Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 462 463 [464] 465 466 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2090643 times)

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #6945 on: January 20, 2015, 05:56:23 am »

Time. The cruel, relentless march of time. In my 1360s game, all the big Karling powers are gone (East Francia (Germany now) and Bavaria are ruled by random Germans, West Francia went Cathar and was crusaded and given over to one of the Holy Orders. The same happened to Italy, with the Knights Hospitalier. The only Karling kings now are of Burgundy.

If you don't want to just wait them out... well, marry them, I guess? There's just a sea of Karling claimants waiting even if you inherit one of their thrones.
I'm interested in what the effects on the modern day would be if a decent chunk of Europe's history involved it being partitioned by Holy Orders.
Moreso than the Teutonic and Livonian Order ?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6946 on: January 20, 2015, 08:56:58 am »

As promised!
THE GLORIOUS EMPIRE OF (FINNISH) SCANDINAVIA, AD 1453

How shining her waters! How lofty her treetops! How... dirt-like her... dirt.

Spoiler: Europa! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Religion Map! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ledger (click to show/hide)

I think that's it. It's been a hell of a lot of fun, 867 to 1453. Should maybe have documented it better, but oh well. General history follows;

1. Start as High Chief in southern Finland.
2. Conquer Finland.
3. Conquer Sweden and Norway (and expand in the east).
4. Lose Sweden and Norway as first ruler dies. As Finland, conquer in the east, turn into a feudal kingdom, reform the Suomenusko faith. AI dynasty member somehow manages to take the throne of Volga Bulgaria and reclaims the last holy sites for me. My family is the best. The Suomenusko Holy Order is also dominated by my dynasty.
5. At some point, reclaim Sweden and conquer Lithuania.
6. Conquer Denmark (though Norway grabs Sjaelland, bastards).
7. Eventually, conquer enough of Norway's provinces to form Scandinavia. Quickly proceed to claim Rus (pressing dynasty members' claims makes them your vassal), reclaim Volga Bulgaria and eventually, Norway. Conquer Ruthenia in several crusades, eradicating the last bastions of Slavic.
8. My vassals Holy War Pomerania again and again - they're of my dynasty, so they call ALL OF THE FAMILY, ACROSS EIGHT KINGDOMS, to war every time. When they're done, form the King title for myself, hah.
9. Eventually, here we are. I had to beat back three Crusades in the late game - an easy one for Sweden, a near-death one for Pomerania (crusading orders control most of Europe->HARDCORE CRUSADES) and a tough-but-beaten-back second for Pomerania.

Whooow. Now to EUIV! Some of the pictures might be a bit big, apologies.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6947 on: January 20, 2015, 11:47:39 am »

Uh oh, my Most Serene Republic of Mali game has hit that point where my retinues could katamari over the world.  And then I'll just resign again rather than stamp tedious rebellions for hundreds of years.  I need to figure out what my borders should be, and stick with them...  I am *determined* to actually see *either horde invasion*.  I always start in 867 and quit around 1000 after essentially winning.

I'm thinking I don't need the kingdom of Egypt.  I've already taken most of the kingdom of Africa, just waiting on a truce to absorb the islamic-king's last county.  Seems slightly silly that I can't usurp from him just because "It's his primary title and he's of a different religious group".  Then again, he does hold land in the kingdom... for now.  Once (the kingdom of) Africa is mine, I should be able to form the Empire Principality of Mali.  Better yet, I'll embargo those silly european trade posts.  Maybe even take Sicily... No, bad!  Stop expanding for no reason!

...  Okay I'll take Sicily, but only because it's an island instead of mainland Europe.  I'll try not to take Andalusia from the muslims, but if they give my trade posts any trouble, I might just.  Maybe after I've converted my African holdings to the African religion, as they should be.

Also, it helps that I unexpectedly lost the last election, so the game is encouraging me to sit back and chill for a while.  It's a good time for it, my palace will be upgrading for another 4 years or so.  I might lose some elections on purpose just to see what the AI does with all this land.  Probably not much, since the retinues stayed with me, and our levies are frankly pitiful...  Roughly 3K levies, 9K Spirit Guardians holy order, 3K that ONE mercenary company who deigns take our money, and I think 17K retinues.  All "free warriors", the African special units (light infantry and archers, my favorite)...  Which reminds me I need to find and upgrade the cultural building, I've never done that.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6948 on: January 20, 2015, 11:52:00 am »

Why do you need the Kingdom of Africa? Can't you create the Empire-level title with Mali and Mauritania?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6949 on: January 20, 2015, 11:55:22 am »

Actually no, it has a somewhat odd requirement that you own Kingdom of Mali plus 1 kingdom that *isn't* Mauretania.  From memory, that's all it requires (maybe a cultural requirement too, but I'm still Mali culture despite basically moving into Berber-ville).

Edit:  Ah, I misremembered slightly - Mauretania *is* required, as is Mali.  But then you need one additional kingdom of your choice.  Plus the normal 80% of the dejure lands, but for this empire that's trivial - its de jure lands are just the Kingdom of Mali.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 12:01:04 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6950 on: January 20, 2015, 05:52:15 pm »

Sorry for the double post, but... WHAT??
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=378652437

Doges can do this???  I thought Doges specifically couldn't sieze trade posts at all, it was supposed to be the ONE disadvantage of being Doge!  But this looks like a special doge-only dialog!?  I swear.

It even put him above his trade post limit.  I can't even...  I hardly ever plot to kill, but this time it feels fully justified.  I'm just *lucky* it broke control of only one sea region.

Also, this happened right after my previous character died, which happened right after I decided to go for this monstrosity:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=378607477

Not to be pessimistic, but I'm betting all the debt I went into for that is wasted now.  Oh, and my retinue raiders in Andalusia who were raising funds?  Lost their looter status on succession, so now I have to ship them back home to re-arm.  EDIT: And my only two counties are ON THE EAST END OF THE EMPIRE, next to EGYPT the Abbasids.

The Moussa family will rue this day, mark my words...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 05:56:22 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6951 on: January 20, 2015, 06:00:11 pm »

The current state of the Welsh Empire:
http://i.imgur.com/RSxsO3r.png?1

Also with Iceland included, and that spot in Scotland was recently retaken.  Where to invade next though, hmm.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6952 on: January 20, 2015, 06:24:13 pm »

Someone needs to take Ruthenia down a peg.

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6953 on: January 20, 2015, 06:26:21 pm »

Working on it, that is 3 different counties in 3 different duchies so it is 3 holy wars away.  Still waiting for the truce to end from taking their other county away.  So sad. 

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6954 on: January 20, 2015, 06:35:21 pm »

I'm currently going for Jewish Wales.
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6955 on: January 20, 2015, 08:17:15 pm »

If I manage to get to the end I may just remember to do that.  I am playing it rather slowly, has taken a while to get to the year I am in.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6956 on: January 20, 2015, 11:28:57 pm »

How are Visigoths still a thing? Did they create a custom kingdom? Bulgarian Scotland and Italy-Occitan switch is hilarious.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6957 on: January 21, 2015, 01:08:46 am »

Visigothic culture exists at 867 start, and somehow it's survived all these years. Castile might be Visigothic, that'd explain it. Sadly, no custom kingdoms - I don't have Charlemagne, yet.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6958 on: January 21, 2015, 08:07:26 am »

Sounds like a bug, this event
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And all the other for charlemagne culture events must not fire when you don't have the dlc. Guess they didn't do any testing for changing the old gods start without owning the dlc  ::).

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6959 on: January 21, 2015, 08:13:11 am »

Sounds like a bug, this event
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I can't see any bug. Unless it has anything to do with the parentheses, which I'm too lazy to count right now.
Pages: 1 ... 462 463 [464] 465 466 ... 1002