Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2093747 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #5670 on: July 04, 2014, 05:31:02 pm »

Ultimogeniture is where the youngest, not the oldest, son inherits everything.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5671 on: July 04, 2014, 05:53:19 pm »

Ultimogeniture seems fun.  And if you can handle it, it should result in longer reigns and less transitions.
I'm still addicted to pagan mechanics (raiding is SO LUCRATIVE, also conquest casus belli) so gavelkind has grown on me.  It has its downsides, but I've found them to be fairly manageable.  The extra demesne is nice.  The hard part is forming a gavelkind empire, since you have to conquer almost all of it without forming more kingdoms...  Or form the kingdoms and pray to Odin that you don't die before the empire is done.

I do feel like I'm playing the game "wrong", though.  The conquest casus belli and relative lack of claims makes it more like a typical 4X strategy game, except with particularly dangerous internal threats.  It's fun, so whatever :)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5672 on: July 04, 2014, 06:41:09 pm »

What, no love for elective succession?  I get to pick just precisely which family members I piss off!   :P
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5673 on: July 04, 2014, 06:43:31 pm »

The hard part is forming a gavelkind empire, since you have to conquer almost all of it without forming more kingdoms...  Or form the kingdoms and pray to Odin that you don't die before the empire is done.

Yeah, this is the main reason I'm thinking about converting the Dynasty to Catholicism in the future after conquering another Duchy as a Pagan dynasty.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5674 on: July 04, 2014, 07:01:49 pm »

does anyone as clueless as me wanna play?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5675 on: July 04, 2014, 07:04:46 pm »

I'm fairly clueless, and I've still managed to enjoy it. Go for it!
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5676 on: July 04, 2014, 07:08:14 pm »

What, no love for elective succession?  I get to pick just precisely which family members I piss off!   :P

Elective doesn't need love, it's basically the best :P  You basically get to pick, *and* your vassals love you.

does anyone as clueless as me wanna play?

I keep forgetting this game has multiplayer.  It's a very slow, relaxing single player experience for me.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5677 on: July 04, 2014, 07:19:33 pm »

I'm fairly clueless, and I've still managed to enjoy it. Go for it!

Wanna play together?

Come play, my lord. :P

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5678 on: July 04, 2014, 08:15:28 pm »

Elective doesn't need love, it's basically the best :P  You basically get to pick, *and* your vassals love you.

Yeah, they all love you because they're scheming to move the empire out of your dynasty and lose you the game is why they're so goddamn happy the sons of commie bitches.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5679 on: July 05, 2014, 01:27:54 am »

I personally don't understand the logic of premogeniture...and prefer ultimogeniture >.>
Yay! Another person who's seen the light.

I really think people who think elective is the biznitz either play small kingdoms or don't play the game very long. Even if you don't have any dukes when you switch to it, you can bet that within the next 100 years your vassals will all start creating their own duchies. Single county duchies like Venice especially will be the bane of your existence.

Not to mention all it takes is one bad election and you lose the game. Like, literally straight out lose. No "well, I can just build up my forces and retake my holdings" or "I'll just fight this major rebellion and win". You just lose. Your king is trying to influence the election vote while a non-dynastic member is considered the heir? Well, hope he doesn't SUDDENLY DIE.

It's the best for smaller playthoughs though.

------------

The most fun succession is definitely gavelkind as Rolan7 said. It's just awesome. You get so much disaster and you can never expand, so it keeps your holdings relatively small and intense.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5680 on: July 05, 2014, 07:12:28 am »

Elective is best law.
If you "straight-up lose" by losing the election, you fucked up somewhere. Sure, you may lose your kingdom/empire title, but you don't GAME OVER. You still have at least a duchy. From there you can try and get you re-elected, or just plain faction your way back on the throne.
I never had problems with elective, you just need to raise your heirs good, and maintain good relations with your top vassals.
It's good to note that in elective empires, dukes under vassal kings don't get to vote, and kings get more votes than dukes. So I only have to get half a dozen people to like me.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5681 on: July 05, 2014, 09:06:32 am »

Elective is best law.
If you "straight-up lose" by losing the election, you fucked up somewhere. Sure, you may lose your kingdom/empire title, but you don't GAME OVER. You still have at least a duchy. From there you can try and get you re-elected, or just plain faction your way back on the throne.
I never had problems with elective, you just need to raise your heirs good, and maintain good relations with your top vassals.
It's good to note that in elective empires, dukes under vassal kings don't get to vote, and kings get more votes than dukes. So I only have to get half a dozen people to like me.

Sounds incredibly difficult when you get big. Everyone with votes will have "-100: wants all your shit" relations.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5682 on: July 05, 2014, 10:28:03 am »

Elective is best law.

Sounds incredibly difficult when you get big. Everyone with votes will have "-100: wants all your shit" relations.

If everyone has "-100 wants all your shit" relations they're just going to revolt whatever succession law you have anyway. While I like ultimogeniture, if you know what you're doing you just don't lose elections in elective.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #5683 on: July 05, 2014, 10:29:06 am »

Elective is best law.

Tanistry is even better though, since it's basically "Elective, but you can't lose". Unfortunately, I think it only works for the Irish, and it might be completely broken.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5684 on: July 05, 2014, 10:33:36 am »

I always use gavelkind, only keeping a single province to myself in most cases. I've governed Empires in positions like that but the problem is I do periodically have to deal with large rebellions. There is nothing worse than your inbred, sterile, elderly sister with a hare lip and bad breath being the focus of some kind of ridiculous faction hell-bent on placing her on the throne; a faction that gains all of your most powerful Dukes. This is pretty common, even the inbred part; I only ever marry into my own dynasty for the sake of genetic purity so all my characters are deformed and inbred and often insane. It adds another layer of difficulty to the game.
Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381 ... 1002