Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 480 481 [482] 483 484 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2090099 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #7215 on: February 06, 2015, 05:35:56 am »

So how much am I missing out on if I don't buy the DLC?

I plan to get the DLC eventually, it's just a bit expensive for me right now.

A bit. Two of them offer earlier start dates and pre-Feudalism/Republic tribal stuff (I think it's the Old Gods and the Charlemagne ones) and other religious stuff (Sons of Abraham) and INDIA! :o (Raja thing) and also allowing you to play as Pagan factions (Old Gods one agan)

It's not all that much different, just more things to make it more enjoyable. I bought all the DLC I have from sales, so I think my total outlay for the game is something like $60 for everything until Charlemagne, and if I had known how much I'd enjoy them, I'd have paid more than that, too!

One of them adds the Aztecs in the game though... and that can be bad the first time you experience them.

Plus, ninjas (thread-specific, not in-game...)
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

blazing glory

« Reply #7216 on: February 06, 2015, 05:42:13 am »

CK2 DLC system is kind enough that you get the update itself for free, the DLC just lets you play the DLC-specific content.

Either there's some new fangled data compression whatsit or the game is kinda short since the download is merely 600 MB.

So the DLC is already there, it's just buying the DLC unlocks it?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7217 on: February 06, 2015, 05:52:00 am »

CK2 DLC system is kind enough that you get the update itself for free, the DLC just lets you play the DLC-specific content.

Either there's some new fangled data compression whatsit or the game is kinda short since the download is merely 600 MB.

So the DLC is already there, it's just buying the DLC unlocks it?

At least partially. It might download the new events and whatnot on buying the DLC, but, ferex, when the Rajas of India added the Indian Subcontinent, every player got it added to his game regardless of whether or not they had the DLC.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7218 on: February 06, 2015, 06:44:41 am »

Buying the DLC doesn't download any game files (I think it downloads a little file that tells the game you have the DLC unlocked that is unique to your account, but I'm not 100% sure on that), and you can tell this because you can play with the DLC if you play multiplayer and someone with the DLC hosts.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7219 on: February 06, 2015, 08:35:56 pm »

I managed to kill it after about 700 years in game across different games. Was so boring.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7220 on: February 06, 2015, 09:15:47 pm »

So. Um.

My new favourite CK2 religion is Nestorian.

Not only because of the cool cross and hard start (Literally the only one is the Emir of Socotra)

But their heresy is a sect of devil-worshiping incestuous feminists.

I'm still trying to encourage the Cathar heresy in mainland Europe as a West African superpower.  It's awkward.
And twice now I've tried a Basque start only to get curbstomped.  I'll get it soon, and then...  Gender equality for all!

Personally I'm kinda peeved that its literally IMPOSSIBLE to go full enatic without mods. I mean yeah, MEDIEVAL PEOPLE WERE SEXIST. But CK2 is very much ahistorical as soon as the clock starts running, so it just seems WEIRD that you can't set it up where things go the other way. Even with half a century to work with, possibly filled with plenty of strong queens to change public perception.

I also dislike that there isn't a non-religion or culture thing that lets you even attempt absolute cognatic. You would think after enough well liked, successful queens SOMETHING would happen, but nope, totally restricted to this religion or culture. Even if you somehow managed to have nothing but daughters for the full scope of the game, nobody will change their mind about what vagina's do to countries.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7221 on: February 06, 2015, 11:19:04 pm »

The "Better Gender Laws" mod is almost perfect.  The in-game Enatic is basically an unfinished placeholder, which is fine because it's inaccessible without cheating but still.  This mod lets you go absolute cognatic with whatever culture/religion, but people are *very* resistant to it.

Wow, reading this changelog...  Yeah, I think I'm done playing ironman for a while, I'm going to reinstall this mod.

This mod makes it so that all your jobs other than the Lord Spiritual can be given out based on what type of succession you have. Both men and women if cognatic, only men if either type of agnatic, only women if either type of enatic (unless they have a special flag). They'll also all ask to replace your current advisor if they're better suited for the position. Close female relatives will also request land if you have a succession law that lets them be given it, and men won't ask at all if you have a type of enatic succession.
Gender law type can be enforced on imprissoned vassals who aren't using the same type of succession as you.
Finally, there is a new custom heresy called Lilithian for the Miaphysites, which has the power to assume enatic-cognatic succession if they're not already either enatic or enatic-cognatic! If you can take control of Alexandria, you can create a Lilithian Papacy, which will even have a female pope.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

blazing glory

« Reply #7222 on: February 07, 2015, 12:53:49 am »

What ways can I get rid of a vassal?

I get a general vibe from him that he's going to stab me in the back later. (Ambitious, desires my Duchy's, doesn't like me overall, etc...)

The murder plot is going slow at the moment.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7223 on: February 07, 2015, 01:17:18 am »

I get a general vibe from him that he's going to stab me in the back later. (Ambitious, desires my Duchy's, doesn't like me overall, etc...)

Get him excommunicated, fabricate a claim on one of his titles and have him revolt (then just stick him in jail for eternity), things like that.
Blazingglory's options above are the main options for vassals with too small courts or just low total plot power. If that isn't a case then read on.

If there are some high plot power people in his court you could bribe them or (if he has vassals) descredit him with his vassals until you drum up 125-200% support.
You could also get a very low power chaplain to convert his province to make the "declaring heretic" event fire until he gets hit and then confirm it as master. This will give him an opinion malus with others (and you) and it might give you pretext to revoke his title at the right crown authority.
Maybe give him command of a heretical land with poor troops so the religious revolts doom him?
Transfer high intrigue vassals to him (who like you more!) to try to get them to join the plot?

Just thought of something I did in my Norse king of scot-ireland where I had someone I hate marry my heavy intrigue daughter who had 100 opinion of me. He went into hiding but he still didn't last long, especially after marrying my daughter. I wish I could make her my heir.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7224 on: February 07, 2015, 01:19:14 am »

Please.

You can use those options, take 50 years, low chances of success, and be incredibly lame.

Or you can be hardcore, imprison every single direct vassal, revoke them all, then replace them with fat worthless old men with no children. Since you're a duke, this is incredibly easy.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7225 on: February 07, 2015, 02:36:02 am »

You can also send your spymaster to the vassal's capital to search for plots.  If the vassal hates you enough, he's probably plotting *something*, and finding the plot will give you an excuse to imprison.  Don't forget the Court Jester honorary title!  I like that it actually has a tiny wage, but it's so worth it just to spite someone (and push them to make a miss-step).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7226 on: February 07, 2015, 02:42:37 am »

If you have a vassal that has the intrigue goal, he usually rats out his comrades to you too.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7227 on: February 07, 2015, 02:54:35 am »

Personally I'm kinda peeved that its literally IMPOSSIBLE to go full enatic without mods. I mean yeah, MEDIEVAL PEOPLE WERE SEXIST. But CK2 is very much ahistorical as soon as the clock starts running, so it just seems WEIRD that you can't set it up where things go the other way. Even with half a century to work with, possibly filled with plenty of strong queens to change public perception.

I also dislike that there isn't a non-religion or culture thing that lets you even attempt absolute cognatic. You would think after enough well liked, successful queens SOMETHING would happen, but nope, totally restricted to this religion or culture. Even if you somehow managed to have nothing but daughters for the full scope of the game, nobody will change their mind about what vagina's do to countries.

What do you think this is a simulation game? Pfffft

But on a more serious note... The game tries to box you in, in some ways and will often let characters act contrary to their personality simply to continue its form of gameplay.

You shouldn't expect to seriously break anything in any reasonable way... such as create your own religion (which did occur)

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7228 on: February 07, 2015, 04:18:24 am »

I finally caved in and bought the Way of Life and Legacy of Rome DLCs. I didn't get to see much of the Legacy of Rome stuff due to being a Barcelonan count with no real avenues for expansion, but being a complete bastard (literally and figuratively) with the intrigue focus was fun. It even saved my ass once when the duke decided to revoke my county and I managed to get him murdered before he could siege my holdings.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7229 on: February 07, 2015, 05:36:20 am »

I finally caved in and bought the Way of Life and Legacy of Rome DLCs. I didn't get to see much of the Legacy of Rome stuff due to being a Barcelonan count with no real avenues for expansion, but being a complete bastard (literally and figuratively) with the intrigue focus was fun. It even saved my ass once when the duke decided to revoke my county and I managed to get him murdered before he could siege my holdings.

Seduction is even funnier. A king declares war on you? Screw his wife!
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 480 481 [482] 483 484 ... 1002