Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 402 403 [404] 405 406 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2092385 times)

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #6045 on: September 21, 2014, 12:32:34 pm »

Sorry for the double post, but relevant to the last post, does anyone have any advice for playing a republic? I've not really done it before, and I'm not sure I 100% understand it.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6046 on: September 21, 2014, 12:45:45 pm »

Cash and mercenaries...is pretty much what its all about lol...also keep your male family member numbers in check...they get a share of the profits

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6047 on: September 21, 2014, 02:16:02 pm »

Having more male family members increase your trade post limit though, which is very important for expansion.  I always wanted my family to breed more, even paying dowries to get them wed.  Having to pay them a share isn't so bad, since they're unlikely to marry matrilinealy - so most of that money is staying within your family, more or less.

Other republic tips...  Your mansion gives good stat bonuses and a reliable income/levy, and can never be lost.  The upgrades take a long time though, so start early if possible.  The most useful but expensive is the size upgrade, which increases your all-important trade post limit (and unlocks the other upgrades).

You probably want to win every election.  It's not really hard, since you basically know ahead of time how much money you need to spend on the election.  However, there is a small random factor, so try to overshoot some.  The election is strongly based on age and prestige, so killing off the patrician of a rival house can make their electability plummet.  That wasn't usually necessary in my case though.

You can expand by placing a trade post, which lets you declare war for a city there.  Once you hold the city, you're allowed to declare war for the county.  But it's expensive to place trade posts in places where the ruler hates you, and they'll likely try to destroy it for gold.  If you can beat their army, that's not a problem.

You get a percentage bonus to trade when you control contiguous sea tiles.  That's what the "trade bonus" upgrade at trade posts is upgrading.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6048 on: September 21, 2014, 02:21:03 pm »

Is it worth it updating trade post at any point?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6049 on: September 21, 2014, 02:41:34 pm »

Having more male family members increase your trade post limit though, which is very important for expansion.  I always wanted my family to breed more, even paying dowries to get them wed.  Having to pay them a share isn't so bad, since they're unlikely to marry matrilinealy - so most of that money is staying within your family, more or less.

Other republic tips...  Your mansion gives good stat bonuses and a reliable income/levy, and can never be lost.  The upgrades take a long time though, so start early if possible.  The most useful but expensive is the size upgrade, which increases your all-important trade post limit (and unlocks the other upgrades).

You probably want to win every election.  It's not really hard, since you basically know ahead of time how much money you need to spend on the election.  However, there is a small random factor, so try to overshoot some.  The election is strongly based on age and prestige, so killing off the patrician of a rival house can make their electability plummet.  That wasn't usually necessary in my case though.

You can expand by placing a trade post, which lets you declare war for a city there.  Once you hold the city, you're allowed to declare war for the county.  But it's expensive to place trade posts in places where the ruler hates you, and they'll likely try to destroy it for gold.  If you can beat their army, that's not a problem.

You get a percentage bonus to trade when you control contiguous sea tiles.  That's what the "trade bonus" upgrade at trade posts is upgrading.

What determines who controls a sea province? I've got a sea province where I control one trade post while a rival house controls another, and despite my trade post having more trade power, the sea province remains uncontrolled.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6050 on: September 21, 2014, 02:58:48 pm »

Number of trade post I think.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6051 on: September 21, 2014, 03:03:02 pm »

It seemed to be purely based on number of trade posts in the sea.  If you have two and they have one, you win.  So it's easy for a tie like that to occur in certain sea zones, and be hard to do anything about.  If you *aren't* the Doge, you can apparently plot to steal their trade posts, but winning the election apparently puts you above such things.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6052 on: September 21, 2014, 03:05:24 pm »

It seemed to be purely based on number of trade posts in the sea.  If you have two and they have one, you win.  So it's easy for a tie like that to occur in certain sea zones, and be hard to do anything about.  If you *aren't* the Doge, you can apparently plot to steal their trade posts, but winning the election apparently puts you above such things.

Maybe they're afraid that if they plot against the lesser families they'll all band together just to get a single one of their number elected.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6053 on: September 21, 2014, 03:17:45 pm »

While Doges can't plot, they can just outright steal trade posts from other families if said family has significantly more trade posts then them.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

GregHayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.opengameforge.org
« Reply #6054 on: September 22, 2014, 11:44:03 am »

Oh, hey, I've still got a Bay12 forums account.

So, uh, this is a bit of a shameless plug, but I was one of the top developers on the AGOT mod (you know the duels? that was me) and my new CK2 total conversion project is due for an alpha release at the end of the month. I figured it couldn't hurt to make the rounds of what CK2 communities I can and try to gin up some interest.

So, for your consideration, I present Crisis of the Confederation.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6055 on: September 23, 2014, 02:24:26 am »

Damn... I've wondered what CK2 in space would look like, but I never expected it to actually exist.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6056 on: September 23, 2014, 05:27:10 am »

Could you tell us more? Is there a feature list somewhere? You cite Dune as one of the inspiration, any reasons why you didn't go full Dune (I like Dune. :p)? How close would you say it is to the Duneverse? How rich is your universe? Is there a lots of events? Are duels in?

GregHayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.opengameforge.org
« Reply #6057 on: September 23, 2014, 10:52:24 am »

Is there a feature list somewhere?

There's a partial one in the FAQ I've put up, although there's too many new features for me to make a complete one.

You cite Dune as one of the inspiration, any reasons why you didn't go full Dune (I like Dune. :p)? How close would you say it is to the Duneverse?

I just wanted to make an original setting, mostly. In general, the universe won't be very Dune at the beginning, but it's intended to get significantly Dune-ier as the game goes on. It's actually more directly inspired by Fading Suns.

How rich is your universe? Is there a lots of events? Are duels in?

Rich enough, I think. There aren't a lot of events at the moment - this is an alpha. And while I considered duels, they didn't seem appropriate for the genre, at least not for now.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6058 on: September 23, 2014, 10:56:21 am »

Seems interesting, I might give it a try.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6059 on: September 23, 2014, 07:53:54 pm »

Oh, hey, I've still got a Bay12 forums account.

So, uh, this is a bit of a shameless plug, but I was one of the top developers on the AGOT mod (you know the duels? that was me) and my new CK2 total conversion project is due for an alpha release at the end of the month. I figured it couldn't hurt to make the rounds of what CK2 communities I can and try to gin up some interest.

So, for your consideration, I present Crisis of the Confederation.
You better add a pirate faction or *in-space* wont be realist :P  Also ship capture XD.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?
Pages: 1 ... 402 403 [404] 405 406 ... 1002