Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 465 466 [467] 468 469 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2090541 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #6990 on: January 23, 2015, 06:49:57 pm »

I'm definitely going to play a Cathar or Basque next.  Not sure which would be easier...  Basque culture is safe, but Cathar heresy would have more potential.  If I can get it off the ground.  I don't even think there are any Cathars in 866.  The best strategy would be to start as Norse pagan and abduct a cathar heretic as concubine in order to convert.  Makes the early game easier too, since pagan.

Edit: For anyone not familiar with the mechanics, the only way to enact gender-neutral succession is to have Basque culture or Cathar religion (a catholic heresy).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6991 on: January 23, 2015, 06:55:16 pm »

I really recommend a one life game. Never play as your heir, just save and load up as somebody else with each death.

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6992 on: January 23, 2015, 07:20:04 pm »

I managed to win the damn war.  5 years and hundreds of thousands of soldiers lost...  At one point it was looking bad, -61% war score and everything..

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6993 on: January 23, 2015, 08:41:44 pm »

Well, as I suspected I wasn't able to save my crown as the king of Georgia. I inherited a -86% warscore and had only a few weeks before my capital would be captured. I hired mercenaries, called for help from my former daughter and mustered the few troops the AI had left scattered around for one final desperate attempt to break the siege. We outnumbered the enemy, but they were hunkered down in a mountain and my mercenaries' morale didn't have time to fill. For a while it looked like we might make it, but the faithless mercenaries broke in the face of the entrenched enemy soldiers. My crown was stolen and I was imprisoned, left without even enough gold to ransom myself.

So now I'm basically back to square one, except now Georgia is splintered and completely surrounded by powerful infidels. The kingdom of Alania I had built in my previous life is breaking apart with four Six(!) factions vying for control of its lands, and one of them is the goddamn Byzantine Empire, vultures. A couple counts have tried to form factions to give me back Georgia, but I can't do anything until I get out of this damn dungeon.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 08:53:40 pm by nogoodnames »
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Aerval

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6994 on: January 24, 2015, 05:05:59 am »

I really recommend a one life game. Never play as your heir, just save and load up as somebody else with each death.

I rather play always 3 generations because that includes strategic marriages, you can play as count and actially achieve something and (especially for me) you get more attached to the familiy you play (with one life you only have ~20 - 30 years each and therefore play more than 20 countries in a game -> too much for me)

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6995 on: January 24, 2015, 09:33:04 am »

I rather play always 3 generations because that includes strategic marriages, you can play as count and actially achieve something and (especially for me) you get more attached to the familiy you play (with one life you only have ~20 - 30 years each and therefore play more than 20 countries in a game -> too much for me)

Good idea. This also makes the game more of a story than a POWER POWER POWER struggle. Also, would make a good entry into the EUIV converter. :)
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6996 on: January 24, 2015, 09:48:51 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6997 on: January 24, 2015, 12:42:09 pm »

Wales continues to expand.
http://i.imgur.com/1NcBW7k.png

Taking on the Abbasids is going to be a really slow journey sadly.  As far as I can tell anyway.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6998 on: January 24, 2015, 01:39:54 pm »

MIROSLAVS, EVERYWHERE

KARLINGS, FADING

MAKEDONS, REMAINING

Serb culture is beginning to spread its influence across Eastern Europe; its presence in North Africa has been greatly limited to Serbian Alexandria after the Miroslav King of Africa assimilated into the Berber culture. Various heresies maintain their presence within Catholic and Orthodox Christianity whilst both sects battle to win a hold over Scandinavia; Norway will most likely be Catholic whilst Sweden will be Orthodox. In the Muslim world twice Shia Islam has arisen; it has not yet enjoyed any lasting success. Judaism has also begun a takeover of West-African paganism. Caught between the Catholics of the West and the Orthodox of Africa, Western Islam will likely be lost to the passage of time.

The Merchants of Pest (vassals of the Serbian Empire) have alongside the Republic of Venice and Genoa survived and thrived tumultuous times. The Merchant Republic of Amalfi was destroyed by the Byzantine Empire, its last Doges and Patricians having their eyes gouged.

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6999 on: January 24, 2015, 02:11:43 pm »

It's not much of a problem and I have a lot of time to war my way slowly through.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7000 on: January 24, 2015, 03:58:04 pm »

I'm a bit curious how you can maintain an empire with 42 vassals with only 4 demenses.

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7001 on: January 24, 2015, 04:36:46 pm »

I haven't really had any trouble.  Sometimes independence factions get rather large but some money tends to help with that.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7002 on: January 24, 2015, 06:19:57 pm »

"Money".  *wink wink*

Edit:

I just started a game to try and get the Zoroastrian achievement.

Old gods. Pick some random zoroastrian dude. Want to get married. Only woman available for marriage is this.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7003 on: January 24, 2015, 10:00:12 pm »

"Money".  *wink wink*

Edit:

I just started a game to try and get the Zoroastrian achievement.

Old gods. Pick some random zoroastrian dude. Want to get married. Only woman available for marriage is this.

That's historical anyway. I always marry her when I play Karen, the opinion bonus is too good to pass up.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7004 on: January 24, 2015, 11:43:43 pm »

Disregard western morality, obtain Xwedodah.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 465 466 [467] 468 469 ... 1002