Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 463 464 [465] 466 467 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2090625 times)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #6960 on: January 21, 2015, 10:09:10 am »

Sounds like a bug, this event
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I can't see any bug. Unless it has anything to do with the parentheses, which I'm too lazy to count right now.
I think he's saying that it's a Charlemagne DLC event that fires even if you don't have the DLC, but I'm not completely sure of that.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6961 on: January 21, 2015, 03:51:04 pm »

Another screeny for my Empire.  Took some more land

http://i.imgur.com/KvCWAJl.png

We are expanding well again.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6962 on: January 21, 2015, 04:19:35 pm »

I've found I seriously have trouble getting off the ground as a one-province tribal leader, no matter where I start.  I suspect this is purely because I'm useless.   :P  What's the general start-of-game strategy for e.g. a tribal leader in the Nordic areas?

(I'm playing with all the major DLCs - I'm simply not particularly skilled!)  :-\
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6963 on: January 21, 2015, 06:12:33 pm »

Sounds like a bug, this event
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I can't see any bug. Unless it has anything to do with the parentheses, which I'm too lazy to count right now.
I think he's saying that it's a Charlemagne DLC event that fires even if you don't have the DLC, but I'm not completely sure of that.
I mean that it's a bug that the event doesn't fire and they added visigothic in the old gods start. Half of iberia is still visigothic which is highly unlikely considering all the events that fire with charlemagne.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6964 on: January 21, 2015, 06:34:44 pm »

I've found I seriously have trouble getting off the ground as a one-province tribal leader, no matter where I start.  I suspect this is purely because I'm useless.   :P  What's the general start-of-game strategy for e.g. a tribal leader in the Nordic areas?

(I'm playing with all the major DLCs - I'm simply not particularly skilled!)  :-\

It's actually really, really hard! Some simple things which may help are gaining lots of allies by marriage, and training your heir in martial so he gets more levies. Also, wait until your target is already at war / just been in a war before pouncing.
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6965 on: January 21, 2015, 08:22:22 pm »

You also should probably restart the game until your starting ruler has a decent martial score.

If viking and using the Old Gods start it is probably easiest to go pillaging right at the start and use the resulting prestige to build out your holding (go for the building that gives the most extra troops, multiplied by your martial score and the the empty holdings in your province that could easily give you 300-400 soldiers more). Don't forget to set your marshal to "Train troops" too.

Easiest place to raid would probably be Hamburg, since it's a bishopry and therefore much faster to siege. Just plop down your spymaster in Braunschweig beforehand, so you can see incoming armies and get back onto your ships soon enough.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6966 on: January 21, 2015, 09:29:39 pm »

Check who your heir is.  If it's not a son or daughter, but another relative who might have his own holding, you might want to get yourself killed.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6968 on: January 22, 2015, 12:52:05 am »

The strategy I'm using for count start is pretty much "breed like a hyperactive rabbit and marry all the resulting offspring to whoever, eventually my dynasty will have control of SOMETHING and I can seniority to get all their stuffs."

Basically with the Hapsburg plan you let the AI do the hard part for you! :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6969 on: January 22, 2015, 12:56:20 am »

The Moussa family will rue this day, mark my words...

Heheh, mission successful and much fun was had, over the course of 4 rulers.  A true family feud.
My originally wronged character tried to spy on the Moussa (currently his Doge) but couldn't, so spied on his wife instead.  Found evidence of foul play and released it, making them hate each other.  Eventually the villain died and another family won the Dogeship.  Then my character died.  In a feudal system the wrong probably would have been forgotten at this point, but no!  This feud was more than either patrician, it was between two great houses.  Two deaths was not nearly enough.

But a third sounded lovely.  My heir eagerly started plotting the death of his rival.  Bandits were hired, an ambush set.  And thwarted.  No formal allegations were raised, but later the Moussa held a party and invited "Anyone not of House Cisse".  The audacity!  The feud was formalized that day, as we were bodily thrown from their stupid loser party for jerks.

This affront was properly answered in the third generation.  Our court chancellor happened to find a "completely legit" deed to half the duchy of Tripolitana, their meager holding.  Their protests of "Seriously?" were met with war drums.  Very briefly.  The loyalty of the Free Warrior retinues made it a short war indeed.  At this point the feud almost seemed over...  Perhaps the Moussa had suffered enough?

That's just what we *wanted* them to think.  A few years later House Cisse reacquired their rightful place at the head of the Principality.  And we two delightful discoveries:
1) Another forgotten deed, this one to House Moussa's last sole remaining county (Our 26-skill chancellor found it in less than a month!  very lucky.)
2) That, as their liege, we were allowed to simply "revoke" their county and nobody would even mind.

Knowing the depth of their defeat, the Moussa's simply let us have the county (our ancestors gave lent it to theirs, anyway).  They now have their pitiful house, a single town, and laughably the duchy of Tripolitania... Despite holding no land anywhere near it.  And just to be thorough, we threw their patrician off a balcony.  Everyone pretended not to see.  Surely now they rue the day they stole trade posts from House Cisse.  Let them be an example!

(Checking relation modifiers, we're somehow feuding with them twice at once.  I rarely murder in this game, but for this family I have made an exception.  Three trade posts really don't matter this much, I'm just happy to have a goal - their extermination. 

I've resolved to not expand the empire any farther, except when the High Priest calls Great Holy Wars... which is how we got all of Andalusia.  I *have* been raiding a lot, though, particularly since I noticed that it can destroy trade posts of other republics.  Stand aside Pisa, and... "Italian Revolt".  Huh.

The Shia just tried to launch *again*, this is the third time.  Interestingly they seem to have opened an opportunity for the Zoroastrians, who are actually getting some territory...  Though as the Manichean heresy)

Edit:  Of *course* the feud wasn't really over.  My son caught the Mousse smuggling cargo, and came up with a plan to expose them.  Unfortunately he got captured...  They demanded 200 gold or they'd murder him right in front of me!  So I paid the gold.  Then I paid another 600 gold and designated him heir.  He became Grand Prince of Mali at 25 years old.  He's going to have a looong reign to make them pay for what they tried to do.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 01:09:28 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6970 on: January 22, 2015, 01:10:27 am »

So. What's the best way to get tax revinue?

I currently am getting about 6 gold a month, however it peaks at around 8 and at its low it's about 5.

Note: I am a 7-8 county duchy under the Byzantines, who are currently being Jihaded by the muslim ball of death.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6971 on: January 22, 2015, 02:13:42 am »

Well, as a duke I don't think you can play with tax rate. Try to have several holdings in the same county and drop your steward there. Then try to keep your vassals happy. City vassals hates you, but bring tons of cash.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6972 on: January 22, 2015, 03:50:14 am »

I'm pretty sure you can play with tax rate as a duke under the law screen. You want to tax the shit out of city vassals.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6973 on: January 22, 2015, 04:58:49 am »

If you have Way of Life, the business focus is a good way to make money through the associated events.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6974 on: January 22, 2015, 05:03:18 am »

You might try to find some landless dude with tons of cash and steal it and/or steal stuff from your vassal.

I just made about 24k from on of my Bishop that way.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 463 464 [465] 466 467 ... 1002