Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2092195 times)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #6105 on: October 02, 2014, 02:11:21 pm »

The viceroy thing is a good step, though. It's now quite a bit more possible to represent that byzantines and those later centralized states.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6106 on: October 02, 2014, 02:17:19 pm »

If they really decide to make a successor to EU:Rome, then I hope it will be it's own game. Rome was pretty solid, but compared to other Paradox games it's pretty lackluster, though promising.
Oh, yeah- that's what I meant. You play Rome, export to CKII play around, export to UEIV, and so on, until you win the Great Aztec-Macedonian war in HOI IV.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6107 on: October 02, 2014, 02:19:33 pm »

The problem being of course than any half-decent player will own the world avec a couple centuries. A more proper challenge would be to keep  the city-state of Athen independent for 2000 years.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6108 on: October 02, 2014, 02:39:39 pm »

That would suck so much. They're already really, really stretching the functionality of their mechanics. I mean, I really, really liked EU:Rome (or rather, the promise that it held. The possibilities, man, the possibilities!), but the province mechanics of that game really weren't well suited to the era it was trying to portray.
I'm not really well versed in classic rome. What was wrong with it? (besides instant communication, which all games in the series (with the possible exception of HOI) sacrifice for the sake of gameplay)

Well, for one, EU:R basically inherited EUIII:s totalitarian province system, while an emulation of ancient times would have to be built around the idea of city states rather than provinces. It would also have to portray the contemporary type of colonization, and how states could own cities on the coast without controlling much of the countryside and certainly not the loyalty or subservience of the tribes who lived there (this could easily have been simulated in old EU:R with just bigger and smaller provinces, but that's not how they did it).

Depending on how the "tribal realms" mechanics of the coming DLC works, those might actually go a long way to help with such issues, but I'd rather want the societal structure of the times to be the focus of the game rather than a supplement.

On a side note, EU:R actually didn't have instant communication per se. You had to send a courtier (whatever they were called) to the country you were diplomancing with (meaning you could only have as many simultaneous negotiations as you had people in your court), and then you'd either have to wait a period of time until the character returned - though I can't remember if you got the response directly or only when they arrived back home again.

edit: Super-ninjad! This is what I get for writing answers over several settings I guess ;)
Love, scriver~

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #6109 on: October 02, 2014, 04:10:27 pm »

Oh god (or Allah rather). The last twenty or so years were so painful. I pulled through, but that was something.
Playing the muslims just north of persia (zhafid something? I renamed the dynasty, can't remember). The whole country is pagan in the beginning. Didn't get that much rebellions about it until now. Between 900 and 924:

-Dumb caliph loses three wars to the basileus. He calls me in but suicide his army before I can come to help. He lost his throne to a decadence rebellion, the abassids are gone.
-Saffanids are bros but call me in a HUGE rebellion and a hindu holy war. We end up winning the rebellion (after waiting a FULL YEAR at 100% warscore for shah "the hunter" to enforce demands. DUDE.), but losing the holy war. It was won back a decade later.
-Women. UGH. Assassinate an heir. Assassinate another wife. Bi-yearly assassination attempts on each other. Whining about who gets to be first wife. Whining about the chief quadi. Whining about whose son/friend gets to be chancellor/marshal.
-Losing two heirs. The first, strong (I'll miss that), was killed by a secondary wife so his son could inherit. Said son died of pneumony. I'm on my third son. 25 diplo, shit everything else. No kidding, he's 25/3/1/1/9. This should be fun.
-DECADENCE. I have one of my half-brothers in prison and the other got a fatal case of iron overdose. Direct injection through the spinal column. Cousins got straightened, heir landed, ramadan observed. That one was funny, I got a call to arm right at the end of it, and waited a few days to finish it before immediately going to war.
-Holy wars. Holy shit the hindu holy order. 8000 ubermensch. I hate those guys. Still managed to stomp the big hindu kingdom.
-Remember how I said I didn't get that much religious uprisings? Yeah, have 4000 zoroastrians in the middle of your holy war. What's that? Not a big deal? Here, have 12.000 more. And 4.000 hindus for good measure.

Aside from that all is well. All my vassals love me so much my vizier is reduced to sowing discord somewhere in india. I persist in marrying all my daughters and nieces to decent husbands (not for the alliances), and there's a crapton of them, but otherwise I'm fine. Oh yeah, I have to pay attention so my vizier/intendant doesn't get a daughter of mine as a ward ("-1060: lost a ward") too.

In international news, bulgaria ate magyar-founded ruthenia, khazaria is agonizing, western europe is a fracking mess again, and georgia is disturbingly large, having eaten part of khazaria and all of armenia.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6110 on: October 02, 2014, 04:24:58 pm »

How is it nations half my size can pull up armies equal in size, if not larger, than mine?
mercenaries or holy orders, their vassals like them a lot more than your vassals like you, their laws are better than your laws and give them nice vassal levy bonues, they have better tech and +manpower buildings than you, or maybe their provinces are just better than your provinces

many possible reasons for this

And how the fuck do heretics raise an army thrice the size of mine TWICE? From ONE province, no less!
being heretics they most likely made a deal with Satan

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6111 on: October 02, 2014, 04:28:03 pm »

How is it nations half my size can pull up armies equal in size, if not larger, than mine?
Werecanaries Mercenaries. You can hire them from the military tab (but they don't come cheap.)
And how the fuck do heretics raise an army thrice the size of mine TWICE? From ONE province, no less
That's a bug, that either hasn't been fixed in 3 months, or you're extremely unlucky.

ninja'd
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6112 on: October 02, 2014, 04:41:46 pm »

From an abstract point of view, do you really think only three thousand men live in each providence at any given time?  There are thousands of men waiting to be drafted as light infantry.  Or women, if its that big of a deal to you.  The peasantry are numberless in this game, and no amount of sustained war will diminish them.  Kind of how the nobles thought back then, anyway.

If you keep getting rebellions or heretics, put the marshal/chaplain in the providence and convert it.  Put your numerically inferior army on a hill or across a river and bait them.  You can use a scouting force to bait them to your trap.  Use heavy infantry and archers to weaken them further.  Or Calvary, if thats your thing.  I prefer pikemens, myself.

If you think this is bullshit now, wait until an adventurer bears thirty thousand men against you or the mongols arrive or the aztecs land.  Event army numbers in this game can sometime be relative to the target, so one guy's event will spawn 2k troops, while the same event for an emperor might spawn 40k or more.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 04:47:59 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6113 on: October 02, 2014, 04:50:02 pm »

I baited them over a river. An army of 6000 versus an army of 1000...

Yeah. Curb-stomped.

I was playing as... Munster I think it was. Emphasis on was. I captured two provinces before the rapid spiral of decline set in.
You should play as a Duke under a strong christian king or the byzantine emperor.  They can protect you and you can get a feel for how internal politics work.  Which you will need when you become king.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6114 on: October 02, 2014, 05:05:26 pm »

Actually, a community game sounds like fun, if not hard to do.
PKs DF Mod!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6115 on: October 02, 2014, 05:18:19 pm »

OK, tried the game again, and I THINK I have a grasp of it. Except two parts which completely eludes me.

And how the fuck do heretics raise an army thrice the size of mine TWICE? From ONE province, no less!

Rebellions are BS is how.  Generally speaking though the game mechanic with heretics is that you have to kill them immediately or more will come.  Also the bigger you are less threatening rebellions become.

There are a lot of ways nations can get bigger armies.  First of all the true "size" of a nation is how many holdings it has; Rome for example is equivalent to 6 of the crap pagan provinces, or 3 if the pagans fill the second holding slot.  Also holdings can vary a lot in value depending on how upgraded they are.  Secondly there's a mechanic for increasing army size that only applies to your capital (I think its a buff based on your martial stat) so a nation with a very powerful capital could beat a nation with more spread out holdings.  Thirdly the unity of your realm (how much your vassals like you, and how few mid-level vassals you have), affects what portion of your nation's forces you can actually use at a given time.  Finally they could have gotten a landless army to help them, like mercenaries, a holy order, some kind of event troops. or retinues although smaller nations should have less of those.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #6116 on: October 02, 2014, 06:06:37 pm »

A succession game could be more easily set up than a multiplayer, because timezones and stability.
I'm up for either.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6117 on: October 02, 2014, 06:22:16 pm »

A succession game could be more easily set up than a multiplayer, because timezones and stability.
I'm up for either.
A succession would work better, and I'd be up for that.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6118 on: October 02, 2014, 08:55:45 pm »

Originally this post was going to have screenshots, but my computer ate them.

First game, as the King of Lanka. I fabricated a claim on Maldives in my first year, but I forgot a critical factor: I HAVE NO FUCKING BOATS. NOR DO ANY OF THE MERCENARY COMPANIES.

So that had to be let go. But one day, Maldives. One day. Later, a Death Cult sprung up in one of my provinces, that was kind of weird. After switching to ultimogeniture I sent my son to go rule there. I would later find that this action may have had consequences.

I ultimately go from ill to infirm to incapable, and die soon after at 56. Switching to my son, I soon notice a strange element in the opinions. Every character in the world, from his wife to the Pope, has a +4 from "Filled Gates of Hell with Rocks". What in the fuck did he get up to? I only sent him away for a couple years before I died! The Death Cult is still around, but I have to presume they are involved.

Luck strikes and I set my son up with a genius, but it's been 15 years now and they aren't....really....having children. I don't know why, all their traits are in order. I am still trying to fabricate a claim on the Indian mainland. It is taking FOREVER. On the other hand, I'm both wealthy and high-tech compared to all my neighbors.

I've also found that the Diwali is excellent for brainwashing your wife, with a guaranteed +45 and a 35% chance of Lover on top of that so long as you go for the lavish gift, and can be done every year.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #6119 on: October 02, 2014, 09:33:42 pm »

finally got me the dlc i wanted thanks to this sale :D
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 1002