Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 418 419 [420] 421 422 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2091677 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #6285 on: November 07, 2014, 12:17:04 pm »

Why light cav?

Was the archer thing a recent thing? I've used archers before and they didn't particularly stand out or anything.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6286 on: November 07, 2014, 01:50:51 pm »

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #6287 on: November 07, 2014, 01:52:08 pm »

Anyone else thinking of starting at the earliest, using observe until the latest, and then exporting it to EU4 to observe some more and see what kind of messed up world comes out?

Sans observing more after converting, have actually done this.  But the world it spat out was not interesting; it was just Mongols right, Aztecs left and [...] Byzantines in the middle.
Not interesting?
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6288 on: November 07, 2014, 02:50:36 pm »

Having a pretty good run with the Pala Empire, off in the far eastern corner of India. Used a Charlemagne start and over a couple of generations got my centralization and crown authority high enough to get Ultimogeniture passed in all three of my kingdoms (Bengal, Bihar and Kamarupa which I forced into submission early) so that my fledgling empire didn't get broken apart. Steadily kept adding territory (and got lucky when my restless cousin raised a host and conquered Lanka, then died childless and I inherited the kingdom) and eventually declared the Bengal Empire in 887. Current save is 898.

Now to sweep south and absorb the Deccan kingdoms, then west and north to absorb Rajastan. Then I can raise a true Imperial India before the Mughals arrive and I kick them to the curb.

I only hope that the Abbasid Caliphate fractures before then because holy Giant Green Blob of Allah.

In Europe proper, things have gotten a bit derpy. Charlemagne the Cruel never bothered with Lombardy, so there is still no Holy Roman Empire, only Germania, which is about 5 years away from de jure incorporating Middle Francia (Lotharingia/Lorraine), 25 years from incorporating West Francia (France), and 33 years from incorporating Aquitaine. Oh, and 27 years from incorporating Frisia.

The Lombards have steadily crept southward through Italy, save for a few Byzantine provinces in Napoli and Sicily, and the Holy See. If the Lombards eventually take Sicily from Constantinople, they'll no doubt resurrect the Empire of Italia.

In the East, Poland is a sprawling mess of a kingdom, stretching from Lausitz to Murom, but with lots of pockets and enclaves outside its control. And it's still Slavic pagan.

Rus is concentrated around Novgorod, and its king is a Mordvin who follows the Finnish gods.

The Ummayyads completely dominated the Iberian peninsula and declared the Empire of Hispania. The only Reconquista has been a tiny German salient holding Tarragona.

England is a godawful fratricidal mess, with the only regional hegemon in the British Isles being Pictland.

Likewise, central Asia is a fragmented morass despite the Tengri reformation (or perhaps *because* of it)

Shia Islam is extinct, and Romuva paganism is nearly extinct.

All in all, this could be an interesting one to watch. A Europe with potentially no independent France, a Muslim Spain, a Scottish-dominated Britain, an Italy separated from German dynastic struggles, and no HRE?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6289 on: November 07, 2014, 03:54:35 pm »

Anyone else thinking of starting at the earliest, using observe until the latest, and then exporting it to EU4 to observe some more and see what kind of messed up world comes out?

Sans observing more after converting, have actually done this.  But the world it spat out was not interesting; it was just Mongols right, Aztecs left and [...] Byzantines in the middle.
Not interesting?
That's... a later version?  Its only 4 updates back from the most recent, which in CK2 terms is approximately nothing given how often this game is updated.  India wasn't even on the map in the version I'm talking about.  Also that's not even a valid comparison, that person is doing a suggestion game, we're talking about pure AI.

Like I said in the full quote, the current version tends to be a bit more varied.  At the time the game was VERY predictable.  Muslim realms never broke, so if the mongols/aztecs hadn't come it would have literally been muslims doing almost exactly the same thing.  They owned all of West Europe except Britain, they owned the usual Arabian blob but were also conquering Eastern Europe and slowly eating the Byzantine Empire.  There were seriously like 3 nations worth mentioning at all, everyone else was completely helpless.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6290 on: November 07, 2014, 04:26:18 pm »

for some reason Windows (Not the AV, windows) is under the impression that CK II is a virus and stopped it working citing some 'Data execution prevention'

That was a plot by your disloyal spymaster.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6291 on: November 07, 2014, 04:28:09 pm »

Not interesting?
That's... a later version?  Its only 4 updates back from the most recent, which in CK2 terms is approximately nothing given how often this game is updated.  India wasn't even on the map in the version I'm talking about.  Also that's not even a valid comparison, that person is doing a suggestion game, we're talking about pure AI.

Eh? That particular game was started way before India came out.

The creator started as an OPM count in ironman and only started writing the AAR after the world became too interesting. It only became a quasi-suggestion game after importing to EU4.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6292 on: November 07, 2014, 04:30:33 pm »

Luckily I set the autosave to yearly, but for some reason Windows (Not the AV, windows) is under the impression that CK II is a virus and stopped it working citing some 'Data execution prevention'

Have you considered the possibility that you may in fact have a virus? I say, because I have DEP on, and that doesn't happen here.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6293 on: November 07, 2014, 04:59:24 pm »

*attempts to play a republic*

*loses an election, and the game, when the republic turns into a kingdom, and it tells me I can't rule a republic, which makes no sense, but is a bug which was supposedly fixed weeks ago*

I guess Paradox still hasn't put out a non-beta patch with any bug fixes...
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6294 on: November 07, 2014, 05:53:17 pm »

Not interesting?

Eh? That particular game was started way before India came out.

The creator started as an OPM count in ironman and only started writing the AAR after the world became too interesting. It only became a quasi-suggestion game after importing to EU4.
Ah, ok.  I'll have to read more then.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6295 on: November 07, 2014, 06:27:38 pm »

There's some kind of bug where a vassal that doesn't exist wants to cede land to the Teutonic Order.  Huh.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6296 on: November 07, 2014, 07:56:46 pm »

I scanned, no virus. Windows STILL thinks CK II is a virus, so I try to make an exception for it. You know, that thing you're supposed to do if it closes a safe program?

Ha, no, says Windows. You MUST run DEP for this program. Why? Don't need to tell you why, you just fucking do. Enjoy having us close your game every 30 minutes for NO FUCKING REASON.

That's...incredibly bizarre.  Like Shadowlord, I've got DEP on and it doesn't have any issues with CKII.  Has it always happened, or only recently (e.g. after the most recent patch)?  Because that's definitely not Working As Designed.  :-\
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6297 on: November 07, 2014, 08:51:15 pm »

Yeah, I don't have the beta patch. Of course, without it, it seems to be kind of non-playable. (I could revert to an older version, though, since they added that option, but then I'd be even farther away from whatever their current design for the game is)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6298 on: November 08, 2014, 01:21:52 am »

Pala game continues to go well, made a strategic marriage of my son to a princess of Maharashtra, then when her infant brother gained the throne, waged a war to place her on the throne. Had to intervene several times over the next 50 years to keep her enthroned (and slowly expand the already hefty territory). My son inherited the empire, his wife inherited the neighboring kingdom, and their son united the two into a huge swath of nearly 2/3 the Indian subcontinent. I just need to snap up another kingdom or two in South India and I can form the Deccan Empire to join my Bengal Empire.

Unfortunately, submission casus belli is apparently constrained to the same ethnic group (Indo-Aryan) and South India is Dravidian. So I don't have an easy route to nomming up South India. North India, I can proceed to devour in large chunks.

Meanwhile, Germania imploded and shattered into France, Middle Francia, Saxony and Bavaria. Pictland has established a neighboring kingdom of Iuerthonn (Ireland) under the same dynasty.

The Abbasids continue to be the Giant Green Blob of Allah, and I'm thinking that something in the recent patches broke decadence in the other direction. The Abbasids have over 600 living dynastic members and yet continuously have 0% decadence. And they're not putting down countless rebellions and draining the decadence that way. Anyone know if the decadence mechanics changed significantly?

I need to liberate Sindh from their grasp in order to become Samrat Chakravartin, but I'm terrified of going up against an empire that stretches from Pakistan to Morocco.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6299 on: November 08, 2014, 12:59:09 pm »

Welllllllll

I scanned, no virus. Windows STILL thinks CK II is a virus, so I try to make an exception for it. You know, that thing you're supposed to do if it closes a safe program?

Ha, no, says Windows. You MUST run DEP for this program. Why? Don't need to tell you why, you just fucking do. Enjoy having us close your game every 30 minutes for NO FUCKING REASON.

I'm tempted to disable DEP, but I'm unsure exactly how much it could protect me from a virus.

Why in the name of FUCK can't Microsoft make a security system that, y'know, works as FUCKING INTENDED?
Microsoft security is the worst. They literally have had this bullshit where a well known game "crusaderkings.exe" is labelled as somehow the same thing as some rogue.crusader just because crusader is in the title. It's been years now. 
Pages: 1 ... 418 419 [420] 421 422 ... 1002