Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 375 376 [377] 378 379 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2093791 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #5640 on: June 30, 2014, 03:39:32 pm »

22 martial, your marshal gives you three

the hell? there is literally no such thing as too much skill why do you do this

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5641 on: June 30, 2014, 03:40:04 pm »

I lasted a few years longer than the historical Kingdom of Scotland, and that's about all I can say.
You lasted until after 1707? If you actually carried your kingdom over into EU4 and you were as successful as that, that's really, really good. Well done.

Nothing so impressive as that, I just derped on my history. And I will try Ireland. My thinking was that a moderately powerful but isolated place would be a good start, but something smaller and more manageable probably would be best to get used to the game.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5642 on: June 30, 2014, 03:45:04 pm »

22 martial, your marshal gives you three

the hell? there is literally no such thing as too much skill why do you do this
It's 22 (53) now. I guess the low score had to do with the fact that I was still on the journey and had a regent employed.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5643 on: June 30, 2014, 04:02:18 pm »

Unfortunately I've taken the wall as a King of Wildlings and.. nothing really happened :c That was last year, though, maybe there's some dire consequences for Westeros now if you do it.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5644 on: June 30, 2014, 05:35:53 pm »

I really wish the conversion rates wouldn't be this low. This could make for a fun scenario.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Unfortunately I've taken the wall as a King of Wildlings and.. nothing really happened :c That was last year, though, maybe there's some dire consequences for Westeros now if you do it.
If you hold the wall you get a chance for finding a horn and heaving the equivalent of the Golden Horde event in CK2 happening.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5645 on: June 30, 2014, 06:20:12 pm »

In non Old Gods start I'd recommend the King of Poland as a start once you are done in Ireland and if you'd like to try a King level title.

Remember before unpausing to do the marrying thing at the start of the game; make sure all your courtiers are married or arranged to be married. It's best to use the arrange marriage button on their character screen so you use other people's courtiers first instead of your own. Arrange a hunting trip and use the remaining gold and piety to invite as many holy men for the ladies or debutantes for the men as you can afford, remembering to arrange marriages through their character screen if possible, matrilineal if your courtier is a woman.  At the start those that cost gold cost a lot less to invite and their own dynasties will give your court many courtiers in the future if you take some time to marry them which gives you marriage fodder for your rapidly expanding family tree if needed. In your brother's court is Artur Dmowski, who you should invite to your court and marry to a fertile lady, so you have some couriers with dynastic names that aren't "of Something." He is also a good general. There is also a high Intrigue score fellow you should also invite named something Topor that you should marry to a fertile lady for another interesting dynasty. (that guy helped overthrew the historic Boleslaw through intrigue if I remember correctly.) Somewhere there is someone willing to join your court with the Dynastic name 'of the Opolianie' or something along those lines. Those are the only I remember without 'of Somecity' dynastic names in Poland at the start that you can invite to start pet dynasties before the Dukes and Counts start having children.

Boleslaw Piast the King of Poland starts with really high martial skill and pretty good other skills which makes him a good teacher for his kids. Perhaps more usefully he has a united Kingdom full of weak Dukes. He is also unmarried, but unfortunately Matilda of Spoleto starts married now so no free Italian Duchy bordering Rome anymore. One of the Dukes is his brother, who almost always dies before having children and initially the King is his heir; you can usually marry him to a low fertility wife as well. You border many small Pagan states that you will want to conquer as quickly as possible before the Holy Roman Empire, Sweden, or less likely Denmark take them. It's best to wait until they are involved in other wars as the Baltic states are surprisingly able despite appearances to defeat Poland as they tend to unite against Holy Wars. What I do is wait until the HRE declares Holy War on the Westernmost Baltic Pagan state, then after all the other Slavic pagans join the war and have their armies destroyed by the HRE while it sieges the Westernmost Slavic province I declare Holy War and take the county immediately to the East of it. The HRE will even help as long as your army started the siege. This will cut off the HRE from expanding further into the Baltic states, leaving you to take them at a slightly more leisurely pace. Poland does not start with a coastline so that gives you even more reason to need to take those provinces. Just be careful the Pagans don't form the Kingdom of Pomerania, that one's a pain in the ass that I've seen take and defend Brandenburg from the HRE. After I take one of the coastal Duchies I usually find a distant relative with kids or at least a talented young economist I can marry to a fertile/genius wife and put him in charge of a single Duchy level Republic so I can get 100+ free galleys from them which is well worth the rebellion/faction risks if you have a lot of troops and not many boats. Then you can work your way through Lithuania to form the Wendish Empire, as long as the HRE hasn't taken too much territory required in the SouthWest. Then you go up the coast before Orthodox Russian states or Sweden take Finland. If the Pope calls a Crusade for Jerusalem after you have coastline you'll have a navy to carry your forces somewhere away from the Muslim doomstacks. Attacking distant points will have them split their forces and allow the HRE's own doomstack do their thing. HRE tends to get beaten anyways but puts up a better fight this way. If you have hired any holy orders you have a good chance of being the highest scorer in the Crusade.

After all the Pagan states are absorbed, you'll probably have to resort to the usual tactics of marrying so your Heir inherit foreign lands or making false claims on weak powers. HRE is usually too strong to steal provinces from so I usually try to ally with them. Cumania and other Tengri states seems to do pretty well usually, so if you border them you can take land from them on occasion with Holy Wars though more easily if they are distracted by other wars. Hungary is a much better target; I can usually take it over by marriage and murder to send the inheritance to my oldest son. Russian states are also a good target, especially if they are splintered. If one forms the Kingdom of Rus, you could be in trouble. The Empire of Russia being formed would mean you are sandwiched between two Empires. In both cases they are excellent allies, especially if their ruler is the same religion as yours.

Eventually the Mongol hordes show up and just ruin the AI controlled powers in the East. Oh, and there are two of them. The only time the AI has managed to stop the hordes in my games without my help was when the HRE for some reason intervened several times on behalf of an Eastern ally and killed most if not all of the no attrition hordes. I think because in that game most of the Russian Duchies had mysteriously been converted to Catholicism while Hungary was Orthodox somehow, the reverse of the usual. Usually as Poland/Wendish Empire you will have to defeat the Mongol hordes yourself before they have so many territory and levies that they can fight several wars at once even without their original doomstacks. I tend to send my councilor to the Mongol court so they usually go around whatever Eastern holdings I have, while joining as many wars as I'm able to against them. The goal is to destroy their hordes. Each one you can destroy is a major victory even if you lose the war and your ally is made landless.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 07:14:18 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5646 on: June 30, 2014, 08:13:31 pm »

Why do you care if your courtiers are married?  I would think that would just increase the number of characters in your court that can contribute to plots.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5647 on: June 30, 2014, 08:19:46 pm »

I do it so I have a large pool of courtiers to educate my dynasty with. Not everyone reaches 20+ in a stat and having a large pool of courtiers ensures you have a few with high skills ready to educate people actually important until you have several distant relatives with enough skill to do the educating themselves, which will take several generations. After that I guess it's less useful but occasionally one will become an outstanding teacher again.

I don't train many people in intrigue either; often just one minor relative and assign them one of his own sons to educate until one of them is 20+ in intrigue and has traits for loyalty to be my future spymaster.

It also gives you a chance for geniuses and other hereditary traits that you can insta-marry to in-court relatives or invited claimants. Claimant's offspring are a good solution to prestige penalties for your own relatives as they can be relations of Kings or Emperors.

I do wish there was an option to mark that could have the game automate marrying courtiers from dynasties that are randomly generated with the intrigue screen invite options though. It would be a bonus if you could specify that it won't marry genius or other positive hereditary trait courtiers automatically. I guess you could call it auto-mate .
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 08:38:25 pm by Duuvian »

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5648 on: June 30, 2014, 10:18:24 pm »

I educate important heirs myself and hand out the rest for vassal opinion bonuses, or if I'm feeling too lazy to find a good candidate I have my spouse educate them because that makes sense.

In my experience high stat courtiers MIGHT give an heir good stats or they might not, and they will give you crap traits.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5649 on: July 01, 2014, 04:31:05 am »

If you ever had a young ruler and were a ward yourself you'll se for yourself how bad it can be.
"Ambitious? Diligent? Brave? Nope, can't let you do that, rather take those mediocre/bad traits."

If I ever end up with an underage ruler again, I don't educate them at all, because I can take much better options myself.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5650 on: July 01, 2014, 06:12:32 am »

I educate my heir and as many of my own children myself as I can of course, but with my other relatives I don't seem to have that issue. Are you putting them in the care of people who have interests against you or the child or that don't like you or the child? I don't know how it determines whether they make the best choices or not, but usually I assign relatives to a teacher according to whatever their highest score is at age 6. The AI tends to make them turn out fairly well. Occasionally they screw up but I'm swimming in 20+ skill people after a few generations, even if I'm stuck as a Count due to unfortunate happenings.

Due to my character's unfortunate tendency to father bastards though the wife isn't always a good choice to educate their children. For example I've educated the heir myself and assigned a second or third son to the wife at -100 relations to me and she turned the child into an ambitious envious son of a bitch Duke with high skills that tore apart the realm into civil war not a year after the father died.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 06:16:43 am by Duuvian »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5651 on: July 01, 2014, 06:26:32 am »

BFEL always educates his line of succession himself. Even if my current character has a zero in all stats somehow, it doesn't matter because you can still select the best education options anyway.

I just wish I knew how to make sure my wards get the highest level "job" trait instead of one of the crappier versions. This tends to happen even if the character I'm teaching them with has 20+ in the target skill.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5652 on: July 01, 2014, 06:31:33 am »

Assign them to a character with the highest level job when they turn 15. It doesn't work ALL the time, but still most of the time.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5653 on: July 01, 2014, 06:34:05 am »

Assign them to a character with the highest level job when they turn 15. It doesn't work ALL the time, but still most of the time.

But MY CHARACTER has the highest level job!
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5654 on: July 01, 2014, 06:49:12 am »

RNG shenanigans

Pages: 1 ... 375 376 [377] 378 379 ... 1002