Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 382 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2093674 times)

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #5685 on: July 05, 2014, 10:35:00 am »

Elective is best law.
If you "straight-up lose" by losing the election, you fucked up somewhere. Sure, you may lose your kingdom/empire title, but you don't GAME OVER. You still have at least a duchy. From there you can try and get you re-elected, or just plain faction your way back on the throne.
I never had problems with elective, you just need to raise your heirs good, and maintain good relations with your top vassals.
It's good to note that in elective empires, dukes under vassal kings don't get to vote, and kings get more votes than dukes. So I only have to get half a dozen people to like me.

Tanistry is even better though, since it's basically "Elective, but you can't lose". Unfortunately, I think it only works for the Irish, and it might be completely broken.

It works for any celts, and Tanistry is elective you can't lose but at the same time you can't really influence. In Tanistry vassals don't give a damn about who you nominate, while in elective they will usually vote for your nominee as long as they like you, allowing you to handpick heirs. Tanistry is also harder to exploit.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5686 on: July 05, 2014, 10:51:53 am »

Ultimogeniture tends to lead to a more stable empire I have found...like my current emperor...he is like...25? and he has a long bonus reign of like 15

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5687 on: July 05, 2014, 04:34:51 pm »

Hey guys, does multiplayer still work for you? My friend always crashes after 'Adapting History'. I've opened all my ports and I'm not sure what else to do.
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5688 on: July 05, 2014, 04:47:12 pm »

It might be due to incompatible versions.

Also depends on how you're trying to connect to each other.

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5689 on: July 05, 2014, 05:14:24 pm »

... I only ever marry into my own dynasty for the sake of genetic purity so all my characters are deformed and inbred and often insane. It adds another layer of difficulty to the game.
I like the cut of your jib, my friend. 8)

Strangely, I've been playing this game forever, and didn't even know ultimogeniture was an option.  Is it new?  Available only to certain cultures?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5690 on: July 05, 2014, 05:19:48 pm »

It was introduced a while back.  There have been so, so many updates to this game so I couldn't tell you exactly when.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5691 on: July 05, 2014, 05:20:49 pm »

Ultimogeniture is newerish.

When ever I play, I always marry my kids to Karlings for that awesome prestige bump. This leads to fun situations like me being brother in law to my daughter in law.

Gotta concentrate 'dem genes.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5692 on: July 05, 2014, 05:30:02 pm »

It might be due to incompatible versions.

Also depends on how you're trying to connect to each other.

Using Hamachi and the Paradox Servers, we're getting the same problem.

Also I'm pretty sure the incompatible versions won't even allow you to connect, but I might be wrong there.
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5693 on: July 05, 2014, 05:38:29 pm »

Ultimogeniture is newerish.

When ever I play, I always marry my kids to Karlings for that awesome prestige bump. This leads to fun situations like me being brother in law to my daughter in law.

Gotta concentrate 'dem genes.
Fairly common in my games for generations to get bunched up. I think it's due to the way fertility decreases (and maybe even population cap? Not sure) as your court gets larger. So I'll have a court of 40-80 year olds and hardly any children, then the older generation die off or I dispose of useless courtiers and suddenly I'm flooded with a mess of children in a few short years.

Then I look for good marriages and find another dynasty has just done the same thing and has better breeding/education than any of the isolated people coming of age at the same time. So suddenly I've married five of my dynasty to five of theirs inside a couple of years.

Especially funny when it lands you claims on their titles through multiple different paths.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5694 on: July 05, 2014, 05:51:17 pm »

Ultimogeniture tends to lead to a more stable empire I have found...like my current emperor...he is like...25? and he has a long bonus reign of like 15
I have +44 long reign bonuses with my current empress. Gotta see how far can I go.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5695 on: July 05, 2014, 06:55:06 pm »

I just wish there was a way to "clear the court" of all non-important-dynasty, un-married, no-child, no-claim, mediocre-skill courtiers. They just get in the way. :I
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5696 on: July 05, 2014, 07:10:29 pm »

I just wish there was a way to "clear the court" of all non-important-dynasty, un-married, no-child, no-claim, mediocre-skill courtiers. They just get in the way. :I

I try to do a marriage purge every so often, flogging them off to distant lands. If I have a break in my grand scheme plots I'll often have one marked for assassination just for amusement. Although do note any family ties that might cause problems with that...

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5697 on: July 05, 2014, 07:21:32 pm »

I was thinking more of an automatic thing, in the intrigue menu. I think some mods do an in-court marriage thing, where all the courtiers are married to each other, but that just causes more problems :V
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5698 on: July 05, 2014, 08:09:20 pm »

Urgh, I got unlucky with the ultimogeniture roulette, and my 64 year old 29 martial character just died to be succeeded by his 4 year old son. The best worst part? My good old 64 year old was... Let's say prolific, and had 13 other sons from his 2 wives and 5 concubines (I started him when he was 15). A few of those are dead now, yes, but the oldest is 47 and the youngest is 8, so my young Fylkir is going to have a rough time of it.

And I'm in the middle of 2 separate wars.

This is going to be good.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 08:16:47 pm by Glloyd »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5699 on: July 05, 2014, 08:50:05 pm »

Can't you ship them all off to holy orders? Should take some micro, but your court will be clean.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 382 ... 1002