Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2090268 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #7020 on: January 25, 2015, 04:14:02 pm »

That sounds like a bug (or some supersecret new patch). My siegers take as much attrition as usual. If you were sieging defensive Pagan lands, then I'd understand - but Venice? Shouldn't happen. Maybe those sneaky Venetians are attacking your siege troops with stashed armies every time you look away?

Has anyone actually seen the Shia succeed recently? It seems to me they're crushed no matter where they pop up.

Maybe it's some kind of bug related to being an unreformed feudal pagan?

I started as a Welsh ruler in Old Gods and managed to beat down some pagans and expand a bit into England. At one point my son converted to Germanic religion without me realizing it (Germanic lands in my demesne, not sure if that's why he converted) and when my king died in battle I suddenly became a feudal Welsh lord with Germanic religion (which is hilariously awesome). So I'm raiding and looting and stuff as a Welsh pagan lol. Did a prepared invasion of Frisia and became the king of Frisia, using the now Welsh Germanic Brugge as my capital. This is the first time I have managed to pull Welsh culture into mainland Europe before 900. Raid money has been pouring in, but losing so many troops is frustrating. I keep having to hire mercenaries to defend myself because when I'm attacked I inevitably have about zero troops due to raiding losses.

Been working on reforming the faith, maybe that will fix things? I would have it already if my Germanic friends didn't suck so much. Have 4 holy sites but despite me successfully looting 12 temples and winning numerous sieges I'm still below 50 authority due to all the holy war losses that keep appearing due to the tiny splintered Germanic counties getting eaten up by Catholic rulers. Cautious to try and get the last holy site because I know that starts Catholic holy wars, and I suspect they will target the big pagan sitting in mainland Europe.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7021 on: January 25, 2015, 06:55:01 pm »

So I got the Saoshyant achievement. I think even including the SPQR achievement, this was the hardest for me to do. Mostly because this patch makes it so much harder to expand compared to how it used to be.

It took me about 60 restarts before I managed to survive the first generation without being mauled by every single Muslim in the world. I couldn't do it at all with the Zoroastrian duke so I used the Dalian count that's next to the Caliphate. You might think that's insane (you can't win with the duke next to pagans so you started next to one of the largest empires in the world?!) but there's only one threat when you're in Dalian compared to the three from the duchy. It's far easier to manage a single threat even if that threat is so freaking massive.

Basically if you can survive long enough to become a kingdom, you should be alright though you better hope and pray the inevitable jihad doesn't come at a horrible time.

I don't think there's any other real achievements left for me to get. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to get The British Raj but that's basically the only major achievement left that I haven't gotten outside of the Charlemagne stuff.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7022 on: January 25, 2015, 07:33:09 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
SCHISMS FIXED, SHOTS FIRED, GUSARS DRUNK;
THE BYZANTINES FELL AND CAN'T GET BACK UP!
SERBIA FOREVER! SERBIA STRONK!

[The Serbian Empire triumphed over the Byzantine Empire, restored the Roman Empire (which in turn was hijacked by the Serbian Empire) and mended the Great Schism].
Some notable Christian Kings clinging to the heretic ways include the Catholic English King and the Fraticelli Britanny King (both being stomped by the good Orthodox Scottish King) and many of the Karlings; Calatravan-controlled Aquitaine largest amongst them. This will likely be the death-knell of the Karling dominance in Western Europe as those Carolingians too stubborn to join Jesus will be absorbed in Serbia's Western expansion. Serbian culture is also beginning to take over Russian culture. Soon Serb culture will be only culture.

North of the Serbian Empire stands the Kingdom of Poland and the Empire of Serbian Rus. The Kingdom of Poland was taken over by the Miroslav Dukes of Mazovia, survivors of the failed state of Lesser Poland. A small but relevant nation, the Polish Miroslav branch has survived invasions from Serbian Rus, infidel Lithuania and even boasts the feat of destroying the teutonic knights (with some Serb help of course). The Empire of Serbian Rus was formed after the fourth Great Conquering of the pagan lands; faction members consistently demanded that the Kingdoms of Rus and Ruthenia rejoin the Serbian Empire every time I gave them independence until at last the Serbian Empire of Rus was formed and the faction members were for the most part content; voicing their displeasure through an elective monarchy instead of outright war. Though some dukes managed to become independent. In the south at North Africa the Duchy of Tripolitania was given independence and thrown in the deep end, surrounded by infidel Sunni states. The Duchy of Tripolitania secured several key alliances with Catholics (most notably with the Papacy itself) and eventually conquered the neighbouring Sunni states in order to form the Kingdom of Africa and become a major power in its own right. The Kingdom of Africa is notable for being the only Miroslav state which is not truly Serbian; the Miroslavs in charge assimilated to the Berber culture and dress and partake in the customs of Arabs. In the East is the Eastern Serbian Empire, formed from the ashes of the old Byzantine Empire. After the Byzantine Empire fell in a storm of Serbs (with Rus Serbs fighting Serb Serbs, African Serbs and Polish Serbs) the borders for the Kingdom of Greece were remade and the great Empires split in two. No one Serb should have all that power. The Eastern Serbian Empire still only has Kingdom level titles, though at a future time I will attempt to reform the Kingdom of Africa and the Eastern Serbian Empire under the de jure title of the Empire of Arabia, yet Emperor title or no it still has many of the old Byzantine Empire's lands including some additional Italian duchies. At the heart of it all is the true successor to the Roman Empire: The Serbian Empire. Its borders now extend to its every maximum historical borders and a bit beyond, now including the Greek peninsula. It also controls all 5 Pentarchs. It is going to wreck Western Europe with the gallop of 22,000 Gusars!

The current plan is to use the chaos of the Great Schism's mending to establish the Holy Serbian Empire, Serb Francia, Serb Hispania, Serb Italia, Serb Britannia, Serb Scandinavia and the Serbian Commonwealth all under one Western Serbian Empire. Serb Rus would get Serb Scandinavia but I don't know how I'd regain control of Serb Rus without having to break it, unless I got elected as heir again. After that only the Persians and Arabs will have to fall and they're already being chipped away by the Kingdom of Africa and the Eastern Serbian Empire.

Serbian Empire and the Eastern Serbian Empire. Miropolan and Mirorus to the North. It amuses me to no end that the Kingdom of Georgia still remains as unchanged as ever.

Out of the top 5 powers in Europe, 4 are Miroslavs. The Knights of Calatrava get notable mention for being the strongest Catholic and strongest Karling power still enduring and Marrakech is an unfortunate nation. Marrakech has endured so many crusades and holy wars and I distinctly recall them being the only western Sunni muslim power actually mad enough to try to send troops to the Eastern Jihad through Miroslav Africa and Miroslav Serbia. Needless to say, tens of thousands of Marrakechens died in foreign lands in vain. Far down at the bottom is Poland, who all things considered are doing quite well.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7023 on: January 25, 2015, 11:09:25 pm »

Finally, after decades of watching my kingdom fall apart, a costly war to usurp the usurper and several years of tyranny, Georgia is once again stable and almost back to its former glory. The Seljuks collapsed into a dozen or so feuding minor powers which allowed me to take back Albania relatively easily. There is still an ugly shaft of magenta reaching into the heart of Georgia from opportunistic Byzantine invasions. With a de jure claim on my entire kingdom and the manpower to back it up, the Byzantines are my worst enemy right now. Worse yet, all the setbacks I have suffered have left me with only about 50 years to prepare for the mongols.

If I'm going to survive, I need to expand, quickly. The lands to the north are worthless undeveloped tribes, so that's no good. I can only hope the remnants of the Seljuks are too busy fighting each other to band together against me and I can win some holy wars. Georgia's about as close to mongol ground zero as you can get with a christian start, and I intend to give them a fight.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7024 on: January 26, 2015, 02:16:42 am »

You should be fine, the worst the Mongols can do is take a duchy or two before they fall apart. If you have about 100,000 men you can also fight them off. Might not even need that many depending on how many people the Mongols are going to war with at the same time.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7025 on: January 26, 2015, 03:37:01 am »

Same as the aztecs - once you blunt their initial event troops, they're harmless. The issue is merely having enough men to make a sizable dint in their army - in my case, I white peace'd the invasion of Connacht by the Aztecs, emptying my treasury to fight them off with nearly all the mercs and holy orders that I could hire. In the end i had ~85,000 to their ~100,000, and while my army died to the last man, the Aztecs were reduced to a small army of ~11,000 and thus were too weak to attack anyone else.

Right now they're just chilling out in Connacht doing absolutely nothing because they have no land and are too weak.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7026 on: January 26, 2015, 08:31:50 am »

EDIT: The game hates me. Try to revoke a title via plot, war happens. OK, fine. Pull up a ~1200 man army versus their ~250. Goes as expected. Mercia joins the war for some reason (they weren't allied to them when it started.). OK, fine, just finish the war ASAP. Oh, an 800 man army. Kill that off. Wait, my ruler was rendered incapable? OH FFS! Great, now the guy I was at war with is my regent...
This is why I always raise my army and park it on the revokable lands before using the plot. They get raised with 0 morale and you can hit them in chunks.

AND I had two sons earlier. Got the gate to hell event. Chose to sacrifice my son, since it was my heir that would be sacrificed and I wanted my other genius son to take the throne. I'll point out now I checked, double checked and triple checked it was the right son I wanted to get rid of. The game proceeded to do a little switcharoo on me so when I confirmed it my genius son got killed instead.
Ouch.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7027 on: January 26, 2015, 10:24:15 am »

Started as vassal Duke of Gascogne with a mission to spread glorious absolute-cognatic thanks to Basque culture.  Pretty much forgot how to play a non-pagan non-republic.  Started a faction to replace my liege (who was pretty ineffectual and despised) with the King of West Francia, who apparently had a claim.  Being part of West Francia sounded like a great way to be protected from the Ummayads.

My liege called in several major powers including East Francia and... West Francia.  West Francia joined the war to stop me from delivering them the kingdom.  Going to try again later with more patience.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7028 on: January 26, 2015, 10:45:16 am »

Spoiler: I look stupid, right? (click to show/hide)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7029 on: January 26, 2015, 12:48:17 pm »

With that much land and that much martial skills, no-one looks stupid.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7030 on: January 26, 2015, 01:04:32 pm »

Heh.

Did I mention his father had 31 person skill and about 50 state martial? :P

No ruler designer or cheats.

Svipjod ruler at the Charlemagne start.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7031 on: January 26, 2015, 01:05:59 pm »

Not to mention a pagan trade republic!  And the Fylkirate of course.
... in 807 I see.  Wow  :o
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7032 on: January 26, 2015, 01:36:48 pm »

...Did I accidentally speed run it? :P

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7033 on: January 26, 2015, 01:57:51 pm »

The stupid patrician outfits were pretty jarring for me as well when I did a Scandinavia republic.

"My dear Jorgben, what a festive blouse for today's sacrificial hanging!"
"Quite, and I do admire that rather dashing plumage. Did you kill it yourself?"

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7034 on: January 26, 2015, 03:41:15 pm »

I've had to deal with a lot of bullshit during this playthrough but this takes the cake. I've been waging a holy war on the most powerful Seljuk offshoot with the help of the Byzantine empire. Things have been going okay until now, even though the Byzantines got most of my own troops killed by attrition and forced me to hire mercenaries. But now an army of 10000 has shown up for a counterattack and the Byzantines have mostly gotten themselves killed or retreated. They go after my sieging army of about 8000, but I figure I can hold them off since my army's hunkered down in a mountain and my character is skilled in mountain defense. Well their army moves in and for whatever reason the game doesn't register it as an attack. They just sit there and my army starts taking attrition from the thousands of troops in the area. Worse yet, if I try to move my army the game thinks they're the attackers! I don't think I'll feel bad about savescumming through this nonsense.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord
Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 1002