Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 380 381 [382] 383 384 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2093580 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #5715 on: July 11, 2014, 11:20:41 am »

Crusades can be called even if the Pope loses his capital.

Yes you did screw the pooch.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5716 on: July 11, 2014, 11:43:48 am »

So, if I take Rome, will the Pope still call crusades.  He won't have an army to enforce them with.  I considered giving him Sardina or  some island Duchy . . .
Rome is the highest weight for crusade targets.  It'll be the first thing he calls crusade for.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5717 on: July 14, 2014, 11:27:25 am »

So I finished, 600(?) years.  I owned most of Western Europe, and England and could have owned mali and more of arabia.  As it was I owned Egypt and chunks of the ME.

In 1250ish Monty did come, and it was terrifying to see their slow march of stacks of 11k around.  They landed first in Ireland, and then in Moorish land.  I actually own the southern bit of the Gibilterra, and half of that kingdom.  They took out the musies there and Ireland and England before I noticed normal stack sizes.

When they came, Scotland had lost control of France, which split into Aquitaine and West France.  Pseudo-Rome split into Lombardy (italy, or what was unconquered by me), Burgandy, and Lorethine-y.  Eastern France and my Hungary family ate Poland, and the Ilkhanate ate Seljuks and the golden horde  (why they kill their friends?  The golden horde was pathetic, although Turkestan was huge).

By the time they DoWed me, I was able to muster 60k troops and had a retinue of 15K, 7500 of them camels.  Ive noticed that pound for pound camel beat HI.  No issue other than their 40k stack.

Fun game, definitely learned.  Like don't marry your heir to a fucking , that bitch wont let you control your heir or his kids.  I lost 2 generations to her, and of course my sultan had an intrigue of 1.

Also, dont give land to a Jew.  He, he will set up all jewish vassals and rebel.  And have a diplomacy of 24, so everybody likes him.

---

Ironman is annoying, with how often it saves.  I think Ill just use the honor system, which I mostly held to this last game.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 12:31:40 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5718 on: July 14, 2014, 02:31:22 pm »

I've never really delved into the Legacy of Rome DLC before, despite having had it for ages - how exactly does one go about (re)forming the Roman Empire?  Can you?  Did I imagine that?  :P
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5719 on: July 14, 2014, 02:52:55 pm »

Be the byzantines, take lots of land in Italy/Croatia and in the middle east (also a bit of northern Africa). Then you can form the Roman Empire (Basically the western powers go "Fuck it, yeah, we can't keep denying that they're the Roman Empire) and also as a side effect you'll have the land requires to mend the schism between Catholicism and Orthodoxy (before it even happens!) which turns Catholicism into a heresy of Orthodoxy, turns half of Catholicism Orthodox and creates a ton of religious tension in western Europe.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5720 on: July 14, 2014, 02:57:16 pm »

I've never really delved into the Legacy of Rome DLC before, despite having had it for ages - how exactly does one go about (re)forming the Roman Empire?  Can you?  Did I imagine that?  :P
Yup.

Full SPQR achievement looks like this: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=269329400

To just make the Roman empire is pretty easy. When you are Basileus of Byzantine, you'll have an intrigue event that tells you what you need to reform the Roman Empire. After that you have to conquer basically what's up there to get SPQR.

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5721 on: July 14, 2014, 02:58:21 pm »

Ironman is annoying, with how often it saves.  I think Ill just use the honor system, which I mostly held to this last game.

Didn't they change it to save only once half a year with the last patch?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5722 on: July 14, 2014, 07:18:53 pm »

I'm trying to get the Russkaya Pravda achievement and it's been ridiculously brutal. The only time you'll see Slavs are in The Old Gods and the game is seriously stacked against them. They only have tiny little duchies and have to contend against marauding giant Norse armies with unlimited subjugation CBs, other Pagan guys with the same unlimited CBs, and Christians who love to smack them around. Additionally, they have the annoying forced gavelkind like all the other pagans.

I finally had some success and it was pretty hilarious getting it.

I basically started as a tiny two county guy here:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As you can see, in the 30 years or so since I started I did pretty freaking well. If anyone else is trying to get this achievement, here's how I did it:

1. I immediately raised all my troops and attempted to imprison my other vassal count. This obviously made him rebel. I defeated him, and won the war. Then I banished him. After which I did the same to every single baron. I needed the money for the inevitable next step.

2. Even before I finished step 1, as expected, I was declared war upon by four different countries. The AI are like vultures and they jump on weak targets. So if you're a Slav, they will all want a piece of you unless you expand FAST. I also put new vassals in all the empty baronies.

3. I used the 300 gold I got from all the banishing to hire a 225 gold mercenary army. I merged this army with my existing one so my ruler can be a leader. This is important as you need the prestige, tech, and gold from it. This 2250 size army is more than enough to handle 4 countries at that point in time. I defeated the initial invading armies and conquered their capitals, after which I withdrew my armies back to my country. This is because I couldn't afford to maintain my mercenary army to siege those wars to victory. As you can tell, I'm bleeding money and I need more ASAP.

4. I go for the easy targets, my own barons again. I got another few hundred from them and replaced them once more. This time, I also put my extra sons in them too (Look at that picture and see how much of a baby factory my wife is). This is so I can kill them easily afterwards.

5. Now I start declaring war on everyone I can declare war on. I subjugate everyone. After I subjugate them, I immediately try to imprison them again, and banish them for mad money. By now I have hired this same mercenary army for over 20 years. Again, nothing can stand against 2250 men and everything collapses and gives me phat lootz.

6. At this point I turn around and start farming my barons again. I also make sure to kill off my baron extra sons too. I'm quite happy that I haven't died of old age so now the succession is secure even in gavelkind and hopefully the next ruler can reform the faith and get a proper inheritance law.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5723 on: July 14, 2014, 07:31:50 pm »

Didn't they change it to save only once half a year with the last patch?

It used to save more often?  :|
If I save once every other year that is a lot.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5724 on: July 14, 2014, 08:28:35 pm »

Pay attention to the religion of your guardian.
Having your ruler switch to an undesired religion 1 year before he comes of age can be very painful, especially in ironman.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5725 on: July 14, 2014, 11:33:10 pm »

The Byzantine emperor is of my dynasty and is my husband, because I wanted to unite my dynasty's two empires. My dead father-in-law, in his infinite wisdom, decided to turn Byzantium into an elective monarchy. Of course, the AI doesn't have any idea how to run an elective monarchy, and all the dukes are voting for themselves and each other. How should I go about getting the Greeks to vote for my heir? I discovered that if I assassinate the three top candidates, the succession law acts like primogeniture for a brief period. Of course, if I do this, I also have to kill my husband and myself somehow to avoid the kid getting assassinated and succeeded by some dumb ambitious duke.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5726 on: July 14, 2014, 11:46:45 pm »

I've had little luck manipulating elective successions from the outside. Once your current ruler and the husband are dead, you (as the son) should have a claim on the Emperorship, meaning you'll be an eligible candidate. It's possible that by cozying up to various dukes you'll be able to garner enough votes to win a future election.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5727 on: July 15, 2014, 03:43:53 am »

I'm trying to get the Russkaya Pravda achievement and it's been ridiculously brutal.
If I recall correctly there's a duke on the normal starting date that already controls most (if not all) of it, just need to grab some piety by attacking pagans. But that's not particularly impressive nor dwarfy compared to what you're up to!
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5728 on: July 15, 2014, 04:49:45 am »

I'm trying to get the Russkaya Pravda achievement and it's been ridiculously brutal.
If I recall correctly there's a duke on the normal starting date that already controls most (if not all) of it, just need to grab some piety by attacking pagans. But that's not particularly impressive nor dwarfy compared to what you're up to!
Huh... that would have saved a lot of time. Oh well, a bit too late now.

The remaining CK2 achievements I have are all pretty difficult to get.

1. Prester John: This is so absurdly hard. The only way I see this working is getting the Kingdom of Jerusalem, and then slowly working your way over to Abyssinia. This is a lot harder than it sounds.

2. Kingdom of David: I have no clue how to do this. There are only two Jewish nations at all that I found and they both die so quickly and brutally, it's pure luck if you survive your first ruler.

3. Dwarf Fortress: ?!?!?!?!?!?????

4. Holy Smoke: This is also pure freaking luck. And it's not something you can just reroll over and over again too. You have to play a Norse (since you can't be Aztec in Ironman) and somehow capture an enemy religion head. It's pure luck and the chances are very low. I think your best bet would be to subjugate him and them force an imprisonment.

5. British Raj: I originally thought this would be easy, just sail over to Ireland and take over a few counties as an Indian. Nope. You can't even conduct diplomacy with them as they're too far away. Not that it would matter as the most recent patch made the upkeep of boats so unbelievably expensive that that kind of excursion is impossible unless you're super filthy rich.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5729 on: July 15, 2014, 05:05:32 am »

Honestly the best way to get British Raj would be to conquer the two northern Indian Empires as a religion that can Holy War, and then use your massive armies and retinues to holy war the Muslims every time the truces runs out.  Sort out actually accomplishing the achievement when you're an unstoppable deathblob.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 380 381 [382] 383 384 ... 1002