Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2093485 times)

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #5730 on: July 15, 2014, 05:54:27 am »

Dwarf Fortress seems like it would be easy now you can search for dwarves in the character finder. Just get a list of every dwarf in the world and spam invites till you have the seven you need. You might have to wait and survive long enough for there to be enough dwarves generated, but I doubt that part is overly taxing compared to the others.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5731 on: July 15, 2014, 06:13:23 am »

I'm trying to get the Russkaya Pravda achievement and it's been ridiculously brutal.
If I recall correctly there's a duke on the normal starting date that already controls most (if not all) of it, just need to grab some piety by attacking pagans. But that's not particularly impressive nor dwarfy compared to what you're up to!
Huh... that would have saved a lot of time. Oh well, a bit too late now.

The remaining CK2 achievements I have are all pretty difficult to get.

1. Prester John: This is so absurdly hard. The only way I see this working is getting the Kingdom of Jerusalem, and then slowly working your way over to Abyssinia. This is a lot harder than it sounds.

2. Kingdom of David: I have no clue how to do this. There are only two Jewish nations at all that I found and they both die so quickly and brutally, it's pure luck if you survive your first ruler.

3. Dwarf Fortress: ?!?!?!?!?!?????

4. Holy Smoke: This is also pure freaking luck. And it's not something you can just reroll over and over again too. You have to play a Norse (since you can't be Aztec in Ironman) and somehow capture an enemy religion head. It's pure luck and the chances are very low. I think your best bet would be to subjugate him and them force an imprisonment.

5. British Raj: I originally thought this would be easy, just sail over to Ireland and take over a few counties as an Indian. Nope. You can't even conduct diplomacy with them as they're too far away. Not that it would matter as the most recent patch made the upkeep of boats so unbelievably expensive that that kind of excursion is impossible unless you're super filthy rich.
4 is easy, just raid rome repeatedly. Don't subjugate or conquer because you'll get crusades called. 5 I recommend being muslim. 3 just invite dwarves and breed with them. 2 is hard, but you just need to snowball while jewish. 1 I don't remember what the reqs are.

So play as a norse and conquer britain, then down south and get a presence in India while breeding dwarves and repeatedly sacking rome until you capture the pope. Subjugate some Indians and raise your child with Indian culture. Then you just have Prester John and Kingdom of David left, assuming you succeeded at getting dwarves.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 06:15:35 am by Rakonas »

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5732 on: July 15, 2014, 06:58:20 am »

I also forgot to check that no land was held by characters of different beliefs. Ruling a multi-religious Poland is no fun.
Oh well, I still did fairly well for my first real ironman game. Nearly reformed the Slavic faith in a hundred years.

Time to start a new game and do it right this time around.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5733 on: July 15, 2014, 09:34:23 am »

4. Holy Smoke: This is also pure freaking luck. And it's not something you can just reroll over and over again too. You have to play a Norse (since you can't be Aztec in Ironman) and somehow capture an enemy religion head. It's pure luck and the chances are very low. I think your best bet would be to subjugate him and them force an imprisonment.
I'll be the first to admit I don't really understand achievement-farming, so I haven't tried it myself, but I've seen this one discussed on the Paradox boards - consensus is that it's not quite as hard as it seems.  Play Dyre the Stranger (Norse ruler of Kyiv, Old Gods start), form Ruthenia normally, and Byzantium will eventually send their ecclesiastical patriarch in an attempt to convert you.  Decline the offer, and celebrate with some roast cardinal (though it's good to hold off on holding blots after forming Ruthenia to make sure you don't have to worry about the cool-down once you imprison).  Alternately, play the ERE, convert your heirs to Norse by sending them to be educated by the vassal of a Norse ruler (though the old method no longer works), and wait.  Once one inherits, imprison and blot.  It'll wreck your empire, certainly, but it's for the achievement.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5734 on: July 15, 2014, 10:52:20 am »

I'll be the first to admit I don't really understand achievement-farming, so I haven't tried it myself, but I've seen this one discussed on the Paradox boards - consensus is that it's not quite as hard as it seems.  Play Dyre the Stranger (Norse ruler of Kyiv, Old Gods start), form Ruthenia normally, and Byzantium will eventually send their ecclesiastical patriarch in an attempt to convert you.  Decline the offer, and celebrate with some roast cardinal (though it's good to hold off on holding blots after forming Ruthenia to make sure you don't have to worry about the cool-down once you imprison).  Alternately, play the ERE, convert your heirs to Norse by sending them to be educated by the vassal of a Norse ruler (though the old method no longer works), and wait.  Once one inherits, imprison and blot.  It'll wreck your empire, certainly, but it's for the achievement.
Yeah, my obsession with achievement farming is a bit weird and unreasonable. But the achievements are all quite challenging to get, that's why I enjoy getting them.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5735 on: July 15, 2014, 10:55:24 am »

By the way, it looks like you need Russian Culture, not the Slavic religion, to get the Pravda achievement. So your King there, despite being a Slavic religion, won't work~
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5736 on: July 15, 2014, 11:07:12 am »

By the way, it looks like you need Russian Culture, not the Slavic religion, to get the Pravda achievement. So your King there, despite being a Slavic religion, won't work~
And then Umiman did weep, for though badass his feat, it was for naught.

Speaking of which, does anyone know if The Outside Bet requires you to acquire the kingdom of Englad while Svend of Denmark is still alive, or do you merely need to start as him and can do that with one of his heirs?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5737 on: July 15, 2014, 11:19:07 am »

Well, that sucks.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5738 on: July 15, 2014, 11:35:40 am »

2. Kingdom of David: I have no clue how to do this. There are only two Jewish nations at all that I found and they both die so quickly and brutally, it's pure luck if you survive your first ruler.
Don't start as a jew.  Instead play as the Magyar.  Raid your neighbor until you have a jewish woman as a prisoner.  You can convert to Judaism if you take her as a concubine.  Then when you are Jewish, the "Create Hungary" decision will all convert all of your controlled lands in de jure Hungary to Judaism.  Expand in the Tengri areas and take parts of Greece when they are otherwise occupied with the muslims or revolts.  As long as you don't trigger early Crusades, you shouldn't worry about the Karlings.  It's also wise to keep a buffer zone between yourself and the Karlings.  Don't want all of western Europe united in a holy war for one of your duchies.

Once you can start challenging the Muslims, I recommend starting in Sinai for your first holy site. It is important to take as much Muslim land and to weaken them before you trigger Jihads. Since Jerusalem county needs your religion and the temple takes 4 years to build, it will be many years before you have access to a holy order.  I highly recommend taking most of k_Syria before finally triggering Jihad with the capture of either Damascus or Baghdad.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5739 on: July 15, 2014, 11:57:37 am »

Well my next ironman game went a lot smoother than the last one.
Managed to reform the slavic faith in a single lifetime.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now time to fix the shape of my Poland.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5740 on: July 15, 2014, 12:13:01 pm »

Well, that sucks.

I'm not familiar with the achievement, but maybe you could find your heir a Russian guardian to switch cultures.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5741 on: July 15, 2014, 12:15:29 pm »

Well, that sucks.

I'm not familiar with the achievement, but maybe you could find your heir a Russian guardian to switch cultures.
That works, but it needs to be under an independent Russian ruler as well.  If I recall properly, due to culture/religion exploits as well as unintentional culture switches due to foreign tutors that has been complained about in the past, educating no longer switches away from the ruler's culture/religion. 

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5742 on: July 15, 2014, 12:18:03 pm »

There's an event or intrigue that let's you switch to the local culture, though I am unsure of the requirements. I'm betting you need to have your capital in a Russian-culture province, at the very least. Possible that your realm needs to be majority-Russian as well. And it make only be for certain cultures like Norse.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5743 on: July 15, 2014, 12:34:56 pm »

Well, that sucks.

That works, but it needs to be under an independent Russian ruler as well.  If I recall properly, due to culture/religion exploits as well as unintentional culture switches due to foreign tutors that has been complained about in the past, educating no longer switches away from the ruler's culture/religion.
Not independent, just landed.  A landed tutor will try to convert to his/her religion and culture.  A courtier will not convert.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5744 on: July 15, 2014, 01:44:44 pm »

Kingdom of David seems like it would be a matter of playing as the Byzantine Emperor until you're deathballing, and then having Jewish courtiers educate your heirs until one of them sticks.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385 ... 1002