Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 457 458 [459] 460 461 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2091096 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #6870 on: January 10, 2015, 10:28:15 am »

Pope Stephenus II was just succeeded by Pope Hilarius II

So not only is there now a clown pope, but there was a PREVIOUS clown pope.

This is a wonderful new thing I have found.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6871 on: January 10, 2015, 10:38:13 am »

Well, until recently the US had a Hillary as their secretary of state.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6872 on: January 10, 2015, 12:10:34 pm »

Pope Stephenus II was just succeeded by Pope Hilarius II

So not only is there now a clown pope, but there was a PREVIOUS clown pope.

This is a wonderful new thing I have found.

HONF.

But yeah, it's a legit name. I still prefer to imagine him as a clown pope.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6873 on: January 10, 2015, 01:45:10 pm »

"My niece is pregnant, but I was away, wasn't I?"

Oh Crusader Kings, you're so wonderfully horrible at times  :D

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6874 on: January 11, 2015, 12:10:06 am »

Remember that count I was telling you about? Well his former liege declared war to try and get the county back, which is weird because I have medium crown authority which is supposed to stop vassals from warring on each other. Anyway, being filthy stinkin' rich, the count immediately hired the most expensive mercenary company so his own forces are twice those of the duke. I presume I can rob him with impunity if he loses his county, so is there any way I can tip the scales in favour of the duke?

Also, are wars to revoke an antipope bugged? I beat up Bohemia over one, but the antipope is still in power, dragging moral authority down.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6875 on: January 11, 2015, 02:10:31 am »

He might simply flee to a court outside your realm.

Also, I set up an anti-pope, and the guy got of 30k. Any hint as to how to get that phat booty?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6876 on: January 11, 2015, 09:57:06 am »

He might simply flee to a court outside your realm.

Also, I set up an anti-pope, and the guy got of 30k. Any hint as to how to get that phat booty?

Request money? I could request a bit over 1k from my regular pope with just 100 piety as a Doge of the Serene Republic of Ariostotzka, Bavaria and some-shit-else.

And I'm guessing the pope proper is NOT popular :D
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6877 on: January 12, 2015, 10:36:17 am »

It is rather amusing deposing the pope from Rome just to put him back in Rome immediately afterwards for 1k piety. If I get my Prince-Bishop to control Rome can I make him the new Pope?
Oh yeah, and Bulgaria just declared war on the Byzantine Empire for control of the Byzantine Empire. The Byzantines lost 20,000 troops fighting someone (probably themselves) and are down to 30,000 troops. Bulgaria has 25,000 for some reason and stands a good chance of taking it.
The manuals of war would dictate that creating a powerful ally is riskier than keeping the two states in equilibrium, but the thought of there being a mighty Bulgarian Empire in the East is almost alluring enough for me to consider raising them to ascendency. For glory of Bulgaria!

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #6878 on: January 12, 2015, 11:16:09 am »

If you want to make your prince bishop the new pope you have to make him the anti-pope first. I also think deposing and reinstating the pope makes him love you. Might be a poor mans vassal pope until you can make him your underling. I have to wonder if pope-is-my-vassal Catholics are the best at expanding within Europe. It's practically a duchy conquest for 100 piety. Roman Empire Byzantium might be more powerful with that imperial borders CB though. Need to see that in action. They might be my next Ironman game.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6879 on: January 12, 2015, 11:17:25 am »

It is rather amusing deposing the pope from Rome just to put him back in Rome immediately afterwards for 1k piety. If I get my Prince-Bishop to control Rome can I make him the new Pope?
I think only if you make him an anti-pope first.

Question: What if you control Rome, give it to a bishop, and then make him an anti-pope immediately? Before it has a chance to be given to the Pope-y pope?

Is such a thing even possible? aliens
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #6880 on: January 12, 2015, 12:22:17 pm »

It probably is. All the anti-pope is is someone with a claim on the papacy. If a priest got elected pope and had a bunch of babies, then it's possible for one of them to get a claim on the papcy that way.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6881 on: January 12, 2015, 06:40:52 pm »

So I'm doing another game in the Elder Kings mod (sadly its not updated for current stuffs :() and my character is married matrilinially to the current heir of the Kingdom of Riften. I have two babies, a girl and a boy, and unfortunately I'm going to have to change the succession law to agnatic-cognatic instead of the enatic equivalent it is right now if I want to be in control of the successor to said kingdom, because I'm  the only one to have realized the awesomeness of having the womenz inherit the stuff.

Still kinda mad my current character ended up as a priest instead of a mage. Woulda given her an extra 4 learning to help with summoning of demon armies.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6882 on: January 12, 2015, 06:58:21 pm »

Playing in Christian Spain means being an island surrounded by shark-infested waters. After all, there's only one connection into Europe and that connection sucks balls with massive mountains slowing down movement. Armies from sea take months to arrive and will never be in time to help you. All the Christian nations are weak and fractured while the Muslims lick their jaws in hungry anticipation with their amazing CBs and united front.

It's a brilliant test of strength and one of the more challenging starts in the game. I think the other difficult ones are Russian and Jewish.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6883 on: January 12, 2015, 07:47:00 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Independence factionalists tried to weasel their way out of the Principality once again. The usual suspects; Aquitaine, Norway, Italy, Ostlandet were joined by some Anglo-Saxon Dukes and Arabian Dukes, making this generation's war of independence the largest one yet. One would think that history showing each successive war ending in failure would deter them from fighting, but no.
The loyalist strongholds in France, Italy, Denmark, Iceland and Calatrava in Spain all quickly fell to to the rebels; the Knights of Calatrava did not show much gratitude for me giving them their land back. Rather amusing was that the option to vassalize the Knights Templar who were fighting against me. Sure enough, for 500 gold I pulled them out of the war. Then imprisoned their grandmaster for rebelling. I had tens of thousands of troops in the North fighting to save the Orthodox state of Rus from being blobbed to death by pagan invasions and the rest in the south fighting the Umayyad and Abbasid remnants. Needless to say it turned into a massive clusterfuck and several of the rebels got holy war cb'd by the Muslims in the chaos; without my troops defending them they were defenceless.
The Amalfi Republic and the Benetio Republic both share counties, with the Benetio Republic existing entirely within the Amalfi Republic. The Fsyche Republic families have also blobbed all over the North Sea and one of the Houses has set up outposts in Jerusalem. I wonder as well if rival Republics' trade posts are automatically destroyed if their counties come into your possession, as at some point Venice and Georgia died and I own both and I've noticed that the Amalfi Republic has trade posts in all lands except mine. Most of the lands lost to the Muslims in the independence wars were recovered, though the Persians have run off with some of my lands I'm yet to take back from them.

The West African pagan religion is extinct on a mainstream level, the Norse and Suomensko are still fighting on (and during the independence wars for a brief moment vikings once again raided Middlesex, the first time Vikings had done so in a century) and Slav pagans are still raiding my Finnish vassals which is why I'm defending my Orthodox Christian neighbour of Rus. Rus will gradually convert/kick the shit out of the pagan fucks if allowed to live. There's also been a Jewish state on the Horn of Africa which has persisted since I started the game, having survived being conquered by the Abbasid, Mali, Hashimid and the Abbasid successor states, the Abbasid reformed Empire again and again. In terms of culture Jerusalem is completely Anglo-Saxon and countries all across the Principality are at risk of being permanently absorbed by Anglo-Saxonism. Though the war of independence has somewhat undone centuries of work.

The Makedon family still rule the Byzantine Empire, having survived the falls of Constantinople and attempts by the Athenians, Thracians, British, German, Bavarian, Lotharingan, Arabian, Makedon and countless Byzantine attempts to remove the Makedons from power. I don't really know how they keep climbing back into power every time they are deposed, but they're resilient. The Karlings still own central Europe and the Kingdom of Asturias was finally taken over by the Fsyche dynasty through aggressive marriages. Germany may also soon become a part of the Fsyche dynasty after the Kingdom fell to a child Queen of Karling betrothed to marry a child Prince of Fsyche. The Cumanian and Turkestan family in the East is also in a massive civil war, partially the result of the original great Khan being an imbecile and partially the result of British agents meddling in their internal politics.
EVERYTHING IS GOING ACCORDING TO KEIKAKU

Though I really need to find some way to accelerate cultural assimilation into Anglo-Saxonism. I've been educating the heirs of foreign vassals to some success but even so, it takes a bloody long time. I need Mali and Scandinavia to be Saxon A.S.A.P.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6884 on: January 12, 2015, 07:57:25 pm »

Playing in Christian Spain means being an island surrounded by shark-infested waters. After all, there's only one connection into Europe and that connection sucks balls with massive mountains slowing down movement. Armies from sea take months to arrive and will never be in time to help you. All the Christian nations are weak and fractured while the Muslims lick their jaws in hungry anticipation with their amazing CBs and united front.

It's a brilliant test of strength and one of the more challenging starts in the game. I think the other difficult ones are Russian and Jewish.

Spain is pretty manageable if you can assassinate your relatives or use Seniority succession to consolidate it quickly.  Once that's done, it's a matter of holy wars in northern Africa, either against rebels or Islamic heresies.  There's also the option of fabricating claims in Ireland and taking over Ireland one piece at a time, since it's always so fragmented.  In games I play, France tends to break into pieces so that's sometimes a possibility.

Sicily is much harder.  There's the Holy Roman Empire to the north and Muslims to the south.  There's no easy way to expand.
Pages: 1 ... 457 458 [459] 460 461 ... 1002