Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 443 444 [445] 446 447 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2092777 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #6660 on: December 28, 2014, 04:43:23 pm »

Yeah. Those provinces are insanity, you really can't siege them until you get rid of the homeland attrition. Armies go to a tenth of their size within 2 or 3 attrition updates.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6661 on: December 29, 2014, 02:37:48 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Europe around the death of Grand Mayor Aelfwig the Drunkard's death by natural causes in the year 896. The duchy of Kent, the county of Middlesex and the county of Suffolk were ruled by the London Republic. Aelfwig rose to power through assassinating his highly unpopular brother and ruled for 30 years bringing stability and safety to kent, passing down the republic to Grand Prince Osweald the Great.

Osweald also ended up ruling for 30 years. He dealt a crushing blow to a massive Norwegian invasion with the liberal application of Swiss mercenaries and huskarls and spent decades driving the Norse out of Britain.

Osweald married into alliances with West Francia and had a plethora of children, further boosting House Fysche's power. Everything changed when Osweald converted to Catharism; holy wars were declared on every catholic and nordic state Osweald didn't have a truce with one by one until he formed the Kingdom of England from the united petty Kingdoms of Mercia and Kent. Every time he declared war on a catholic state the entirety of Christendom would war with him, but only Catholic Ireland ever reached English shores. The rest seemed preoccupied with Norse and Muslim infidel invaders (so was I, the Norse never have stopped constantly invading) until I blobbed all over the British Isles, steadily consolidating Fysche's powerbase. Osweald died in battle with the Irish of a head wound, passing down his lands to Grand Prince Balthere the Great.

Prince Balthere has had to deal with the aftermath of Osweald. Osweald's rapid conquering of the British Isles in the name of Catharism allowed Balthere to form Britannia, but it has also meant that Cathars are everywhere and sectarian violence is frequent. Balthere is catholic and the Pope is very keen to keep Balthere in power, it's complicated. Osweald also split his lands between his two oldest surviving sons so that in case one died the other would already be well established, unfortunately this also meant that the second oldest had the Crown of Scotland and so had to be assassinated to secure Balthere's power. Balthere has also had around 4000-5000 troops in Western France almost nonstop, essentially becoming one of the legs holding Christendom up from endless Muslim and Norse invasions. At one point Britannia was the only Catholic army fighting a muslim invasion of Aragon after the European armies were exhausted from civil infighting (with one French duke even going so far as to ally with the muslims on the off chance that he could gain some West Francian lands) and at its worst even committed 10,000 Huskarls and personal levies from Gibraltar to France just to keep them at bay.

The British Isles are almost completely united. After that I'll try to take over Brittany and gain some land in France, I already have a city in one of their counties so I'm guaranteed at least a little slice of land I can use to keep a secure port on the mainland continent.
Rather worrying is that the Byzantine Empire has effectively dissolved. Nothing can really stand up to the Abbassids after a failed rebellion right now. I'm also trying to see if I can take Gibraltar since I used it before to defeat the Qaysid Sultanate and if I have a permanent garrison there Spain can be reconquered.

The Anglo-Saxon army is currently ahead of the rest of the world in terms of military organization, boasting the largest professional army of Huskarls in the world. It currently does not have the capabilities to move its armies around the world with ease, though it could at great expense, and is certainly safe from being conquered by all foreign powers. The rest of Europe may not be so fortunate, but if it comes down to it I'm willing to let Europe fall to the infidels as long as West Francia and Britannia remain safe and open to free trade.

All trade conflicts are limited between the five great families of the Britannia Republic, there are no foreign competitors. Grand Prince Osweald managed to build up House Fysche's trade Empire to 16 trade posts, encompassing the entire Eastern coast of the British Isles, following the coast all the way north and west to the Isle of Man. I get very much money and once I build the garrisons up my retinues will increase in number even more.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #6662 on: December 29, 2014, 03:45:48 pm »

Is there more? Love those reports you do, LW. The GoT one was amazing, I'm really hoping for a continuation of this :D

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6663 on: December 29, 2014, 04:42:45 pm »

How do you do map outputs like that?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6664 on: December 29, 2014, 05:46:46 pm »

It's F11 or F12 while playing the game.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6665 on: December 29, 2014, 05:55:47 pm »

And having the correct mapmode selected. Paradox games have two screenshot functions - one that just takes a direct screensgot of what's in the screen like usual, and then another one that does maps like that.
Love, scriver~

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6666 on: December 29, 2014, 08:07:30 pm »

I have a question, too. How did you create a republic without being Ireland? I'm assuming you weren't Irish because you're on about Huscarls instead of Gallowglass.
Assuming he started on Charlemagne, tribes can, once they up their tribal organization and build certain structures, become feudal (anywhere) or republics (needs a coastal capital).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6667 on: December 29, 2014, 08:14:07 pm »

There's no tribes in England though, just Ireland and Scotland.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6668 on: December 29, 2014, 08:15:34 pm »

There's no tribes in England though, just Ireland and Scotland.
Some of the vassals of the realms in the Charlemagne are tribal. I think only the counties of a few of the rulers are not tribal.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6669 on: December 29, 2014, 08:46:43 pm »

Thing is I've played as someone in the British Isles a few times, and the ONLY tribes there are in Scotland and Ireland. There aren't any in England. There are a few owned by Northumbria, but otherwise, nope.
Are you playing which start? Old Gods? If need be, I can take a screenshot of the tribals in question.

EDIT: Ok, there aren't. I either misremembered, or it was from a mod. I guess I should double-check from now on. My sincerest apologies.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 08:50:29 pm by Deathsword »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6670 on: December 30, 2014, 12:39:08 am »

F10 screenshot of the map in game, F11 screenshot of the screen in game. Screenshots saved to your CK2 screenshots folder.

I have a question, too. How did you create a republic without being Ireland? I'm assuming you weren't Irish because you're on about Huscarls instead of Gallowglass.
Gave control of the county of middlesex to the Mayor of London and played as him, building up Merchant Britannia over three generations.

Is there more? Love those reports you do, LW. The GoT one was amazing, I'm really hoping for a continuation of this :D
Yeah, there's more. It's fun finding the stories behind these, the GoT is still my favourite too, though I still don't know which version of CKII I prefer yet ^_^

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6671 on: December 30, 2014, 12:50:10 am »

Wow, thanks for posting that.  Glad I opened that spoiler  :o
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6672 on: December 30, 2014, 01:20:22 am »

That was impressive, Loud Whispers.

In my game, I'm poised to inherit the entire Byzantine empire - my character's mother is a 45 year old depressed Basilissa with no prior porphyrygennetos heirs, and all of the Empire is together except for the Duchy of Antioch, who they maintain superb relations with due to dynastic reasons.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6673 on: December 30, 2014, 02:47:25 am »

I feel like LWs just explained in one post why medieval dynasties fall.  All it takes is one ambitious/idiot ruler.

Advisor: "Sir, the treasuries are empty, and the Norse are preparing to invade!  We must make preparations for another war."

Belthare: "Yes, we must!  Tell the men WE SAIL FOR THE HOLY LAND!"

Of course, it looks like it paid off for him.  Possibly.  I was honestly waiting for the "and everyone died" ending.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6674 on: December 30, 2014, 10:06:53 am »

The corpse of the Pope just got put on trial for its debauchery.

Is...is this a thing that actually happened?! Because that shit is hilarious.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 443 444 [445] 446 447 ... 1002