Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 495 496 [497] 498 499 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2090400 times)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #7440 on: March 03, 2015, 04:10:19 pm »

For me, I tend to keep as many vassals as it takes to keep up just under the demesne limit.

IE, if you have a limit of five with 7 counties, keep two vassals.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7441 on: March 03, 2015, 08:50:34 pm »

My latest game has been interesting. Early on, the Magyars founded Hungary but for some reason it split into two kingdoms upon succession. Almos II, who would soon be known as 'the Victorious', was elected King of Magyar while his eldest brother was given Hungary. Almos was trained in the art of war but was not particularly skilled compared to his brothers. His true strength came from his diligence and most of all his patience (and the copious amounts of event troops he inherited). With these virtues he was able to execute a full scale invasion of Greece when the Byzantines were weakened by other wars. His victory shook the world and prompted the Pope to institute the crusades. During the rest of his life Almos was able to reunite Magyar and Hungary, conquer almost all of the Eastern Roman Empire, fend off two crusades and form the Empire of Carpathia. For a century afterward, Carpathia reigned as the largest empire in the known world.

However, surrounded by numerous enemies and with succession laws guaranteed to leave the emperor weak without continuous conquest, it was only a matter of time before the tides were reversed on the Carpathians. In the year 994, Emperor Miklos 'the Unready' was elected. An arbitrary coward, Miklos put an end to a century of unbroken victories. While dealing with internal strife and invasion by the Abbasids, a third crusade for Greece was called. Miklos lacked the skill to deal with these compounding threats. Under his reign, Greece was lost, Armenia and Anatolia were conquered by the Abbasids and, with the exception of some worthless tribal lands, Carpathia was pushed back to its de jure borders. As a final act of surrender, Miklos converted to Catholic to avoid the aggression of his christian neighbours. There was some hope for a resurgence when Zoltan, his Tengri successor took power, but after a failed attempt to reclaim Greece, Zoltan too became Catholic.

Today, Greece is mostly controlled by the Abbasids who conquered the victorious crusader, but there are a few independents who for some reason broke off after the crusade. The Abbasids have truly become monstrous with over 850 controlled provinces. And I thought the Fatimids were bad. Carpathia has never been able to return to their former glory, although they were able to reclaim Constantinople from one of the independents. The Byzantine "Empire" has been permanently reduced to the size of a minor kingdom and would be totally irrelevant but for its control of the Varangian Guard.

As for me, I started as an Irish chieftain and became a republic to get the "Res Publica" achievement. I probably would have discarded the game after getting the achievement were it not for what happened with the Magyars. Eventually I conquered all of Ireland and from there launched an invasion of England to take it from the Norse conquerors and form the Empire of Britannia. Meanwhile, my family took control of nearly every Karling kingdom thanks to a matrilineal marriage to a prince of France and some assassinations when I was still just a chief. Just Lotharingia remains in Karling hands, while my German cousin was deposed by a faction.

Recently, I was able to kill the leader of the Knights Hospitaller to put one of my relatives, a prince of France, in command. Being an empire level republic, it was child's play to grant the Grandmaster a kingdom and make him my heir. So now I have control of one of the two Catholic holy orders, the other being the Knights Templar. Now, since no one seems to donate to the Templars (They still can't afford to give out a 300 gold loan) and the Knights Hospitaller were the only other order, they had accumulated over 90k wealth by the time I took them over. So now I'm the richest man in the world, beating the pope by more than a factor of 15. My question is, what do I do with all this cash? Construction and bribes are a given, and I don't have plans to expand beyond de jure Britannia unless it's to strike back at the vikings who are a constant annoyance.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7442 on: March 04, 2015, 01:55:14 am »

Croatia's back is broken and is absorbed into the Byzantine Empire by the Ua Briain emperor of the Byzantines, Andronikos Ua Briain "The Hunter". Meanwhile, the Sunni are struggling with 11% moral authority and are plagued by heresies and infidelities all over the place, not to mention 0% decadence rulers being rare. I'm wondering whether to holy war for Sinai or Alexandria under the Fatimids, who while strong have a revolt halving their empire, or for Aleppo or Mosul against the Seljuks, who although united are crippled by heresy.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7443 on: March 04, 2015, 03:11:24 am »

Holy shit! My game just bugged out in an amazing way. It happened when I inherited a vassal republic, which I don't think you're supposed to have if you're a republic yourself. Anyway that happens and then I look up and happen to see that my wealth now reads as '2M'. That's right, I now have over two MILLION gold!
                        - Random human lord

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7444 on: March 04, 2015, 03:13:46 am »

That might not even be a bug if you've been playing a couple of centuries. I've noticed AI tends to hoard its money instead of using it and republics make a lot of cash. If you inherited not only the funds of the doge, but all the patrician families and their various members, that is reasonable.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7445 on: March 04, 2015, 03:22:18 am »

That might not even be a bug if you've been playing a couple of centuries. I've noticed AI tends to hoard its money instead of using it and republics make a lot of cash. If you inherited not only the funds of the doge, but all the patrician families and their various members, that is reasonable.

Yeah, in mine the Teutonic Order, while not a republic, have roughly 300,000gold even after spending huge amounts on mercenaries defending their Israeli holdings. No idea where they got it from.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7446 on: March 04, 2015, 03:25:46 am »

A mix of gifts and inheritance: each time a nobleman with cash join the Teutonic Order and dies, the money goes to the Grandmaster.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7447 on: March 04, 2015, 03:29:38 am »

It's definitely a bug. Two million? I'm pretty sure that's more than the entire rest of the world has produced in the two centuries I've been playing. The republic in question had only existed as a republic since my last succession 5 years ago. Holy orders can get a ton of money form donations and it builds up after a while since they have nothing to spend it on, but this money just appeared from nowhere.
                        - Random human lord

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7448 on: March 06, 2015, 07:27:18 am »

Guess who noticed he had a weak claim on the Golden Horde?

Me.

Guess who assassinated the Khagan so he could get a child on the throne so he could press his claim?

Me.

Guess who raised 78,000 Ua Briain Byzantine soldiers, some from as far flung places as Ireland, Scotland, Brittany, Finnmark and Iceland?

Me.

Guess who conquered the Golden Horde's entire doomstack with no help from my allies?

Me.

Guess who's eradicating the family-fun Messalian heresy?

Me.

Not shown in that image is my original holdings in Ireland, Scotland, Iceland, Finnmark and Brittany.

I may post an AAR when this game ends.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7449 on: March 06, 2015, 09:44:29 am »

How could you eradicate the messalians? They rarely show up as is!
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7450 on: March 06, 2015, 09:54:46 am »

How could you eradicate the messalians? They rarely show up as is!

About half of the former Golden Horde's land and rulers are Messalian, so I don't think I'm going to finish it before I run out of in-game time.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7452 on: March 06, 2015, 10:58:04 am »

Aww the game's almost over.

Shortly after that I got slapped with an ultimatum by most of the Golden Horde and Eire-Alba-Iceland for independence because i was so high over my vassal limit. And being that high over my vassal limit meant i could raise precisely 0 vassal levies and only had my retinues and demesne levies. So I border gored the Golden Horde up into independent duchies, but not before i exported the save to EUIV. It also appears i have a casus belli to invade Perm, though I don't think it likely that I will manage it before time's up.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #7453 on: March 06, 2015, 01:47:43 pm »

Has anyone got the When the World Stopped Making Sense mod? It's glorious. Bumps your start date back to 476 at the earliest (meaning a lot more religions to play as), and provides mechanics to simulate the age of migration and increases the amount of provinces in the game significantly to make Northern Africa and Arabia more interesting. My only complaint is that it crashes every so often, so you really can't play on ironman, and that the unfinished Rise of Islam events are disabled by default as they're still working on them.

Some interesting states from an Observer Game I've been running;

-The Great Seas Merchant Company: I'm not sure how this came into existence. Maybe it's a default state at the start. But anyway, it's a titular title that handles succession the same way as a mercenary company does, in charge of the merchant republic of Scotora. They are Messalians, and have managed (through conquests and being a place where claimants can convert to Messalianism) to not only expand significantly but to spread the Messsalian faith to all of Yemen and the Axum Empire. The Preeminent power in the Messalian world, and soon will become the main branch of Nestorianism as the remaining Nestorians are all living in provinces ruled by other faiths.

-The Bolghar Khaganate: This is an example of game mechanics gone horribly right or horrible wrong. Essentially, the Volga Bulgarians invaded what in the base  game is Khiva and Turkestan, forming a massive empire, then somehow started to acquire event troops out the arse. Seriously, at one point they had 250,000 event troops; thankfully they almost all died of attrition before they could utterly break the game, and this bizarre process of troop generation seemed to be unique to a single Khagan. Anyway, they eventually managed to wrest Persia itself from the Sassanids (one of the two strongest powers outside of India at the start) and fight off the massive Byzantine holy war that erupted as soon as their borders touched. They are Tabitans, which is the pagan faith practiced by the Scythians and Iran pre-Zoroastrianism. They managed to reform the faith, so expect a lot more Bolgharian shennanigans in the future.

-Kingdom of Eire: Essentially, Irish Celtic Pagans made a comeback and pushed the Christians out of Ireland. They then conquered Scotland (which went independent due to Gavelkind) and Norway (ditto). Now they're halfway through the conquests of Wales and England. Celtic paganism is strongk!

-Visigothic Empire: The Visigoths were already huge. Then they decided to eat Burgundy, and got so huge they formed an Empire title. Fortunately for the Nicene Christian world, they converted back from the Arian heresy to mainstream Nicene Christianity; otherwise, the Arians would have outnumbered the Nicenes within a few generations as conversions hit and the Visgoths made the Holy Wars that destroyed the other Arian states unwinnable. The Visigothic Empire collapsed around the turn of the 7th century, but left in its wake numerous Nicene Christian kingdoms on every front.

-East Roman Empire: The undisputed strongest state in the World (well, disputed only with the Bolghars, who may well be becoming stronger due to bugged event troop generation) with over 60k men, the ERE is the main Nicene Christian state and controller of 4 of the 5 Patriarchs. They have continually expanded, whether in pushing the Sassanids out of Armenia (which remains an independant Zoroastrian state), expanding into Nubia or their successful conquest of Astoristan (think Southern Mesopotamia) which finally drove their ancient Zoroastrian rivals to near irrelevance. The ERE became an elective monarchy due to faction demands, and its Emperors seem to fall down the stairs and land on multiple knives frequently. These two things could not possibly be related.

-The Sassanid Empire: The main Zoroastrian power and once an equal to the ERE. However, constant wars with Rome and the rise of the Bolghars rendered it almost irrelevant. Currently, it controls only the de-jure Kingdom of Arabia (in the mod, there are 4 kingdoms where Arabia was; Hejaz, Oman, Yemen and Arabia. This is due to there being a lot more provinces there) and following the fall of Cstephion to the Romans has moved their capital to Ridyah. The most interesting thing about them now is that almost all of the land is controlled by a single Queen-level vassal, who looks like she'll be succeeded by another female ruler; in other words, one revolt and the Empressive achievement could be pulled off by the AI, so long as her daughter has no sons of her own.

-West Roman Empire: Surprisingly enough, the Western Empire managed to beat off Odoacer and remains whole. They lost Pannonia, but managed to expand into the Alps, so overall little change in borders over these 150 odd years I've observed. However, their missionaries have spread the Nicene faith to the various Germanic Kingdoms, and only 3 king-level rulers remain who embrace Germanic paganism now, so they've managed to almost eliminate a religion without directly holy warring them.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7454 on: March 06, 2015, 03:46:38 pm »

Last few times I tried that mod I couldn't get anywhere due to crashes. Is it more stable?
Pages: 1 ... 495 496 [497] 498 499 ... 1002