Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2091845 times)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #6225 on: October 16, 2014, 09:33:18 pm »

Elective Gavelkind also really sucks, I hope they fix it in a patch. Literally no logic in how the AI votes, and I've had times where the heir wasn't the one with the most votes. I was hoping to play a campaign where I kingdom-hopped around leaving the old kingdoms behind but in my dynasty, and I physically can't because my asshole heir ruling half my kingdom will vote for my inbred cousin in sweden instead of himself.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6226 on: October 16, 2014, 10:34:55 pm »

My votes in my elective monarchy went all FUBAR as soon as the patch hit too. Of course, I had -30 modifiers on every duke due to vassals being raised, but they were perfectly willing to vote for my candidate (my son) before the patch... I even started revoking anyone who was dumb enough to refuse to quit a plot to assassinate my son (and chosen successor, who they weren't voting for), which was a lot of dukes, but it still wasn't enough because no matter how many elector titles I hold, I only get one vote because... reasons.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6227 on: October 16, 2014, 11:27:15 pm »

Playing as elective monarchy post-patch wasn't that bad in my experience with everyone liking me. I noticed in the patch notes they tweaked elective monarchies, making electors that like you less likely to vote for your nomination and more likely to vote for your dynasty. But they seem to have totally fucked it up.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6228 on: October 17, 2014, 01:03:46 am »

Praise the Zun! I tried being a Zun-worshipping Afghan pagan satrap because...why not? Surprisingly I've been surviving for decades. When big guys come a-knockin', I just withdraw to mountains and watch them die to attrition. Graveyard of empires indeed. Then I've been opportunistically swallowing weak neighbours. I'll soon have third holy site and can look into reforming.

So yeah, I haven't really encountered any bugs worth writing home about. I had just forgotten how boring vanilla is compared to CK+/AGOT/Elder Kings. There is nothing to do really but wait for the chance to wage the next war. Lack of events and roleplaying opportunities is chafing.

So I suppose I won't be playing long before shelving CKII again and waiting for the mods to catch it. Don't get me wrong, all the glory to Paradox for crafting such fine game, but I wish they'd add more meat too and not just bones.

Edit: Small modification I noticed is that certain traits (like Lusty) only give malus towards Christians now. That is a nice change. Morality between religions and cultures was and is quite different after all.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 01:06:45 am by Majestic7 »

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #6229 on: October 17, 2014, 04:22:58 am »

Is it me or are rivers no longer navigable? Even rivers through provinces I own as a germanic character. What am I doing wrong?
Germanic (formerly norse) can travel through major rivers, but I think you need to wait for the "age of the viking" event to fire.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6230 on: October 17, 2014, 05:03:43 am »

Playing as elective monarchy post-patch wasn't that bad in my experience with everyone liking me. I noticed in the patch notes they tweaked elective monarchies, making electors that like you less likely to vote for your nomination and more likely to vote for your dynasty. But they seem to have totally fucked it up.

I noticed this as well. I had no issues getting elected for the first few heirs, then abruptly everyone started voting against my desires. Was hoping to delay primogeniture for another ruler, but I suppose that's no longer an option. I can't even load the autosave and commit suicide through failed assassinations anymore. Annoying.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6231 on: October 17, 2014, 06:15:37 am »

should have converted the french and norway first

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6232 on: October 17, 2014, 10:26:29 am »

I think that you need to build a city/castle outright. I think that if a vassal has a tribe with the necessary building as its capital it will also reform, but I feel like that won't work for republics.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6233 on: October 17, 2014, 10:50:04 am »

There's a beta patch out already! It has fixed a lot of what broke with Charlemagne.
Here are the patch notes:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6234 on: October 17, 2014, 11:03:45 am »

> - Fixed bug where the realm capital did not properly use the patrician elective law.

That explains how the Count of Ulster, who was a vassal of a Merchant Republic, became Duke of Ulster and then King of Ireland. He's not in my dynasty, and it's going to pass outside my rule when he dies, the game says (despite that I have absolute crown law everywhere but Britain, so that should be impossible).

The fix seems a bit late now...

Edit: Correction: Loaded the game, and it actually says he's going to inherit my Empire, because my electors are jerks.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 11:19:19 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6235 on: October 17, 2014, 11:05:21 am »

> - Tweaked triggers for Russian and Scottish culture emergence events.
So, does this mean we no longer need to rely on the almighty Germanic peoples to deliver Russian culture to the unwashed masses of the Volga, Dnieper, and Don?

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6236 on: October 17, 2014, 12:21:03 pm »

I miss my massive retinue armies  :-\

It's probably for the best that they changed them, but I'll still dream of the days when I could conquer all of Europe with my all cataphract retinue armies.

So far I've managed to play through Charlemagne's lifetime and to be honest it was a tad disappointing. Being the namesake of the expansion I was looking forward to some interesting event chains but there doesn't seem to be that many. There are definitely new events surrounding his rule but they are pretty bland for the most part and most of them don't require any meaningful decisions. In the end it just felt like it was just a lot of window dressing.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 12:23:41 pm by Wiles »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6237 on: October 17, 2014, 12:56:47 pm »

Better than me. I was extremely disappointed in ~780 in my new Welsh game when I look to Europe and check the "Middle" and "West" Frankish empires only to find.. Some random cousin of Charlemagne is the W.F. King. Carloman is just gone, Germany or somewhere, and has no kids. Hates me too much to come to my court so that's not an option either.

Either way, it seems the AI is WAY too gung-ho about the 'Depose ruler' plots. I've gotten 1 every game so far, sometimes multiple, one right after being deposed and taking it back.. and I keep my families tight and loyal so it's usually never an issue for me. It's probably the reason why Carloman is a no-title joker and Charlemagne is a vengeful adventurer despite them having the strongest nations and powerbases in the goddamn world..

Correction: This happens consistently having checked my other saves. Carloman just gets deposed in no time and Charlemagne is basically guaranteed to have to fight deposement after deposement. I seriously don't think Carloman and Charlemagne's lands were in serious revolt a majority of the time in this time period. I'm actually 100% sure of this fact.

I now actually remember in my Zunbil game [it's hard to keep this family small..], there was a 'depose liege' plot being ran by my Son and heir with high relations. His new ruler target wasn't himself, it was a random relative, I think his daughter's son or something... Either way, there's something fucked with deposing plots in this version. If you see it in 'threats', just arrest the person before they ruin your fun with the bullshit you lose-you lose decision.

I'm also extremely disappointed in Ragnarr Lodbrok's implementation. I didn't see any dynamic event chains nor any railroad event chains for him. I don't even think the 793 Slaget Om Lindisfarne [you know, the start of the viking age..] even is even properly represented nor does it have any actual effect on any viking nation, as far as I saw. It's just an event. You don't actually get to execute the attack on Lindisfarne. The town doesn't even get a 'looted' modifier from the event, so I'm sure it's just a transition event that actually means nothing.

BUT basically this means Ragnar dicks around in Sweden forever. He doesn't pop out his historical children...... So no real viking age because no invasion of Northumbria...

I fully expect mods to fix these issues.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 01:09:21 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6238 on: October 17, 2014, 01:09:36 pm »

I hope mod makers get on it pretty quick, a harmless mod adding a couple of traits now crashes my game every time I try to boot with it.  I get far enough every time to choose my starting time and as soon as it is supposed to show the recommended starts it just instantly crashes.

Rather annoying, really.  I never even play as those characters.  I always make a character and grab a county somewhere and see how far I can get.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6239 on: October 17, 2014, 01:56:27 pm »

Correction: This happens consistently having checked my other saves. Carloman just gets deposed in no time and Charlemagne is basically guaranteed to have to fight deposement after deposement. I seriously don't think Carloman and Charlemagne's lands were in serious revolt a majority of the time in this time period. I'm actually 100% sure of this fact.

I'm not trying to be contrary or anything like that but so far I've experienced the opposite. It is interesting to see how much the game can vary.

Charlemagne's vassals in Aquitaine do start with a -100 relationship penalty so he's always going to end up fighting them. Historically Charlemagne did go to war with Aquitaine. During the few games I've played so far Charlemagne has done pretty well for himself and seems to always manage to beat the Aquitainian revolters and run a stable kingdom.

Carloman on the other hand tends to follow his historical counterpart in the games I've played so far.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 1002