Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 444 445 [446] 447 448 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2092778 times)

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #6675 on: December 30, 2014, 10:22:01 am »

The corpse of the Pope just got put on trial for its debauchery.

Is...is this a thing that actually happened?! Because that shit is hilarious.
It did.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #6676 on: December 30, 2014, 11:35:13 am »

Gave control of the county of middlesex to the Mayor of London and played as him, building up Merchant Britannia over three generations.

How did you play as the Lord Mayor of London? I can't play as him from the saved game in which I gave him Middlesex, but I can play actual republics of Amalfi and Venice.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6677 on: December 30, 2014, 12:22:55 pm »

did you give him a ducal title too to create a new merchant republic?

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #6678 on: December 30, 2014, 01:46:47 pm »

No. It's a shame you can't play a county-level republic.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6679 on: December 30, 2014, 01:56:59 pm »

And is his capital coastal?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6680 on: December 30, 2014, 01:57:22 pm »

I got Charlemagne recently, so I decided to ruler design the duke of Flanders and spend the generations building up the tech level of Middle Francia (ol' Charley made it his primary after the inevitable inherit)

Threw in CK2+ as well to spice things up.

Started with Duke Autbert "the Peaceable" who started with something like 60 learning. He spent most of his time discovering Cthulu and borrowing the Necronomicon from the Abbasids, but he broke up this exciting lifestyle by trying (and failing) to change the course of a succession war (Charley commited suicide, and nobody backed his son but me...got kinda crushed, despite cheat-ssassinating several rebel leaders. This also led to me having a nice -20 in the next generation because of my dynasties previous "dishonorable" actions.) and later doing everything in his power to sabotage the reign of the usurper Karl II until he died and left everything to his son KakarotChararic

KakarotChararic is now 26 and currently known as "the Great" he has spent most of his time getting sweet monies, getting sweet prestige, and pimping out his little brothers and sisters to anyone with a title they're willing to give me a claim to.
He's turned out to be something of a diplomatic genius, getting the king to be his best friend forever, as well as every vassal except his brother Karl (who hates him almost entirely because he's a nice person and Karl isn't.)
After getting him some nice little diplomacy bonuses from the carousing focus, I'm about ready to flip him to religion focus so he can grab extra learning from jumping his piety score up.
Then its just books and stars for him till he dies. Probably.

As for my goal, tech is about on par with the Byzies, I grabbed up level 3 keeps real fast, and have a rank in majesty they don't have. I'm focusing the military branch on heavy infantry because that's what 90% of my levies are made of right now.
I slowed down a bit once KakarotChararic took over due to him only having 18 learning instead of...well 60-70ish, but should get going again once I get him back in the observatory and stop dicking around with everything else that popped up.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6681 on: December 30, 2014, 02:27:18 pm »

Still a shame you cant play as a theocracy...

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6682 on: December 30, 2014, 05:01:05 pm »

What would you people recommend as the appropriate way to expand into India? I'm playing as Zunbil (also Ironman) and while the Abbasids are thoroughly uninterested in annexing me, they still surround me to all sides but east.

Also some oddities: Charlemagne himself managed to unite the Francias, but was then deposed by his son, who then died and split the kingdom in two once more. The iconoclasts managed to become the mainstream orthodox faith, only to lose it to regular orthodoxy again. Carpathia was formed by a bolghar khan. Mali and Abyssinia not only formed, but hold most of non-islamic Africa (Abyssinia still has some duchies to eat). Iceland was not only united by a norseman, but he then proceeded to expand to Norway... while still remaining a count. And by the looks of it the sultan of Africa is going to defeat the Umayyads.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6683 on: December 30, 2014, 05:04:32 pm »

The same way one would expand into Europe. Mop up all the smaller targets first and slowly work your way up. Use mercenaries liberally. You should have plenty of cassus bellis to do whatever you want. Feel free to break truces because pfft... who cares if some Hindu, Buddhist, or Jain guys care if you're a truce breaker.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6684 on: December 30, 2014, 05:21:55 pm »

I just conquered Marrakech and Fes as unreformed West African tribe-kingdom of Mali (July 914, doing pretty well I think).  Basically dealt the killing blow to the Rustamid Sultanate, AKA Islamic Mauretania, the decently strong kingdom which landlocks the West African tribals and seems to be encroaching on them in 867.  My first ruler of Mali had awful starting stats, too.

My master plan is coming along great, so far.  I'm about to take the coastal county of Massat, a 5-holding tribe.  I'll make it my capital, then (assuming I understand these tribal mechanics *at all*) build it up, finish maxing centralization, and form the Most Serene Unreformed Pagan Republic of ALL THE GOLD Mali.  I can't *wait* to try a merchant republic that can raid...  And I just remembered I have *concubines* so male dynasty members are going to be so plentiful.

Plus my retinues are Free Warriors, essentially skirmish retinues on steroids.  I heard they nerfed skirmish retinues finally... but they still seem cost-effective for rapidly sieging things.

Edit:  My only worry is that the Umayyad's will come south and crush me, they're stable and have nearly 10K levies while I've got about 2.5.  But I do have defensive bonuses, 1000 prestige to call 5k warriors, 895 gold to hire the Ghanan band (2.2k)...  I should be able to hold them off.  Just in case, my chancellor has been over there keeping relations at 80+.  I *hope* that actually matters...

Edit2: And their decadence is at 76%, which is... good?  Hurts his Demesne Troops morale by 57.5% which is great, but if I understand right the main way to reduce decadence is by going to war.  Uh oh.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 05:33:41 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6685 on: December 30, 2014, 05:25:18 pm »

So a buddhist rebellion appeared with far too many troops than myself. I look at what happens if I surrender and... I just lose prestige and any captured provinces, of which there are none. I send the surrender and not only the rebels take nothing, but the leader becomes part of my court, allowing me to use him as a marshal thanks to his high martial and terrible intrigue (ensuring he is not a threat). I guess I can't complain.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6686 on: December 30, 2014, 05:35:19 pm »

Last time I tried to surrender, they said "Nope." Presumably BECAUSE they hadn't taken anything. I thought that was designed.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6687 on: December 30, 2014, 05:37:52 pm »

Last time I tried to surrender, they said "Nope." Presumably BECAUSE they hadn't taken anything. I thought that was designed.
They had to defeat me at a battle first, but accepted just fine. The more recent sunni uprising didn't. Fortunately, I had well over a thousand ducats stored (mostly from ransoming hindu/buddhist/sunni priest) and was able to hire some mercenaries. Good thing too, because a neighbouring muslim decided he wanted my land.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6688 on: December 30, 2014, 05:40:04 pm »

That's what I remember.

I do know that if they do take a single province, they become an independent state with at the very least the capital gaining a "religious stronghold" modifier to rebellion chance against other religions, AND they keep their event troops.  Add that to the hundreds of prestige and piety you just lost and your problems are likely not over.  Although on the bright side at least more rebels won't spawn and join them any more.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6689 on: December 30, 2014, 05:42:27 pm »

Well, despite my luck with independent rebels, it seems pretty much everyone to the east of me has decided it is a nice time to attack. Right after my ruler drops dead too. Sure, my heir is good, but short reign means less levies.

EDIT: And yet another DoW from an indian. Holy crap, everyone in this game wants to murder me.

EDIT 2: And another buddhist uprising. What is going on?

EDIT 3: Did the surrender thing with the buddhists again adn white peaced another invader. Am still left with two wars.

EDIT 4: The guy I white peaced? DoW again. This is bullshit.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 05:52:32 pm by Deathsword »
Pages: 1 ... 444 445 [446] 447 448 ... 1002