Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 437 438 [439] 440 441 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2092419 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #6570 on: December 22, 2014, 07:22:22 am »

Man, succession crisises suuuuuuck for pagans. My king, Alfgeir the Victorious, a 23-Martial conqueror of England who ruled almost literally all his life (inherited the throne at, like, two, but fortunately his dad, my Ruler Designed guy, gave him a really well-chosen tutor), who ended up being old enough that some of his grandsons were adults by the time of his death, died in battle.

The successor, his son, died literally *seconds* later - he got maimed long ago - can't recall if it was when he was a Varangian Guardsman or in my service when he returned - leaving the kingdom to Alfgeir's (thankfully) adult grandson.

So, I went from seven holdings in demesne to just Jorvik in an instant, with Catholic rebels and several rebellious nobles maintaining their army size. Took me a bunch of Revokation plots to deal with that.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6571 on: December 22, 2014, 07:30:09 am »

I also started a pagan run (first one with Old Gods), and just formed Scandanavia from a Norwegian one-province-count. Elective gravelkind's a helluva drug. When I'm not murdering siblings/nephews/uncles/grandparents and resubjugating Finland for the 3rd time, I'm executing rebel Jarls left and right to keep the old Swedish king's clan from playing musical duchies.

But man, that loot.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6572 on: December 22, 2014, 07:34:27 am »

My pagan Finnish->conquering west game, on the other hand, is ridiculously smooth going. All my dynasty members seem to love eachother. Elective Gavelkind seems weighted towards high Diplo, and so I usually end up with Kings everyone loves. It's just so nice. I feel like I'm playing a happy family, instead of the much more common dysfunctional murder pit.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6573 on: December 22, 2014, 08:26:01 am »

Argh. Died in battle aged 23 in the Crusades, because of a misclick. Now, my heir is 2(!) and I face a lengthy regency, where I've already been told of a dangerous faction with 303% strength, and been forced to change several laws.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6574 on: December 22, 2014, 09:28:23 am »

Argh. Died in battle aged 23 in the Crusades, because of a misclick. Now, my heir is 2(!) and I face a lengthy regency, where I've already been told of a dangerous faction with 303% strength, and been forced to change several laws.

Depends on the cash, it might be worth it to merc 'em up into submission. 2-y.o. heirs are pretty nice, actually, since you'll have a loooooong rulership without any major stat/alliance/holding reshuffles and no Short Reign issues.

Also, re: Great Heathen Army, is there supposed to, I'unno, be some kinda even that changes the culture? Because as far as I know, the GHA intended to settle Scandinavian people in England and as such, turn it culturally Nordic, but in my game, it just ended up with Pagan rulers over Saxon Christian counts.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #6575 on: December 22, 2014, 11:19:40 am »

I'm on an India game at the moment. Gavelkind's a bitch, and the lack of CB means it took me two hundred years to finally become king. Began on Charlemagne start as a vassal duke in the southern tip of india, became independant king the 15 december 945.

My main source of land was weddings. Lots of weddings. And thousands of gold in claim fabrications. I had to reconquer my second duchy three times because of gavelkind and assassinate a brother or two for the same reason. Then I married my heir to a seven-counties duchess and suddenly I controlled a good half of the kingdom. Still not enough for independance. I got owned when I forgot I joined a faction and it fired. We got our ass handed to us but I got away with a 250 gold fine (gift+ransom) and a slap on the wrist. Then I pressed my 73yo mother's claim on the other guy's duchy. That'll teach him to fire factions too early.

The final move was marrying my two sons to the second and third daughters of the king of ceylon. Their only son died in infancy long ago, and the first daughter died of illness (lucky me). I killed the second so the third, married to my heir (ultimogeniture), would get the throne.
She did, but she gave me two sons. And I forgot to take in account that, while I was in ultimogeniture, the kingdom I coveted wasn't. So my firstborn got the throne, but I ended up as my second son, who got the other seven duchies. In frustration, I declared war for independance. Almost won but died in the middle of it of "natural causes". Shiva damnit. So war ends inconclusively, I wait ten years for the regency to end, and I see that I have a claim on the kingdom of ceylon, that I could've pressed long ago. War was quick, finally I am king (it was long overdue too, I was hitting vassal limit, and because of shitty heirs I couldn't decentralize lest I got over the demesne limit.). And independant.

My former liege was pissed. Think about it, I got away with two of his kingdom titles, seven duchies, and twenty-six counties. You too would be pissed if half your realm seceded.

A few years later he DoWed me. Press all claims. I won, but if I didn't it was almost game over for me. Also I married my heir to a six-counties duchess in his realm. Which ended up in my realm.

I married my heir to the princess of pratihara but she died. I married the second but she died as well. Oh well. If the king had the decency to die earlier I could've pressed her claim to the two kingdom he held and would've been inherited by the two underage sons under gavelkind. And become emperor, hopefully.

As it stands, it's back to claim fabrication. And fighting ginormous wars over single counties.

No wonder india never changes if the player doesn't touch it.

I like my yellow color though.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6576 on: December 22, 2014, 01:38:32 pm »

You have seven duchies? Dat demense limit.

And yeah, India's a bitch. The worst part is even if you get the claims you need to make shit happen you can't really stand a chance against all the established empires as they almost never break up and they're so much stronger than you.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6577 on: December 22, 2014, 02:03:13 pm »

Hindu holy order can make shit happen.  Last time I played in India, (which was a while), the hindu holy order was 8300 heavy infantry to the other holy order's 2000 and change troops.  This was early on when that was a significant number of troops, I assume it gets larger later.

But yeah, in a lot of ways being a vassal in India is like being a minor in the HRE.  Its all about the big push where you get your kid to be a distant heir to a larger power, and then kill everyone in between.  Since you've got a big empire protecting you, you can neglect your levies a bit and forget about mercs; all the money is for delicious delicious bribes.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6578 on: December 22, 2014, 02:12:15 pm »

India sounds fun and time consuming :P I'll probably give them a game and see how it goes.

My ireland game I ended when somehow there was assassinations of all my 3 children and the king died. I only had a 1 year old daughter. So I didn't feel like playing anymore. I kinda gave up. They all happened to die really quick (from the assassins) and I never saw that before...is that just really unlucky? I thought limit was one at a time? It was sort of early in the game too, but guess I forgot about discovering plots or something. I never had that issue before though, so maybe it was super unlucky or something.

My "satan/evil god" game as Jerusalem fighting in the name of god is doing good, he is immortal and all his children (now 6 as some died) inherited some of his traits and all of them have high stats lol. But I think I'd rather play as something different that I never even tried...like India. I don't really want to keep doing the same kingdom over and over :P But any time he captures prisoners, they are executed lol. Really ruthless leader.

I think I'll RP a family man in India though, like it was suggested to me the other day. Instead of worrying about leadership and running a kingdom/empire or anything like that
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6579 on: December 22, 2014, 02:16:12 pm »

Was feeling like trying a pagan start today so I picked up Karelia. Viking-diplo annexed my two neighbours I start with claims on, raided England and Netherlands a couple of times, got my ass kicked around a bit because I miscalculated the time it takes to get back into the boats.
Now old Rurik came in and things got messy. Currently juggling my masterful diplomat around between keeping my treacherous vassals at bay and sowing dissent in his empire.
Not sure what to do between that and raiding stuff as everyone around me is considerably stronger than I am right now. Guess I'll have to wait around until my ruler dies so I can live through all the fun gavelkind entails and try to marry my way into new claims and alliances.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #6580 on: December 22, 2014, 02:45:07 pm »

You have seven duchies? Dat demense limit.

And yeah, India's a bitch. The worst part is even if you get the claims you need to make shit happen you can't really stand a chance against all the established empires as they almost never break up and they're so much stronger than you.

Well I held only four or five counties, I had twenty-two counts under me. I just had to hold onto the ducal titles myself.

Good thing is that all the claims I pressed were against other vassals (bypassing the big empire), or the few independant dukes close to me. But half of my territory I inherited without a fight.

Hindu holy order can make shit happen.  Last time I played in India, (which was a while), the hindu holy order was 8300 heavy infantry to the other holy order's 2000 and change troops.  This was early on when that was a significant number of troops, I assume it gets larger later.

But yeah, in a lot of ways being a vassal in India is like being a minor in the HRE.  Its all about the big push where you get your kid to be a distant heir to a larger power, and then kill everyone in between.  Since you've got a big empire protecting you, you can neglect your levies a bit and forget about mercs; all the money is for delicious delicious bribes.

Holy orders are all fine, but we're all hindu down here. The buddhists are all up near the himalayas and I'm on the southern tip. ::)

A few photos:
Spoiler: The kingdom seems big (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: U mad? (click to show/hide)
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Full Sig

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6581 on: December 22, 2014, 05:00:42 pm »

He does not look amused.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6582 on: December 22, 2014, 05:10:52 pm »

His wife is like "are you serious?"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6583 on: December 22, 2014, 05:22:13 pm »

You are the sole object of his entire life's hatred. Impressive.

His heir looks eternally worried.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #6584 on: December 23, 2014, 08:15:42 am »

Also he got the "possessed" trait shortly after.  :P
Full Sig
Pages: 1 ... 437 438 [439] 440 441 ... 1002