Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 446 447 [448] 449 450 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2093170 times)

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #6705 on: January 01, 2015, 03:17:54 am »

I bought this game during the sale and so far it has been well worth the money.

Continuing from the tutorial game, I've been able to gradually unite nearly half of Spain under my rule. Unfortunately things don't look so good for the latest generation. The problems can be traced to the reign of king Alphonso VII. Alphonso's reign was fraught with conflict, beginning with a war with Aquitaine inherited from his father. All these wars took their tole on Alphonso, and he died of stress before he was 30 while overseeing a massive crusade against the southern Emirates. Despite being gay and having a number of other fertility issues (eventually totaling -45%), Alphonso managed to sire three daughters by his mid-twenties. Unfortunately, since he didn't father a male heir before he died, the kingdom was split into three and divided amongst his daughters. So now I control the new queen of Leon, Yvette the Unready. The other two sisters became the queens of Castille and Galicia. Both Leon and Galicia have eastern duchies which are cut off from the rest of the kingdom by Castille.

I decided to continue the crusade my Father started to ensure he did not die in vain. Even though it was now all of the Spanish emirates against the much diminished kingdom of Leon I was eventually able to seize victory. It was a long and grueling war, but it ended up nearly doubling the size of my kingdom. While I was fighting the emirates my sister in Galicia was having trouble. Aquitaine had again decided to invade, taking Navarra from her. To make matters worse a rebellion had taken over her other two eastern counties. Seeing this I decided it was time for her big sister to shoulder some of her burden, so I started a plot to assassinate her. During this time I married a prince of England and gave birth to a male heir. Unfortunately for my husband, the politics of his homeland followed him and he was quickly assassinated. I could have sent him into hiding, but I figured that he had served his purpose by giving me an heir and there was no harm letting him die now. After he died I decided to go into a regular marriage with someone with some actual power and sent a proposal off to an old polish duke. Then tragedy struck. Barely days after I had sent the proposal my infant son died of illness. I tried to stop it by sending a matriarchal proposal to another English prince but it was too late. Fortunately my new husband is in his 60's and stressed so he shouldn't last long. Then to top it all off, the Abbasid emirate decided to declare war to try and claim my crusade winnings.

Also, I was wondering if any of the DLC is considered "essential" or if I'm fine with just the base game.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6706 on: January 01, 2015, 06:15:28 am »

I want to say Constantinipple is norse because of the Varangian guard, but I really don't know. Wasn't it taken over by some other king?
It's an independent city state; I'll have to look over it once the war is over.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

God damn, I love your writing style. Also, I see what you did there with Count Guy and Ma'n.

Also, I was wondering if any of the DLC is considered "essential" or if I'm fine with just the base game.

Generally speaking, Legacy of Rome. Not for any actual Byzantium content, but for factions and, especially, Retinues.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6707 on: January 01, 2015, 09:00:43 am »

That's interesting, why does your map have such thick bold lines for borders?
NBRT, if I had to take a guess.
The mod I'm actually using is called Flat Map + Thick Borders, not as pretty but goes well with my old pc.

Generally speaking, Legacy of Rome. Not for any actual Byzantium content, but for factions and, especially, Retinues.
I thought factions were patch content? Unless LoR actually expands upon the free content. Would love someone to chime in on this because I just bought WoL but skipped on LoR because I don't care for Byz or retinues.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 09:03:27 am by Uristides »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6708 on: January 01, 2015, 09:51:01 am »

Factions are patch content as you said, but I don't know if that DLC adds anything to them.
Love, scriver~

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6709 on: January 01, 2015, 10:12:03 am »

The LoR DLC makes the rebellions more interesting, if anything.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6710 on: January 01, 2015, 11:46:29 am »

The Abbasids were utterly crushed. Things looked bad when they showed up with an 8000 man strong army which only continued to grow, but with the help of some holy knights I was able to match them. The first battle took place in one of my recently acquired territories which the Abbasids were sieging with over 18k soldiers. I had a slight numerical advantage but had to attack across a river. Things were close, but in the end we broke them. My armies sieged the enemy lands and the knights went to work mopping up any scattered invaders until the Emir was ready to surrender. This was the first war where I actually came out ahead financially, thanks to the knights fighting for free and the numerous prisoners I took from their giant army. The excitement of it proved too much for my second husband and he died of a heart attack shortly before our victory, allowing me to marry someone who can provide an heir.

Not long after that my sister, the queen of Castille, came of age. As a birthday present to herself she decided to claim the kingdoms of Galicia and Navarra from our youngest sister. Now they're both asking me to join their side in the war and I'm not particularly inclined to help either of them. So, which is the best course of action?

1) Declare war on both and reclaim my birthright in one fell swoop  -probably not a good idea since Leon lies right in the middle of their forces

2) Defend the weaker sister, then claim Castille before it has a chance to recover

3) Declare war on Castille and sweep it up while they fight each other  -I'm leaning towards this but I don't know the game's politics well enough to be sure

4) Steal Galicia from under both their noses

5) Let them fight it out alone and then mop up the victor
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6711 on: January 01, 2015, 02:28:43 pm »

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6712 on: January 01, 2015, 02:32:44 pm »

Yes it will help greatly

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6713 on: January 01, 2015, 03:44:49 pm »

1) Declare war on both and reclaim my birthright in one fell swoop  -probably not a good idea since Leon lies right in the middle of their forces
2) Defend the weaker sister, then claim Castille before it has a chance to recover
3) Declare war on Castille and sweep it up while they fight each other  -I'm leaning towards this but I don't know the game's politics well enough to be sure
4) Steal Galicia from under both their noses
5) Let them fight it out alone and then mop up the victor

I'd go with 3.
1. Is also possible, but riskier unless your military is assured victory through numerical strength or by virtue of brilliant commanders.
2. You might end up with a truce with your greater sister, in which case you would not be able to attack her and claim Castille before she recovered.
3. You will be able to wreck Castille while your younger sister also fights her; victory is assured.
4. Possible too, I guess.
5. Also a very good option. Be careful that you don't just end up fighting a very strong victor though.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6714 on: January 01, 2015, 07:18:57 pm »

Yay for glitches. Thankfully I had an autosave.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6716 on: January 01, 2015, 10:29:47 pm »

Did you try to seduce yourself?

Nope. An imprisoned Duchess attempted to escape using her feminine wiles but failed. Given that she'd already tried once and failed, i figured i'd throw her in the oubliette for her second escape attempt, then the event glitched out and threw my character, the Basileus in the Oubliette... only that he wasn't imprisoned, and the duchess remained in prison but not in the Oubliette.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6717 on: January 01, 2015, 11:20:50 pm »

Today Hungaryblob got gavelkinded upon the king's death, split into Hungary, Poland and Pomerania.
Duke of Pest is a cocky bastard and tried to be independent, so I used the oportunity to test my newfound knowledge of bakcstabbing him with an independence CB of my own.
Worked like a charm, he got mowed down by the king's army and I finished the job while simultaneously handling the tricky Slavonians who thought they had a chance in gaining back a province from me. Now I'm serving under the king directly, culture converted to hungarian, got appointed as Spymaster and the only thing between me and dukehood is the king getting a title he can bestow me.
I was thinking, if I do a sufficiently good job of killing the Kings of Poland and Pomerania then my king is next in line and magyarblob can thrive again and mow down the HRE or something, maybe I should?

In other news, my son/heir/spymaster found out my son/marshal has a plot to kill another son and I decided to let him get away with it because the victim's status are so weak(nothing above 10, seriously). Gotta keep that genepool strong.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6718 on: January 02, 2015, 09:07:10 am »

I want to say Constantinipple is norse because of the Varangian guard, but I really don't know. Wasn't it taken over by some other king?

The nipples. The CONSTANT NIPPLES.

Also, I have no idea why you can't ask to JOIN plots that you find out about. You can politely ask people to stop trying to stab you in the shins, but supporting the cause of someone trying to get rid of your sworn enemy (who you ALSO have a plan to assassinate) isn't possible unless they ask you to. IS MADDENING.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6719 on: January 02, 2015, 10:57:43 am »

I dunno, it makes a certain amount of sense. I mean, if the king comes up and says "Hey guys, can I join your murder club? Can I? Can I? Huh?" it's going to be a bit disconcerting. Especially if they normally expect you to dislike them. Could be a trap.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 446 447 [448] 449 450 ... 1002