Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 420 421 [422] 423 424 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2091720 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #6315 on: November 14, 2014, 03:17:22 am »

Get AVG, or Bitdefender, or Malwarebytes. The windows software is awful.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #6316 on: November 15, 2014, 08:56:49 pm »

As Britannia (Wessex, Charlemagne start), I have conquered all of France in 896. This doesn't include Middle Francia and Aquitaine, which has been gobbled up by Germany and Ulmayaad (sp), respectively. This was possible due to French royals being Cathar. It helped that after each peace, each of my ducal vassals in France decided to holy war for more territory, one or two wars at a time. Then I assassinated their current ruler, rinse & repeat. Germany is really scary, but I have Matrilineal (sp) marriages to heirs for both Germany and Lombardy, so I'm going to try to usurp those eventually and then move on to a WC. Currently my expansion plans east are on hold since I take massive attrition, and I can't afford that until Ulmayaad is subdued in case of pesky holy wars into France. Guess my current plans are Aquitaine + misc European heretics until Military Organization 4, then it'll be a stampede through the East unless I can get Germany or Lombardy.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6317 on: November 15, 2014, 10:17:05 pm »

As I stated before, it's the OS that thinks its a virus. Or so I thought. As it would happen, the OS was taking the credit for it when it was just crashing for no particular reason.

Assuming you're using a recent beta: I'd assume someone on the dev team broke it inadvertently so it jumps into data and tries to execute it, since that's what it would take for Windows' DEP to decide to shut that whole thing down. If you've tried turning off DEP you've probably noticed that it will still crash regardless* because it's still trying to execute data instead of code.

* Unless your CK2 really does have a virus or something. :V

For CK2 I think your best bet is to just roll back to the last mostly-stable version (2.1.6 for CK2), but that means you'd have to give up on playing the new CK2 DLC until they release a new version that actually works properly. (This is what I did, but then I went and started playing KSP .25 instead anyways, soo...)

It's one thing to release a buggy broken game on day 1 - we can always buy it once it works - but when you break a game that was working fine and it autopatches? That's kind of irritating.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 10:19:40 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6318 on: November 15, 2014, 10:48:24 pm »

On r/AskHistorians, there's an AMA going on right now about Sikhs. One of the questions and responses sound so amazing it's like they came out of CK2. I'll copy paste it here:

Why were the Sikhs defeated by the British? They are a martial race and ran a large empire. Yet they seemed to have lost pretty soon to the British. Also, was it the British who defeated the Empire or was it already falling apart and the British just came at the right time?

So the Sikh Empire ruled by Maharaja Ranjit Singh spanned from the Safēd Kōh mountains in Afghanistan in the west to Aksai Chin in India/China(Disputed) in the east, as far north as Himilayas and as far south as modern day Haryana, India. It was a very rich and secular kingdom, a majority of it being populated with Muslims. One of the more amazing aspects of it was the Military, the Khalsa army. The thing is that the Kingdom was brought into fruition by 12 military leaders who controlled a sizable army and land, as well as land that was under their protection. These leaders went through many wars against armies much bigger than theirs. They were led through a trial by fire if you will. So they knew the importance of a strong standing army in that day and time. So Maharaja Ranjit had generals brought in from all over Europe to teach the army advanced tactics. He had cannons imported from Persia. He would constantly put the army to use by helping his allies, or expanding his borders and kept them well paid(this is key for later). Another brilliant move on his part was the way he acquisitioned city-states around his border to increase it. After laying siege to the city and surrounding his troops around the borders, he would ask the Vizer, or who ever the chief was, to simply pledge homage to him and act as a puppet ruler. This quelled uprisings and assured a smooth transition. But when he died, He left big shoes to fill.

So some crazy stuffs about to go down, and it sounds like a great movie script, but history is crazy sometimes and it's important so we can understand what exactly led to the downfall of the Empire. So there are 3 factions fighting for power now. The Dogra Hindus, Ranjit's family, and the Khalsa army. Ranjit's eldest son Khrakh Singh was the next to be seated to power, and he did for about a month. Ranjit's death launched the Empire into a minor state of turmoil. A couple of the border states refused to pay their tribute if there was no Ranjit Singh, the Army thought it wasn't going to get paid, and the Dogra hindus(the Rajas of the Jammu state of the Empire) were stirring up trouble. With all this going on Khrakh Singh's son Nihal Singh decided his father wasn't worthy enough, so he took the throne and had his father imprisoned. His father died in prison. Upon returning home from his Fathers Funeral a loose rock fell from gateway of the Lahore fort and brutally injured Maharaja Nihal Singh. Nihal would be found dead in his chambers next day.

At this point (mind my french) Shit hit the fan. The Dogra Hindus, whose leader was Gulab Singh, started to comb Sher Singh, an illegitimate son of Ranjit into power. The next person to officially take power of the Lahore Court(the capital of the Empire) was Chand kaur, the eldest wife of Ranjit and mother to Khrakh Singh. This whole time the army is going nuts. They have no idea whats going to happen so they hold their own internal elections and elect a leader(I can not for the life of me remember his name, i'll get back to you when I look it up). They knew that the Court was in no condition to do anything so they marched all the way north to Gulab Singh Dogra. They threatened to kill him if he didn't open up his private coffers and pay the army. Gulab gave them a little money, but he presented them with an opportunity. If they would back Sher Singh and give him safe passage to the court, they would have a ruler on their side. So they did just that. With the Khalsa's say Sher Singh pacifically arrived in Lahore and took the seat. Sher Singh would soon enough get killed by an officer of the Sikh Army for not paying out what he promised leaving power to the Maharaja's youngest child Duleep Singh, only a few years old. So his ward, his Mother, Maharani Jind Kaur would come into power. She was not a Dogra puppet, but she had no real power.

It gets even sneakier. In a meeting the Maharani's advisory tells her that the British, who currently have Delhi and the sultanates south of the Sikh empire in hand, are fortifying their troops and preparing to attack in all this commotion. We know know they had no thoughts of doing any such thing. They were actually hesitant to attack the Sikh Empire after Ranjit's army managed to do in Afghanistan what the British couldn't. Their long term plan was to try to acquire the states around them and make them pay tribute. The Maharani at first didn't want to do anything about it yet aside from fortify their own borders. Gulab Singh reassured though that if the Khalsa attacks he will send his troops from Jammu as well. She agreed and like that the Khalsa crossed the Sutlej river and met the British in Mukdi. There and then again in Ferozshah the Sikhs fought valiently, but with no back up in sight they were defeated. They retreated across the border, where they again met with Gulab Singh, who said there was just a timing issue adn they would accompany them to the next battle. As a sign of good faith he had Tej and Lal Singh Dogra, his nephews, and their regiments join the Khalsa. The Khalsa crossed the Sutluj one more time. This time they met the British in Sobraon. Here they suffered the final blow. As they were being bombarded Tej Singh left with his regiment across the only bridge back, blowing it on his way out. And Lal Singh left shortly after alone. The Sikhs backed up against the river with no way out made a final stand and suffered heavy losses due to not retreating. The British marched to Lahore and Gulab Singh, acting on behalf of the Maharani surrendered with great tersm for him. He got to keep his Jammu and stay the Raja, history tells us he was in contact with Lord Hardinge and Henry Montgomery thought this entire affair. Punjab proper was annexed to the British with the Infant Duleep Singh as a puppet regent(after the short lived 2nd Anglo Sikh war this would be stripped as well), and the acquired city states were all added to the company. I hope that answered that.

It's a bit TL;DR but trust me, it's pretty freaking crazy.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #6319 on: November 16, 2014, 04:11:58 pm »

Two interesting things in my game:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Karlings encroaching on the british isles. They've been here for nearly 40 years now.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I won the first crusade! I then vassalised the two holy orders for fun and profit. 14.000 men for 50 piety a war is cheeeaaap.
The abassids just called a Jihad so a second isn't going to happen too soon, and I curb-stomped Egypt when they holy-warred me.
With two holy orders as vassals, around 4000 levies and a net income of 55 gold a month, I can probably go toe to toe with pretty much any one kingdom. Empires and coalitions (like a jihad or the Karlingdom), not so much. Yet.

I'm wondering if I should pledge alliegance to the ERE. If I holy war Aleppo (currently held by Egypt), the emperor could maybe mend the schism, but I dunno if the AI would do it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 04:13:41 pm by kaian-a-coel »
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6320 on: November 18, 2014, 09:55:12 am »

There's a new patch out.  I swear it caused me some problems with Firefox, somehow.  My add-ons are gone.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6321 on: November 18, 2014, 10:51:40 am »

New patch supposedly fixes the decadence (or lack thereof) problem for Muslim dynasties, but I ain't seeing it, as least not in saved games that I've continued. Giant Green Blob of Allah is still omnipresent and omnipotent with 0% decadence after several years.

Guess I'll have to start a new game and see if the problem is still there. Paradox is catching a lot of hell on the forums for how buggy CM was and the fact that this patch still doesn't fix half the problems.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6322 on: November 18, 2014, 11:00:15 am »

I'm just waiting for Lux Invicta/Game of Thrones to update, and they repeatedly say they won't update until Paradox makes a somewhat stable version..
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 12:01:27 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6323 on: November 18, 2014, 06:18:24 pm »

Elective Gavelkind: No longer creates titular kingdoms for secondary heirs

One of the better fixes in my opinion.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6324 on: November 18, 2014, 06:22:16 pm »

Hmm....not completely convinced, but it does look decadence is *somewhat* fixed. Abbasids are at 11% Decadence after 40 years in the game, and they actually are gaining monthly decadence, so the events are firing.

Guess I'll have to start my Indian Buddhist game from scratch to avoid running into the big green wall when I get to the Punjab.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6325 on: November 18, 2014, 06:32:27 pm »

Elective Gavelkind: No longer creates titular kingdoms for secondary heirs

One of the better fixes in my opinion.

It'll still create de-jure kingdoms if you cover them, though, at leastast I checked. They just won't make them up, or something.
Love, scriver~

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6326 on: November 18, 2014, 06:52:47 pm »

It'll still create de-jure kingdoms if you cover them, though, at leastast I checked. They just won't make them up, or something.
Normal kindoms cost gold and piety, are these gavelkingdoms charged to anyone or just appear for free?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6327 on: November 19, 2014, 01:10:56 am »

Anyone recommend a good starting character to be for someone pretty new? I'm still learning, but VERY very...slowly figuring it out.

I was told to choose Ireland. But that is the most boring place ever, or at least up there. I get too bored there. I don't like british isles in total war or real life (which is funny since half my family is British...hey I don't mind visiting I just find the place VERY boring if I ever lived there)

I tried Byzantines, because they are my #1 favorite. But I wasn't sure to start with a count, emperor or anything. Mostly chose different Doux. But, in the first year, my guy was assassinated...that was fun xD

Went for a later start (1066 instead of the old god one) and see HRE is huge and looks easy enough to get into. But, I couldn't do anything with the guy I picked. So probably too hard to start or I chose wrong or something.

Tried an African one down deep SW...and...that made a lot more sense to me. Not much going on there and nice and simple. I found it easier and more interesting than Ireland. I actually learned most from that lol. But, I would have preferred to be Byzantines or something else.

Went to Armenia and got owned by all the Islam countries...that was the hardest place I chose lol. I love the history of Armenia though.

I tend to prefer the eastern areas. But HRE looks good only cause it doesn't seem I'd have any trouble since they are powerful.

Any suggestions?
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #6328 on: November 19, 2014, 01:29:47 am »

Haven't tried Charlemagne, but in TOG I'd say it's pretty easy to play as a Norse character just about anywhere, with the easiest probably being the Norse on the British Isles and the hardest being a tossup between landlocked northern Norse and the mainland Germany/France Norse (one's a vassal). The Norse have kinda funny mechanics but they're hilariously overpowered early on since they can summon massive armies from the ether and basically just conquer stuff for no reason.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6329 on: November 19, 2014, 01:30:46 am »

Go with tribes around modern-day finland or karelians, there's 50%-ish chance you get stomped by swedish norses, but I started one of my longest games there and managed to mostly keep independent and later on used a chance norse heir to assimilate the scandinavia under the crown of finland. After that baltics were mine. There's lots of hard decisions and political manouvering to use there since your military's about as strong as your coffers, but normally there's plenty a chance to separate from Sweden since norse seem to love family feuds even more than raiding.
Pages: 1 ... 420 421 [422] 423 424 ... 1002