Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422 423 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2091671 times)

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #6300 on: November 08, 2014, 01:06:25 pm »

Wow, I'm still awful at OPM beginnings.  :-\  Even small-dukedom beginnings, by the looks of things.  I always appear to grossly overestimate my chances in a landgrab war and end up having my backside handed to me, usually by virtue of a single battle going badly wrong and having my kin/heir/self captured by the enemy, resulting in an immediate massive malus to my warscore.

Damn Livonians.  :(
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6301 on: November 08, 2014, 01:24:36 pm »

Pala game continues to go well, made a strategic marriage of my son to a princess of Maharashtra, then when her infant brother gained the throne, waged a war to place her on the throne. Had to intervene several times over the next 50 years to keep her enthroned (and slowly expand the already hefty territory). My son inherited the empire, his wife inherited the neighboring kingdom, and their son united the two into a huge swath of nearly 2/3 the Indian subcontinent. I just need to snap up another kingdom or two in South India and I can form the Deccan Empire to join my Bengal Empire.

Unfortunately, submission casus belli is apparently constrained to the same ethnic group (Indo-Aryan) and South India is Dravidian. So I don't have an easy route to nomming up South India. North India, I can proceed to devour in large chunks.

Meanwhile, Germania imploded and shattered into France, Middle Francia, Saxony and Bavaria. Pictland has established a neighboring kingdom of Iuerthonn (Ireland) under the same dynasty.

The Abbasids continue to be the Giant Green Blob of Allah, and I'm thinking that something in the recent patches broke decadence in the other direction. The Abbasids have over 600 living dynastic members and yet continuously have 0% decadence. And they're not putting down countless rebellions and draining the decadence that way. Anyone know if the decadence mechanics changed significantly?

I need to liberate Sindh from their grasp in order to become Samrat Chakravartin, but I'm terrified of going up against an empire that stretches from Pakistan to Morocco.

Unless you dedicate about 150 years to specifically targetting the Abbasids, killing off the good family members and leaving only the debaucherous and sinful jerks, they're not going anywhere. You've noticed how the constantly expanding and always holy war makes it so their decadence will never go up, and they continue to snowball with the bonuses a 0% decadence gives you. I knew the whole decadence thing was broken, but the new update with the 0% decadence biggest empire in the world is pretty indicative of a broken mechanic. Especially how it adds morale, etc when at 0, making it a self-fulfilling stat.

My Zoroastrian game became such a slog with Abbasids constantly expanding while I nicked away at Iran between their horseshit 25k stack invasions from time to time. It's ridiculous how powerful they are unless you devote all your tactics to wearing the dynasty and empire itself down.

It's kinda fun, but then again, unbeatable empires at start dates that never fall apart even when they're supposed to aren't my kind of thing.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 01:27:56 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6302 on: November 08, 2014, 01:38:11 pm »

Well that's why I'm wondering what changed in the mechanics of decadence. NPC Abbasids used to have pretty regular internal dynastic wars, and if they didn't they'd be up to 60-70% decadence quickly and start suffering decadence wars.

Do landless males of the dynasty no longer contribute towards decadence?? I had a Zikri game at one point that was going swimmingly except decadence got out of control because of the sheer number of landless males.

I've started trying to use my Chancellor to sow dissent between the Caliph and some of his far-flung Sultans, and I guess I'll have to make some strategic assassinations as well. Which feels a bit weird since I'm playing this dynasty as Buddhist zealots, slowly trying to to erode Hinduism and Jainism out of India.

The complete lack of a Shi'ite counterweight doesn't help, nor does the fact that the Ummayyads seem content to hold Hispania and work *with* the Caliphate against the kaffirs in Germany and Constantinople. Even when the two Christian empires allied against the Caliphate to defend Armenia, they lost.

(But hey, that makes for an interesting EU IV scenario as well -- a non-fragmented Caliphate that can make up for the Muslim tech malus with sheer size).

Be interesting to see what happens when Genghis and Co. show up in a couple hundred years. Central Asia is a fragmented mess, but it's Reformed Tengri. Assuming the Mongols conquer or co-opt those, they'll either push into pagan Rus/Ruthenia/Poland or run into the Giant Green Blob of Allah (or GGBA as I've taken to referring to it).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6303 on: November 08, 2014, 02:52:16 pm »

I recently started a game in 867 and began reforming every religion i could find and save. That led to...interesting events. Currently Lithuania is a massive Superpower occupying most of the baltic and the only stable nation in the world to boot.

In England Irish Norsemen, Bretonnian Norsemen, The Irish Kingdom of Alba (formerly Scotland) and The Welsh Christians of Gwynedd are duking it out in constant holy wars, host invasions and christian/norse/culture uprisings. basically so far nobody could claim the core of england itself.

Finland flourished with reformed suumonesko and while no longer a major power (they never removed gavelkind, which led to a slow splintering of their massive northern realm) is still a threat to Russia and Lithuania.

Yes Russia somehow managed to stay and form a somewhat useful nation. That is they are constantly breaking up in succession wars only to reconfigure themselves either as ruthenia or rus. At least they hold the tengris at bay.

France is broken into Lollardist France, which is slowly shrinking away, being eaten bit by bit by the HRE,Aquitaine and Norse Brittany. Holy shit Brittany is awesome in this game. You remember that small Jarl of Nantes in 867? The Haesteinning dynasty? Well they not only occupied brittany somehow but also Cornwall, good chunks of england and a good part of Northwestern France. They lost it however but are still strong and kicking.

Reforming the African Faith has proved impossible. While i united all of De Jure Mali, i can't bring down the Idrizid blob which has expanded into spain and eaten the umayyads who were losing against the reconquista. The only remaining question is how long it takes them to expand through the various spanish duke- and kingdoms and into Aquitaine.

Orthodox Faith is nearly extinct. While the ERE is standing strong (at least so far) and has even expanded onto the Krim and a bit into the Syrian/Libanon Area, they have converted to the Miaphysite Faith. The only somewhat Orthodox nation remaining is Bulgaria, which is dealing with constant paulician rebellions and barely holding back the occasional ERE or Cuman Invasion.

A Curious Novum is the Nation of Abkhazia. a broken off part of the ERE they are Iconoclast Georgians which managed to push back Cumania and Abbasids to occupy the Area of Alania and Georgia. I renamed them to Abkhazia again after they formed Georgia just because they were so awesome. Every now and then the Alans break off and stay independent for a few years befor etheir king gets lynched and the Abkhazians take over again.

Central/Eastern Europe is interesting in itself. the Magyars managed to not only occupy hungary but also Greater Moravia and then all those Tribes on the Baltic. Truly massive, they were pushing into the HRE until the Pope called a Holy Crusade and i managed to reform the Slavic Faith.
The Result was the complete breakdown of hungarian culture and the Tengris in the region. Hungaria became Pannonia: a Bohemian Christian State. Greater Moravia was rebirthed as three county dukedom moravia and the Polish Tribes regained independence although none of them has managed so far to take the throne of poland, they are still independent and nobody who tried to mess with them suceeded so far.

The last vestige of Hungarian Tengries has formed the Kingdom of Pomerania and covers the grand total of one county. Lodged between the HRE and the Fylkir of Denmark, it is the battleground of the now constant holy wars and invasions between the two nations.

Denmark is a prosperous Theocracy. Though not so by game rules, its Elective Monarchy and the Fact that the RUler is a Fylkir and always calling Great Holy Wars against HRE makes it one. None have succeded so far , since Sweden is dealing with the War of the Hundred Queens.

You heard that right. For some reason Sweden has only Queens, which are in a never-ending civil war with each other. By my last count they were in a civil war for now well over 100 years.
Norway while a considerable pwoer has lost much influence due to the Byzantine Empire deciding to go "fuck it lets take the Faroers" and consequently also occupied iceland. Just because. Now they are trying again and again against all reason to retake them and suffer from about as much succession wars as Sweden.

And last but not least my favourite ahistoric nation in the game: the Priest-Kings of Orvietto. In the year 900, during the Second Great Scourge of Germany by the Danes, a Norse man named Oddr somehow managed to occupy four provinces in western italy, directly next to the Papacy. To top it off he also snatched a Castle directly in the City of Rome.
That dude was made of such sheer awesomeness that he survived 1 Crusade and several incursions by the HRE. When he died however the Priest Kingdoms fell apart and all remains now is a single county in Pisa, stubbornly clinging to live in this very hostile neighbourhood of the HRE.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6304 on: November 08, 2014, 03:08:49 pm »

Welllllllll

I scanned, no virus. Windows STILL thinks CK II is a virus, so I try to make an exception for it. You know, that thing you're supposed to do if it closes a safe program?

Ha, no, says Windows. You MUST run DEP for this program. Why? Don't need to tell you why, you just fucking do. Enjoy having us close your game every 30 minutes for NO FUCKING REASON.

I'm tempted to disable DEP, but I'm unsure exactly how much it could protect me from a virus.

Why in the name of FUCK can't Microsoft make a security system that, y'know, works as FUCKING INTENDED?
Microsoft security is the worst. They literally have had this bullshit where a well known game "crusaderkings.exe" is labelled as somehow the same thing as some rogue.crusader just because crusader is in the title. It's been years now.

I'm using the MS security stuff built into Windows 8.1, and I have no fucking clue what you are talking about.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6305 on: November 08, 2014, 06:53:58 pm »

Welllllllll

I scanned, no virus. Windows STILL thinks CK II is a virus, so I try to make an exception for it. You know, that thing you're supposed to do if it closes a safe program?

Ha, no, says Windows. You MUST run DEP for this program. Why? Don't need to tell you why, you just fucking do. Enjoy having us close your game every 30 minutes for NO FUCKING REASON.

I'm tempted to disable DEP, but I'm unsure exactly how much it could protect me from a virus.

Why in the name of FUCK can't Microsoft make a security system that, y'know, works as FUCKING INTENDED?
Microsoft security is the worst. They literally have had this bullshit where a well known game "crusaderkings.exe" is labelled as somehow the same thing as some rogue.crusader just because crusader is in the title. It's been years now.
I've used ms security for years. Haven't had any issues. Never had that above problem either.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6306 on: November 09, 2014, 02:26:00 pm »

Yeah, apparently there was a bug in CM that caused decadence events to fail to occur for AI Muslims, thus triggering 0% decadence and mass blobbing.

Thanks, Obama! More proof of his secret Muslim agenda.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6307 on: November 10, 2014, 05:24:54 am »

- Elective Gavelkind: No longer creates titular kingdoms for secondary heirs

Yeah, about that...

I've had two kingdoms, only one of which actually existed and was my primary title (Rus'). I hadn't created the second one (Ruthenia), but controlled 51%+ of the provinces.

When the king died, the primary heir got Rus' and one of the secondaries got Ruthenia (even though, again, its title didn't exist) and split off.

Apparently, the system will give you grief and limit you to one kingdom until you adopt feudalism.

Which is a whole other problem. Forts forts forts.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 05:42:56 am by Valikdu »

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6308 on: November 10, 2014, 05:47:41 am »

- Elective Gavelkind: No longer creates titular kingdoms for secondary heirs

Yeah, about that...

I've had two kingdoms, only one of which actually existed and was my primary title (Rus'). I hadn't created the second one (Ruthenia), but controlled 51%+ of the provinces.

When the king died, the primary heir got Rus' and one of the secondaries got Ruthenia (even though, again, its title didn't exist).

A title is called titular if it has no de jure provinces (the Kingdom of Genoa for example). Ruthenia, as it still had de jure provinces, was therefore not titular and could be autocreated to be given to your secondary heir.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6309 on: November 10, 2014, 05:53:34 am »

A title is called titular if it has no de jure provinces (the Kingdom of Genoa for example). Ruthenia, as it still had de jure provinces, was therefore not titular and could be autocreated to be given to your secondary heir.

Aha.
Well... Seems like I'll need to keep to just the one kingdom, and construct additional pylons stone forts for the next several generations.

Or I could give away some provinces until I've got less than 50% of Ruthenia.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 05:57:55 am by Valikdu »

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6310 on: November 10, 2014, 08:40:57 am »

Aha.
Well... Seems like I'll need to keep to just the one kingdom, and construct additional pylons stone forts for the next several generations.

Or just get an imperial title so that you can have vassal kings.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #6311 on: November 10, 2014, 09:54:16 am »

Ghazkull, would you mind uploading a save or a few screenshots in various mapmodes? I'd like to see that 'Europe' of yours.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6312 on: November 12, 2014, 10:22:50 pm »

Aha.

Or just get an imperial title so that you can have vassal kings.

Or just ritually kill your brother and retake your birthright every generation you inherit, like a real pagan.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6313 on: November 13, 2014, 04:56:02 pm »

Welllllllll

And yet it casually lets my system get overrun by a virus masquerading as one of THEIR programs. Nice job asshats.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6314 on: November 14, 2014, 02:27:55 am »

I mean I'll be honest, before I turned it off (in favor of 3rd party program, don't worry) the windows firewall would routinely mark programs made by Microsoft as viruses, which I thought was hilarious.  So I don't think Microsoft intentionally gives their own programs leeway.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422 423 ... 1002