Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 373 374 [375] 376 377 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2093893 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #5610 on: June 17, 2014, 10:32:25 am »

Do the other nations get retinues if you don't have Legacy of Rome?

Because if they do and you don't, you're kinda at a serious disadvantage.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5611 on: June 17, 2014, 10:33:46 am »

The AI has access to all DLC options, you just need to pay for it.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5612 on: June 17, 2014, 10:47:24 am »

you sure about that? because i'm pretty sure they don't get retinues if you don't

Then you have to manually click on every single one to see if you own it or not.
or just right click the game in your library and click view downloadable content to see a list of what you own
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 10:49:15 am by TripJack »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5613 on: June 17, 2014, 12:38:49 pm »

The expansion pack style DLCs are listed under the bookmarks at the starting screen.  Mouse over them and it will tell you what each icon stands for.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5614 on: June 17, 2014, 11:16:56 pm »

The only problem with buying CK2 is sorting through all the DLC. Especially if you own some and not all. Then you have to manually click on every single one to see if you own it or not.

http://www.enhancedsteam.com/ will make your life so much easier. It only works on the web version of steam, but it lets you see which DLC you own and which you don't at a glance from any page.

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
  • Once you go cloaca, you never go backa.
    • View Profile
    • Slaves to Alcohol: Desura DF Fanpage
« Reply #5615 on: June 18, 2014, 12:13:49 am »

So I've been pretty on the fence about giving my ruler a retinue--can anyone explain in some detail why they are (or are not) worth it? According to one of the above posts, not having a retinue may be a pretty serious disadvantage, and I'm just curious about why that might be.

Also, any comments on type of retinue that is considered "best?"

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5616 on: June 18, 2014, 12:46:47 am »

Retinue cost a lot of money initially, as there's the initial payment and then the buiildup cost. However, once they're "paid off" they cost no money. So it's a free-upkeep standing army as long as they don't lose any men. It costs some money to replace dead men and return the retinue to full strength.

Think of them as mercenaries you can keep all the time. So if you want to invade people, you can just walk your giant retinue army to the border and immediately march into the province the moment you declare war, as opposed to raising all your troops and waiting for them to band together and build strength.

They're also extremely useful for rebellions, for the same reason.

When your empire is big enough, you can permanently raise 20,000+ retinue armies. That's usually enough to conquer an entire nation by itself. No need to bother your vassals.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5617 on: June 18, 2014, 01:16:51 am »

Oh and they automatically regenerate men constantly (you can turn this off if you fall into crazy debt or something) so basically they are the "win button" for the game.

They are the sole reason the Military Organization tech is so valuable.

As for which is best, each nation tends to have their own "special" retinues which correspond to their military style (Italy has pikemen, norse have heavy infantry) and these retinues get combat bonuses over and above any other factors, making them the "best"

They do require more cap though, so you can have less of those then other ones.

My personal fave is Byzantine Cataphract Retinue, cause heavy cav and horse archers.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5618 on: June 18, 2014, 02:26:06 am »

Retinues are I feel the counterbalance to factions to a certain extent. Whereas factions enable different vassals to come together to fight against the King, a King will have a much larger retinue than his vassals, and as such this helps him keep power.
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5619 on: June 18, 2014, 02:33:37 am »

The only problem with buying CK2 is sorting through all the DLC. Especially if you own some and not all. Then you have to manually click on every single one to see if you own it or not.
A bit late (and a little off topic) but there is a really good chrome plugin for Steam which really enhances the usability in this and most aspects.
The downside is that you can't use it inside the Steam client but if you're willing to sacrifice that you can have a much better experience with Steam.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5620 on: June 18, 2014, 03:27:16 am »

I'm pretty sure the AI has access to retinues even when you don't have the DLC.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5621 on: June 18, 2014, 03:34:31 am »

I find that the best retinue is the Skirmish one. It gives you the most bodies for the retinue cap cost (500 for 600 cap), is the cheapest in gold, and the best at sieges. Only downside is that they're not THAT much effective in combat, but they are a good support for levies.

They're mostly archers, who have the best skirmish value in the game, and that's the value used in sieges.
Their high number means that the factions will be less likely to fire, and help a lot with sieges again. Usually you want at least 10 to 1 ratio to assault, but with pure skirmish retinue you can assault at 7 to 1 without too much trouble, if you really need to.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5622 on: June 18, 2014, 03:36:21 am »

My personal fave is Byzantine Cataphract Retinue, cause heavy cav and horse archers.
Yeah. When I saw that Byzantine's elite units were horse archers I nearly shat myself.

When you get 20,000 heavy cav + horse archers, battles are such a breeze. 3-1 odds? No problem. Once the charge phase of combat starts, everyone dies.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5623 on: June 18, 2014, 03:45:14 am »

byzzies are probably the only ones who can wreck the mongols using only their de jure areas as a power base which is goddamn awesome

hre can have a shot at it but given their units are not as awesome

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5624 on: June 21, 2014, 04:27:50 pm »

Playing as an England formed by Haesteinn of Nantes, but because I'm still norse, everyone hates my new ruler. This is a fairly common thing in CK2, but it's a situation I'm not entirely sure how to deal with while fighting two wars (admittedly though one is just a catholic revolt) and when there are only two vassals that have a positive opinion of me. I don't have enough cash to pay everyone off, and I can't hold a blot until I finish the wars. I don't know if I'll be able to peace them both out before they form a mega-faction and split nine tenths of the kingdom away.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 373 374 [375] 376 377 ... 1002