Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379 380 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2093735 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #5655 on: July 01, 2014, 10:28:42 am »

Doesn't the learning skill play a big part as well?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5656 on: July 01, 2014, 10:39:51 am »

Not that I know of.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5657 on: July 01, 2014, 10:53:16 am »

Not that I know of.

Oops. Sorry then, I don't want to spread misinformation. I just looked it up some more and I was wrong. There are posts on the forum saying it does (which is probably why I remember hearing about it) but that seems to be fallacious information.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5658 on: July 01, 2014, 12:30:11 pm »

AFAIK the only thing that matters towards which Education Trait a child will get is the Education Trait of the Guardian when they mature.
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5659 on: July 01, 2014, 01:23:20 pm »

There are numbers here.

Basically the best thing to do is raise a heir yourself, giving them the best traits possible, then trade them off to someone with the desired top-teir education trait for the best chance of gaining that. IIRC this will forfeit the +25 mentor relationship bonus, but you rarely need that for your primary heir anyway.

Also remember that military education traits can improve up the ranks if you throw the character into battle repeatedly, so if you are often at war you are very likely to have a few Brilliant Strategists around to top off your second/spare sons martial education.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5660 on: July 01, 2014, 01:40:56 pm »

Military is almost hands down the best trait, because martial skill affects levies and if you end up with an unfortunate 3 or 2 star heir you can get that up through battles potentially. Learning is nice but not essential, diplomacy is very important but is buffed by good traits, stewardship is also pretty essential but you'll get more troops and money through diplomacy+martial, and intrigue is only important in some cases.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5661 on: July 01, 2014, 02:11:47 pm »

I generally consider that martial is good for small kingdoms, but once you start advancing toward an empire title, diplomacy is better.
Educating your vassals' heirs can be a good idea, for several reasons:
1) +25 mentor bonus
2) avoiding "X vs Y" maluses
3) can pick content trait (+50 yeah)
4) vassal becomes good ruler and is less likely to get rebellions.
5) occasional cultural and religious conversion
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5662 on: July 01, 2014, 02:20:11 pm »

High level diplomacy and stewardship educations improve fertility.  Martial improves health so the guy will live longer and is more likely to survive a negative health hit from injury or sickness.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5663 on: July 01, 2014, 04:27:03 pm »

I normally just find a vassal with great traits and give my wards to him. Rarely educate the kids myself if my own character has shit stats. The reason for this is that kids inherit a lot of stuff from their mentors. So if you gave your kid to a super diplomat, you will very likely get a super diplomat.

The only thing I watch out for is if the vassal has traits like being a coward or gluttony or stuff like that because those tend to get passed along too.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5664 on: July 01, 2014, 06:14:09 pm »

Does the discovery of Greenland happen even if you turn off Aztec Invasion? I don't want my Norse Hispania game to get messed up by marauding Mexicans.

EDIT: Nevermind. I was just too lazy to check if the Sunset Invasion thing was on the main menu.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 06:25:25 pm by ShoesandHats »

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5665 on: July 02, 2014, 09:18:47 pm »

I don't want my Norse Hispania game to get messed up by marauding Mexicans.

Thur takin our jarls

(South Park reference, I'm not racist I swear)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 03:51:48 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5666 on: July 04, 2014, 12:14:09 pm »

Got started as the Petty Kingdom of Munster, and had a much better time despite (or perhaps because of) being completely irrelevant. I was able to reclaim Desmond fairly quickly with the help of my Norwegian allies, then I took away the Count of Osmond's titles through subterfuge, and invaded Kildare based on false claims when their army was away fighting against the British in Wales or something.

The only real mistakes I think I've made so far is changing succession law to primogeniture (thereby pissing off my second son and mildly upsetting everyone else but I figure it'll pay off in the long run over gavelkind), giving Kildare to my 12 year old second son to mollify him (he'd jailed the steward when I logged off for the night, why would he even do that?) and arranging for the Count of Desmond to marry my sister (he's now formed a faction to advocate her claim as Duchess of Munster, but he's the only one in it.)
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5667 on: July 04, 2014, 04:26:10 pm »

Primogeniture good.

Giving away that county to the second son: bad.

Is the second son the only other dynasty member you have? Next time look for a dynasty member with no claims on land inside your realm. Better yet just keep it for yourself as everything will pass to your heir and you won't have a count plotting for your Duchies.  ;D

In addition you should never land non-adult dynasty members. They effectively gain their freedom to choose who they want to marry instead of letting you do it for them. Betrothals might break too. Plus I think they choose who educates them, and that person has a better chance to dislike them I'd guess as they are a new ruler. You should just educate him yourself, or better have your heir do it as that second son could be trouble for him and it should give a bonus to opinion.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5668 on: July 04, 2014, 04:44:51 pm »

I personally don't understand the logic of premogeniture...and prefer ultimogeniture >.>

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5669 on: July 04, 2014, 04:54:23 pm »

Ultimogeniture?

I rarely land child family members because then you lose control over who is their mentor.  They can potentially be great marshals or stewards or whatever, if trained properly.

I don't mind giving titles to family members with claims, even though it could end up a problem for my heir.  The game is pretty much too easy if you manipulate every single thing to your advantage.
Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379 380 ... 1002