Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2093800 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #5625 on: June 21, 2014, 04:34:50 pm »

It might be time to make some sacrifices.

And by that I mean take vassals who have a neutral opinion of you and give them duchies that include the vassals who hate you.

Or if you have money you could just throw money at the problem, that works too.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5626 on: June 21, 2014, 04:48:02 pm »

Imprison them all. Banish all of them. Give titles to new courtiers.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5627 on: June 21, 2014, 05:14:26 pm »

Why did you let two vassals control 90% of your kingdom?

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5628 on: June 21, 2014, 05:16:57 pm »

I don't entirely know what you're talking about, but those may be my brothers. Gavelkind is a harsh mistress.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5629 on: June 21, 2014, 05:22:32 pm »

The fix might differ according to the reason they hate you. Is it because they're a different culture/religion?

If they're a different culture: educate your heir with a man of the right culture, or outright culture convert (as an unreformed pagan you can change your culture to the one in your capital. And your religion as well.)
If it's short reign: tank it, improve legalism, improve relations.
If it's traits: educate your son well (kind, patient, just, etc...)
Desire titles/too many titles held: sort out your mess
All: give them gifts using money from raids, prestigious useless titles (hirdman, cupbearer, etc...), and use your chancellor.
If you have enough power, bury people who hate you under grateful dukes, that generally works out well.

Failing that, kill them and hope their son like you better.
Revoking for no reason increases tyranny and makes them hate you more. On the other hand people you appoint after that don't have the tyranny penalty and are grateful for the titles, so you could revoke a handful of strategically placed counties, appoint new count there, and make them dukes, burying the remaining angry counts under them.

his kingdom is mostly single-counties counts and a single duke, I don't see what you're talking about?
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5630 on: June 29, 2014, 06:35:15 pm »

The AGoT mod is really suprisingly rich in content.
The slavery system is really incredibly clunky though and playing Wildling turns into mindless busywork.

I just want some sort of starting position where I can hunt for Valyrian swords/dragon eggs or reclaim ruins.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5631 on: June 29, 2014, 06:39:44 pm »

then you want the Iron Isles >.> They have the ability to take Valaryian swords from people...which you cant normally do in most cases.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5632 on: June 29, 2014, 09:39:41 pm »

I've played as the count of that furthest right Iron Isle, the one with the most holdings. It's a good spot, especially if you want to mess up the Black King's plans in the first bookmark.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5633 on: June 30, 2014, 01:59:16 pm »

Got this game yesterday and logged almost 7 hours, not counting the tutorial. I simply can't understand how anyone can get any enjoyment out of it, it was boring for the first 5 hours and frustrating the last 2. I played as the King of Scotland and was unable to accomplish anything meaningful in that time, but there was plenty of busywork to go through. I lasted a few years longer than the historical Kingdom of Scotland, and that's about all I can say. At the very end, massive armies of English and French troops appeared from nowhere, (despite my son having married the French King's daughter) smashed every last fighting man in the kingdom, then settled in to starve out the last remaining defenders in my southern settlements, and there was nothing I could do about it.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5634 on: June 30, 2014, 02:16:49 pm »

Got this game yesterday and logged almost 7 hours, not counting the tutorial. I simply can't understand how anyone can get any enjoyment out of it, it was boring for the first 5 hours and frustrating the last 2. I played as the King of Scotland and was unable to accomplish anything meaningful in that time, but there was plenty of busywork to go through. I lasted a few years longer than the historical Kingdom of Scotland, and that's about all I can say. At the very end, massive armies of English and French troops appeared from nowhere, (despite my son having married the French King's daughter) smashed every last fighting man in the kingdom, then settled in to starve out the last remaining defenders in my southern settlements, and there was nothing I could do about it.

Aye, 'tis b'cause ye 'ave the makin's of a puh keen'
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5635 on: June 30, 2014, 02:19:47 pm »

Scotland isn't a particularly interesting start IMO.  Ireland in the default period is called the noob island because its great to start off with (you're a 1 or 2 province independent ruler fighting other 1 or 2 province independent rulers).

King of Poland is a good start, or a French Duke (maybe?  I haven't played that one but it seems like it would be good).  You can also try playing one of the Christian lords in Iberia, although that might be a bit TOO interesting.  If you have Old Gods expansion Pagans are quite fun, its not only possible but quite likely to start as an independent Pagan count and become King in a single lifetime.  Just watch out with Old Gods starts, it might not be apparent which ones are balanced and which are not.

As for the French armies attacking you... there are a few explanations for that.  It might have been a French vassal rather than the King, the King might be allied with both you and England and like the English ruler more, a death ended the alliance, or a claimant took the crown.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5636 on: June 30, 2014, 02:45:23 pm »

I lasted a few years longer than the historical Kingdom of Scotland, and that's about all I can say.

You lasted until after 1707? If you actually carried your kingdom over into EU4 and you were as successful as that, that's really, really good. Well done.

Aye, 'tis b'cause ye 'ave the makin's of a puh keen'

Here, does anyc*nt ken wit this chappie's oan aboot? Soonds like he's blaigered or aff his nut. A ken a'ts a braw nicht fer a wee dram an that an its bairly 4 pound a bottle but the white lightnin'll be the daeth of ye, min.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 02:53:41 pm by Owlbread »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5637 on: June 30, 2014, 02:49:00 pm »

You cannot really enjoy it because you don't have a grasp on how it really works. I remember how I was completely confused how do I into Crusader-Kingsing as the Kingdom of Poland so I've just been throwing parties, going on hunts and the like all the time just to have some events to decide on. Best king.

But yeah, Ireland is a good start, because you get a grasp on the whole schemey, kid-murdering, landgrabbing fun that is the basis of the game.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5638 on: June 30, 2014, 02:58:28 pm »

If you're REALLY excellent you can take scotland anyways and form some sort of backwards triple-crown deal.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5639 on: June 30, 2014, 03:33:02 pm »

Spoiler: Worth it (click to show/hide)
Now all that's left is to prepare to take The Wall.
Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378 ... 1002