Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 434 435 [436] 437 438 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2092290 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #6525 on: December 17, 2014, 07:11:33 pm »

So, my game's going swimmingly.

I'm The Most Serene Republic of Ireland in this game.

Taken Scotland, France inherited York (Northumbria became York), DOWed France a few times, still working on the claims in Scotland, Wales has formed (as some country I can't remember the name of), Ummayads broke up (then after 50 years reformed sans North Iberia area as Realid), Lombardy is Orthodox and has wiped out the papal states, for some reason I can't go on pilgramages (Lack of holy sites, maybe?), Svibjod became Catcholic after its heir tried to adventure into Ireland and I captured then converted him, Abbassid has blobbed beyond all blobbiness. It owns half of Africa, pushed back the Byzantines a bit and is pushing hard into the Russian area, England still hasn't formed (I'm gonna do that when I can. Need me dat Brittania), and Galicia, Burgundy (who owns part of North Iberia) and Austurias keep getting involved in holy wars with Ummayad that I keep saving from the brink (I turned two -90% wars into 100% and one -95% into a white peace), and my family runs two of the holy orders.

>Ireland
>Most serene

:P

I've started a new game with the Old Gods start with the new DLC. It's pretty cool, actually, though not quite *revolutionary*. It's nice to be able to spec the character up a bit and have a bit of direct control over your own char, at least for the four years of cooldown, and doubly cool in that it adds a fuckton of new monikers.

Hilariously enough, though, my Ruler Designed guy died almost right off the bat - I only managed to father two sons and bring the Heathen Army's second war (Called Invasion of Mercia, roughly) to 100% without even winning it when he died, leaving his 4 year old as the new King. On the flipside, the kid got a zillion points of prestige. And now he's of age and kickin'.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6526 on: December 18, 2014, 02:15:37 am »

So I went ahead and bought iberian stuff (cause why not), charlamange (hope that is spelled right...ALWAYS find that word confusing to say and spell) and the new way of life.

So I have every single DLC now :D Most of it I got when it was on sales...the newest stuff I didn't really care either way if it was on sale or not. All pretty new, and not a big deal to me.

I'll probably try the early start that comes with charlamange and see how that is. I should give the early start(s) a good try, cause usually I just start in the crusade era.

Should I make kingdom of ireland (even though that is kinda the newbie thing to do, and I've done it once before...it was a ton of fun) or play as vikings or choose one of the pagan people?
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6527 on: December 18, 2014, 02:20:05 am »

Vikings are pretty much an easy mode, unless they get trashed by other, stronger vikings. Other pagans are quite bland and get shit kicked out of them by vikings. Old Gods should really be Viking Gods considering how it concentrates on them.

Related, Way of Life seems interesting, I like how Lunatics have their own options to pretty much everything now. Love being crazy. I'm mainly looking forward to see what modders will make of these new options; especially the fine folks behind Game of Thrones and CK+.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6528 on: December 18, 2014, 02:32:56 am »

Should I make kingdom of ireland (even though that is kinda the newbie thing to do, and I've done it once before...it was a ton of fun) or play as vikings or choose one of the pagan people?
Have you tried being a French lord?

The way the game is you don't have to be a warmongerer to have fun any more as there's so many different personal events. Not to mention it's not particularly fun to manage to vassals with the forced vassal limit.

So you can try just being a family of dudes in some big kingdom. One person's goal in life is to seduce everything. Another is to spy on everyone. Etc. It's pretty dynamic.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6529 on: December 18, 2014, 02:39:16 am »

Have you tried being a French lord?

The way the game is you don't have to be a warmongerer to have fun any more as there's so many different personal events. Not to mention it's not particularly fun to manage to vassals with the forced vassal limit.

So you can try just being a family of dudes in some big kingdom. One person's goal in life is to seduce everything. Another is to spy on everyone. Etc. It's pretty dynamic.

That sounds actually vastly better than before. That actually sounds like a lot of fun, RP a family/lord inside france or something or another large kingdom.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6530 on: December 18, 2014, 06:17:17 am »

charlamange (hope that is spelled right...ALWAYS find that word confusing to say and spell)
You didn't, but that's because it's a complicated name. First of all, you can just say "Carl the Gross Great". That's easy to remember because both are English words.
If you want to say it "right" (that is: the French way), you have to sperate it mentally into 2 parts: "Charley" (the Y is invisible), which is his given name and "magnet" (T is both silent and invisible), because he attracted together the German Empire*, to get "Charlemagne". Now you'll never misspell it again.

(*) Full name: Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6531 on: December 18, 2014, 06:31:32 am »

Vikings are pretty much an easy mode, unless they get trashed by other, stronger vikings. Other pagans are quite bland and get shit kicked out of them by vikings. Old Gods should really be Viking Gods considering how it concentrates on them.
Playing as the Lord Mayor of London.

The viking raids never stop. I had to have a retinue squad on every single one of my counties and trade posts. At one point Sweden and Scotland invaded me at the same time. Infinite mercenaries sure are fun.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6532 on: December 18, 2014, 06:54:19 am »

Only way to stop the raids is to kill them or convert them. Converting a few major Norse rulers into Christianity is usually enough, as they use that to start wars with the Pagan Norse.

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6533 on: December 18, 2014, 10:16:24 am »

Are any of the graphical DLCs worth it?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6534 on: December 18, 2014, 10:43:39 am »

Not really, unless you want the immersion.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6535 on: December 18, 2014, 11:18:21 am »

They're neat I guess.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6536 on: December 18, 2014, 11:33:33 am »

I always buy the graphical (and most) DLCs on sale...they can go for as low as like 75 cents

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #6537 on: December 18, 2014, 11:46:02 am »

I was spoiled by playing with the face dlc then not having it, so i bought that.

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6538 on: December 18, 2014, 02:21:31 pm »

Heh, I've only played with it a couple of hours, but I do enjoy the Way of Life DLC. I think it's a neat thing to have especially for if you're uniting Ireland or something like I am (still a noob at this game :P). But it adds just enough choice that you can play as a Count/Earl for a while without getting bored out of your skull.

In my game I picked the Earl of Dubhlinn again. I quickly married his son off to some Lowborn with good stats, focusing on Stewardship, and invited some well-skilled individuals to my court to fill my council. Switched over to Primogeniture. Then I placed him on the Business focus. He quickly got an option to support a new business in his county, which he had to borrow money from the Jewish lenders to afford. But in the long run it easily paid for itself. Down the line a couple other events popped up I can't remember off-hand, one of them making him Stressed. His brother died leaving him to inherit the uh, county south of him, forgot what it's called. I sat for a while trying to fabricate claims and an event chain about a foreign trade route popped up. I poured some money into that and was excited to see where it went when he suddenly died of "extreme stress". Whoops.

His son inherited the throne, and I put him on Family focus as well as the "have a son" ambition. Years pass, and he ends up being the ward of his uncle who was born soon after he came into power. I start spamming summer fairs to fix the negative prestige his marriage caused. In the end, they pop out five daughters before finally having a son. I've started teaching the first-born daughter at this point as well. The main event popups I saw seemed to be automatic relations boosts with family members, usually +20 for 240 months. In any case, with an heir finally in place I switched over to intrigue as I haven't had luck fabricating claims (yeah, I know that's under diplomacy. I derped)

A couple more years pass, during which time my uncle comes of age. I haven't seen any intrigue events but I haven't tried spying on anyone either. At this point an event fires that is trying to paint my only heir as a "suspected demon". I choose the option to consult my chaplain, and he basically says "yeah bro. Your kid's totally a demon. And your wife's been affiliating with witches." My options were to take a massive piety hit by saying he's wrong, which doesn't even prevent the rumors. Or I would need to declare my only heir a bastard, and piss him off. But because my intrigue was buffed, I had a third option, to have the chaplain assassinated for the low cost of 50 gold. 1 guess what I did next. :P

Shortly thereafter I was fed up with a lack of claims and went to replace my chancellor. I realized that I'd perfectly groomed my uncle for this role, who had a diplomacy of 21 opposed to the other guy's 14. Within literally a game month of replacing the old guy, I had my claim. And then blah blah war and victory.

Still, fun stuff. Gonna have to see what happens when I start actively spying on people.  :D

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6539 on: December 18, 2014, 02:27:20 pm »

At this point an event fires that is trying to paint my only heir as a "suspected demon". I choose the option to consult my chaplain, and he basically says "yeah bro. Your kid's totally a demon. And your wife's been affiliating with witches." My options were to take a massive piety hit by saying he's wrong, which doesn't even prevent the rumors. Or I would need to declare my only heir a bastard, and piss him off. But because my intrigue was buffed, I had a third option, to have the chaplain assassinated for the low cost of 50 gold. 1 guess what I did next. :P
I think this is the start of a fairly rare and extremely awesome event chain from SoA.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 434 435 [436] 437 438 ... 1002