Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 484 485 [486] 487 488 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2091030 times)

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #7275 on: February 09, 2015, 05:35:37 pm »

Gavelkind is the game's Man Mode - It's actually alright if you keep constantly expanding.
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7276 on: February 09, 2015, 05:37:34 pm »

Gavelkind is the game's Man Mode - It's actually alright if you keep constantly expanding.

Er... no. It's alright if you get a higher title than you had when you inherited, or have only one heir, and keep expanding, otherwise you lose a big chunk of your land.

Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7277 on: February 09, 2015, 06:27:30 pm »

I thought gavelkind worked where if you had, say, a kingdom as primary title and a number of counties, you'd not break up, but if you had several kingdoms, you'd break up into the respective kingdoms? Like, you'd only lose land if it was equal to or higher than your current title.

Yeah, this burned me a bit when I started as Munda in India (single county starting between a few kingdoms) because I managed to get another county, but forgot to change my succession thing, so lost the extra county, and had to wait another 40 years to do anything of note.

The kingdom I eventually joined was an amalgam of 3 kingdom titles which constantly broke up and then they all declared war on each other until one guy had it all... and died, upon which it broke up into the 3 separate kingdoms again. In this instance it was a bit of a benefit, because then I could just declare war on a smaller kingdom, instead of one big one once I got big enough.

Basically if you have a lot of your highest title, and have gavelkind succession, the heir you play as will have less land than you had when you died, so it's best to get out of that quickly. The bonuses you get for gavelkind succession (30% Demesne, no need to land your sons) isn't worth the hassle of losing a big chunk of your land.

It's good that your heir still has claims on things, though. Makes it a bit easier to get everything back together.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7278 on: February 09, 2015, 06:28:28 pm »

I thought gavelkind worked where if you had, say, a kingdom as primary title and a number of counties, you'd not break up, but if you had several kingdoms, you'd break up into the respective kingdoms? Like, you'd only lose land if it was equal to or higher than your current title.
Pretty much. Gavelkind is only truly dangerous for counts, since you lose nearly everything when you die.

Also ninja'd
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7279 on: February 09, 2015, 08:34:12 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The next lesson learned came about with the fall of Poland.

The Miroslav King of Poland,
Born from dukes of old
Mazovia and Serbia
Saw one woman worth the bone.
Outside of his rightful marriage,
A bastard reared in a carriage,
And God saw it fit to hit home:
Marriage is not forgot by beer!
So God killed his sons with a cold
And plague did empty King's colon,
Until at last the throne did fall,
Into the bastard baby's thrall.
And centuries old Pole did die,
To give way for the Commonwealth,
Heralded with the bastard's cry.

At its peak the Serbian Empire was bloody strong. With 1k short of 70,000 elite cavalry in the form of Gusar retinues and hundreds of thousands in levies no force on the globe could stand up to the Serbian Empire except itself. Which would be boring.

Seriously, does anyone else consider House prestige > Score?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7280 on: February 09, 2015, 08:45:20 pm »

I've recently started looking at my house prestige a lot, but then again I only have 1 empire title as a pagan.

Well done on your conquest!

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #7281 on: February 10, 2015, 03:43:18 am »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7282 on: February 10, 2015, 10:39:43 am »

LW, how did the Holy Sepulchre get THAT MUCH FRIKKIN GOLD? Do you SEE THAT? IT HAS OVER SEVENTY-THOUSAND GOLD. WHUT.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7283 on: February 10, 2015, 11:18:09 am »

lots of donations? Do AI donate for piety like you can? thats 300 a pop

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7284 on: February 10, 2015, 12:32:58 pm »

Also inheritance from people joining the order I guess. The Templars have 200k gold in my game.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7285 on: February 10, 2015, 01:20:40 pm »

As for ELECTIVE gavelkind (not tried in regular)...if you are willing to slay all your boys or not have any...and you have expanded your dynasty enough then if a cousin or something is elected he takes all titles even if he has brothers...so I usually just kill all my boys so one person always inherits unless I only have 1 boy OR I have some good congenital traits going

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7286 on: February 10, 2015, 01:59:52 pm »

After working my way from count to duke I was able to take advantage of a few shaky successions to institute elective monarchy and get elected as Basileus of the Byzantine empire. I hadn't planned on wielding so much power, but since it fell into my lap I decided to try my hand at restoring the Roman empire. The game, however, seems determined to not make my task easy. The HRE has only gotten bigger, the Seljuks have managed to remain stable and the Shia Caliphate has engulfed all of east Africa and most of Arabia and become a giant blob of death.

I got to experience the full power of the Caliphate when the Caliph declared a jihad for Byzantine Africa which all of his vassals answered. My only ally was Rus, and they spent the entire war fighting Poland. It was nearly fifty thousand Byzantines against at least a hundred thousand Shia. Every time I smashed one of their armies another 20k stack would appear from out of the fog of war. I sent a counter offensive deep behind their lines and captured their capital, but eventually had to withdraw to reinforce the African front. Tens of thousands of men were lost, but we held the line. Eventually the Caliph was forced to admit defeat, but not before the Basileus was maimed in battle, guaranteeing his great reign would end soon. As penance, every prisoner taken by the Byzantines was executed so that their heads might decorate the walls of Constantinople.

Shortly afterward, my character died and his third son took the throne. Unfortunately the new Basileus is not as well liked as his predecessors, he's fairly old and he lacks a good heir. I predict lots of internal strife which could be disastrous if another jihad gets called. After the jihad, the Caliph declared a war on the Seljuks. Still in the mood for revenge, I decided to capitalize on this by declaring a holy war for Jerusalem. I faced minimal resistance, quickly capturing the land and providing enough of a distraction for the Seljuks to get the upper hand. That leaves just Rome to capture before I can mend the Schism, but it probably doesn't help my chances of not getting jihaded.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7287 on: February 10, 2015, 02:11:42 pm »

Nah, but mending the schism means more Orthodox rulers that can help you when you do get Jihaded.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7288 on: February 10, 2015, 03:21:26 pm »

There was also a bishop (he only owned ONE church!) who had 60K gold.

Was he the Bishop of Cluny? Because there is also an even to give them money.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7289 on: February 10, 2015, 03:34:20 pm »

By the way, is there any way to see the arrival dates of an army for each step of the journey? Or even better, the movement costs between provinces in general? I'm tired of getting screwed over by unexpectedly long travel times while the AI can zoom around taking the optimal course every time.

Also, when the great schism is mended and Catholicism becomes an Orthodox heresy it doesn't gain the heresy ability to spread between provinces, correct?
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord
Pages: 1 ... 484 485 [486] 487 488 ... 1002