Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2092322 times)

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #6075 on: September 28, 2014, 05:03:20 pm »

Finally got a new computer, and started playing again.
Tried going muslim. So far I was holy war'ed twice, beat them back thanks to persian bro (not related -yet-, just a fellow muslim king who spontaneously joined my defensive wars. Marriages are planned to consolidate the alliance). I counter-holy war'ed them both, getting me two new duchies.
One of them was a little hindu girl. She was killed by a Nazgul mid-war.
Also, the magyars failed to invade bulgary and create hungary.
The abassids are not doing good
The karlings are up with their usual antics.
I'm only 15 years in but I already have a Quick heir, though I failed to get a Strong one. Only one strong girl.
Must eugenic harder.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #6076 on: September 28, 2014, 05:04:33 pm »

also, starting as emperor of everything isn't the best way to get into the game, starting as a smaller fish gives you some room to learn the game before you're dealing with kingdom wide revolt type events.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6077 on: September 28, 2014, 05:06:26 pm »

also, starting as emperor of everything isn't the best way to get into the game, starting as a smaller fish gives you some room to learn the game before you're dealing with kingdom wide revolt type events.

Most of the empires and kingdoms end up with wars with other empires and kingdoms early on.

I've found that starting in Abyssinia or Sicily works well for learning the game.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6078 on: September 28, 2014, 05:13:32 pm »

what's the issue?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #6079 on: September 28, 2014, 11:36:46 pm »

Or Ireland. Also known as "noob island". Not so much on the 867 start because vikings, but otherwise okay.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6080 on: September 29, 2014, 03:26:48 am »

Or start as the Viking king of Jorvik, you get a shittons of event troops to start with, while being small enough that revolts shouldn't be too hard.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6081 on: September 29, 2014, 05:04:55 am »

I was playing a game as a Polish Slavic count starting as the Mazowieckis or whatnot from Czersk at the 867 start date.

I was doing ok, I managed to go from the county of Czersk to taking the neighboring Duchy of Grodno over. My original liege was my brother, and while I contemplated intrigue I instead supported him and his descendants in all their wars. This led to that part of the family forming the Kingdom of Poland while my branch of the family married their way into leadership in various places by marrying heirs.

It all went smoothly until a Duke was converted to Catholicism. After that Catholic and Slavic rulers traded the crown of Poland by folding to each other's factional demands without fighting. I think that may be broken as it seemed very easy to get a high enough percentage compared to the Crown's; I think because loyalist title holders will not side with the Crown but anyone with an issue will join a faction against it. Eventually a Catholic ruler held the Crown long enough to win some wars of tyranny against Slavic Dukes while I was forced to support the Catholic despite my character being Slavic religion. Early Catholic holy orders (described in next paragraph) carried those wars in every single instance, though indecisive AI and it's eventual attacks across rivers certainly helped too. Eventually my non-dejure county was lost through gavelkind inheritance to a brother and my own Duchy was revoked leaving me one County. Then my newly converted Catholic Duchess disappointed me when she managed to lose her only County against a two county independent and revoked my own last County. Suddenly I was playing as a different, Pomeranian/Catholic branch of the family. RIP Slavic religion.

In that game the Magyars conquered almost enough land to make the Carpathian Empire before they even re-formed into Hungary. They triggered early holy orders and Crusades by taking enough land from the Byzantines. All of Greece and most of modern Turkey was Tengri religion. The early Catholic holy orders were used extensively by Catholics in Poland.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 02:40:56 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6082 on: September 29, 2014, 07:47:02 am »

The Eastern Roman Empire (Byzantine) is also an easy start.  You can form the Varangian guard for a cheap mercenary.   You're also fairly large so your levies can crush just about anyone.  The ERE's imperial administration also lets you revoke duchies without tyranny so you can always take a duchy away from an uppity duke and give it to one of his grateful vassals.

You get one of the best retinues. No joke.  I was outnumbered 9k to about 15k.  I lost 2k troops while he lost 10k.  I think I was defending in plains so no defensive bonuses.  Just some good commanders with traits that add wonderful bonuses.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

GregHayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.opengameforge.org
« Reply #6083 on: September 30, 2014, 12:40:56 pm »

Vrky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6084 on: September 30, 2014, 04:16:07 pm »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6085 on: September 30, 2014, 07:41:10 pm »

The Eastern Roman Empire (Byzantine) is also an easy start.  You can form the Varangian guard for a cheap mercenary.   You're also fairly large so your levies can crush just about anyone.  The ERE's imperial administration also lets you revoke duchies without tyranny so you can always take a duchy away from an uppity duke and give it to one of his grateful vassals.

You get one of the best retinues. No joke.  I was outnumbered 9k to about 15k.  I lost 2k troops while he lost 10k.  I think I was defending in plains so no defensive bonuses.  Just some good commanders with traits that add wonderful bonuses.

Uhhh... everyone is an easy start... This is Crusader Kings 2

Combat, money, relationships, children are all meaningless. It is what you do with someone for your own enjoyment that matters.

There are no goals you need to hit or anything you need to aspire to whether formal or informal.

It is why the game doesn't simulate characters... it simulates scenarios using the people around you as props.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 07:42:49 pm by Neonivek »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6086 on: September 30, 2014, 08:23:35 pm »

CotC is now out.

I'd love to play it, but I keep getting "unsupported compression method".  So I can't unpack it to play.  Using 7-Zip.
What did you use to compress the files?  Please let it be free...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6087 on: September 30, 2014, 09:02:29 pm »

CotC is now out.

I'd love to play it, but I keep getting "unsupported compression method".  So I can't unpack it to play.  Using 7-Zip.
What did you use to compress the files?  Please let it be free...

Compressed with Winrar. Just tried to access it myself using Winrar, and it decompressed fine.

Thanks, I'll grab Winrar.

Uh, Winrar isn't free...

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6088 on: September 30, 2014, 09:14:08 pm »

WinRar has a free trial version you can keep forever.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6089 on: September 30, 2014, 09:15:00 pm »

But you're much better off with 7zip.  No nag screen, handles rar and 7zip files, cleaner interface imho.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 1002