Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 510 511 [512] 513 514 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2090960 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #7665 on: May 21, 2015, 10:04:29 pm »

Having formed the Kingdom of Ireland around 900, in 913 I established feudalism.  Instantly a faction pops up
620%: Elective Succession in Eire!

Well, if you insist on me switching away from gavelkind without all the normal requirements for doing so, like universally positive relation and 10 years of reign...  Who am I to defy the will of the people?

Only problem is that it's going to be a royal pain working my way to Absolute Cognatic.  I'm using Better Gender Laws mod, which removes the culture requirements.  It also adds some penalties and conditions, while theoretically adding Enatic options.  One of the problems is that only a woman can introduce absolute cognatic (unless you're enatic-cognatic, in which case it has to be a man heh).  Getting a female ruler under Elective Monarchy seems... essentially impossible.  Ah well, I'll just change succession law right before I establish Britannia.

I'm not sure how tough the Norse invaders are supposed to be in Old Gods.  Last attempt I was Deheubarth (mid Wales) and they kicked my ass with raiding and poaching my conquests.  This time around they got most of England and Skotland, but by 900 or so they were getting torn apart by cultural and religious revolts.  Enough to where I was able to start grabbing bits of Skotland without quite having to hire mercenaries (mainly because the reinforcements from Scandinavia arrived piecemeal, each chunk being about 75% of my army and at half morale!)  By sheer numbers they definitely had me.  Though I could have summoned 2500 men with tribal prestige... twice...  Plus mercs.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7666 on: May 22, 2015, 06:36:17 am »

Getting a female ruler under Elective Monarchy seems... essentially impossible.

Just make her a massive slut and everyone will love her. Literally.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7667 on: May 22, 2015, 07:13:02 am »

DOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO~

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7668 on: May 22, 2015, 07:33:25 am »

Getting a female ruler under Elective Monarchy seems... essentially impossible.

Just make her a massive slut and everyone will love her. Literally.
It's pretty hard to make that happen to someone else, and you have to (die and) get her elected to control the character.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7669 on: May 22, 2015, 08:51:28 am »

The problem is that it's agnatic-cognatic instead of absolute cognatic.  Which, if I understand right, means a woman can't be nominated as long as there are any male candidates in my dynasty (or possibly in the realm at all).  Since I'm not playing ironman for once, as it's pointless with a mod (particularly the looong autosaves), I might do some console testing to see how that actually works.

To pull this off I'm going to need a ruler to only have daughters, and for the succession to be primogeniture (or ultimogeniture or gavelkind).  Otherwise there's just too many candidates for agnatic-cognatic to be any different from agnatic, as far as I know.

I never liked killing dynasty members even under the most crucial circumstances, but I think it's literally impossible to plot against sons now?  And the assassins are gone too.  So I just need to have a daughter then get a divorce I guess.  Or maybe find a mod which provides contraceptives...  That seems perfectly reasonable honestly, particularly with a failure chance.  As-is, even a gay ruler will have as many children as possible, even under gavelkind.

Heck, I bet there's a mod that lets you claim children are bastards.  Preferably with a big prestige hit and a lot of ill-will.  At high crown laws you ought to be able to disinherit someone, at least as part of banishment.  They'd keep a strong claim of course.  I tried that this game, the banished son went to an enemy court but remained my primary heir.

I guess the only vanilla options now are imprison-execute or getting them killed in battle...  Both of which require the kid to grow up, and die, which I don't want.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7670 on: May 22, 2015, 09:05:00 am »

Force them to take vows?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7671 on: May 22, 2015, 09:11:43 am »

Force them to take vows?
Oh right I keep forgetting I'm actually Catholic this time, what with all the church raiding!  (Sadly no more, now that I'm no longer tribal).  I might have to imprison them first but that's relatively easy.  Well...  They do have to grow up before I can do that, so it's not perfect, but there's a good chance all the children will be adults before I die (with my wife becoming infertile due to age).

I think granting bishoprics works too, come to think of it.
She/they

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7672 on: May 22, 2015, 10:37:56 am »

Force them to take vows?
Oh right I keep forgetting I'm actually Catholic this time, what with all the church raiding!  (Sadly no more, now that I'm no longer tribal).  I might have to imprison them first but that's relatively easy.  Well...  They do have to grow up before I can do that, so it's not perfect, but there's a good chance all the children will be adults before I die (with my wife becoming infertile due to age).
I don't think this actually works, I believe one of the requirements of ordering to take the vows is that they can't be heirs to your stuff (at least it was in my current unmodded game)

Making the person a bishop, or even just a successor to a bishop will solve the problem however.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7673 on: May 22, 2015, 11:28:15 am »

I've encountered and interesting bug.

I'm not sure how, but somehow, my republic has managed to get an EXTRA house. Instead of having five houses, there's now six.
I'd suggest killing either the sixth house off, or another, to see if the number remains.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7674 on: May 22, 2015, 01:39:09 pm »

The problem is that it's agnatic-cognatic instead of absolute cognatic.  Which, if I understand right, means a woman can't be nominated as long as there are any male candidates in my dynasty (or possibly in the realm at all).  Since I'm not playing ironman for once, as it's pointless with a mod (particularly the looong autosaves), I might do some console testing to see how that actually works.

To pull this off I'm going to need a ruler to only have daughters, and for the succession to be primogeniture (or ultimogeniture or gavelkind).  Otherwise there's just too many candidates for agnatic-cognatic to be any different from agnatic, as far as I know.

I never liked killing dynasty members even under the most crucial circumstances, but I think it's literally impossible to plot against sons now?  And the assassins are gone too.  So I just need to have a daughter then get a divorce I guess.  Or maybe find a mod which provides contraceptives...  That seems perfectly reasonable honestly, particularly with a failure chance.  As-is, even a gay ruler will have as many children as possible, even under gavelkind.

Heck, I bet there's a mod that lets you claim children are bastards.  Preferably with a big prestige hit and a lot of ill-will.  At high crown laws you ought to be able to disinherit someone, at least as part of banishment.  They'd keep a strong claim of course.  I tried that this game, the banished son went to an enemy court but remained my primary heir.

I guess the only vanilla options now are imprison-execute or getting them killed in battle...  Both of which require the kid to grow up, and die, which I don't want.

Unless one of your mods changes it, you'll be able to nominate any woman you want as heir even if there are males.
Love, scriver~

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7675 on: May 22, 2015, 01:58:57 pm »

I've encountered and interesting bug.

I'm not sure how, but somehow, my republic has managed to get an EXTRA house. Instead of having five houses, there's now six.
I'd suggest killing either the sixth house off, or another, to see if the number remains.
And why would I do that? More people to steal trade posts off of.

EDIT: Nevermind, they died off anyway. And nope, no other family popped up.

Frankly this should just be a feature. Especially in the bigger republics there should be at least 10+ houses.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7676 on: May 22, 2015, 02:34:30 pm »

Force them to take vows?
I don't think this actually works, I believe one of the requirements of ordering to take the vows is that they can't be heirs to your stuff (at least it was in my current unmodded game)

Making the person a bishop, or even just a successor to a bishop will solve the problem however.
I really don't get why they block any and all method of getting rid of your heirs. :/
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7677 on: May 22, 2015, 02:47:49 pm »

Actually according to the tooltip it ought to be allowed if the heir is imprisoned first.  So if necessary you can throw them in a cage and ship them off to church.  Medieval politics are weird!

They can't be married though.  And I can't check on elective right now because a new faction popped up and demanded Seniority...  Beyond these strange demands, my vassals are pretty loyal.  Despite mostly being tribal still.  Also, got a Prepared Invasion against me with about 5X my army.  But the English duchies all came to my aid, totally winning it for me.  Definitely going to remember that favor when I'm ready to unite Britannia...  Also, the fact that the Catholic king of Scotland *didn't* help.
(probably because I hold about a third of his country...  But it's mine!  I won it from the Norse fair and square!)
She/they

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7678 on: May 22, 2015, 03:37:39 pm »

In a recent game my unwanted heir was plotting to kill some random courtier, so I had him imprisoned and executed for only -10 opinion.  For some reason, however, that made my wife hate my guts, so I also had to have her killed eventually, and I did have to get the pope to forgive all my kinslaying. 
Also finally got all the DLC today.  Any recommend mods?  I"m probably going to play vanilla first for a while, but it is good to get everything downloaded ahead of time with the way my internet works.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7679 on: May 23, 2015, 12:08:56 am »

To off dynasty members just imprison them execute...lots of tyranny but gets the job done. As a pagan with gavelkind I tend to rid myself of excess sons this way
Pages: 1 ... 510 511 [512] 513 514 ... 1002