Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2094171 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #5565 on: June 12, 2014, 07:45:47 pm »

If they spawned in some other bordering territory, then they didn't use the boat to get to you. They just walked there and the boat just followed them.

Either way you're probably fucked.

You can either try to draw it out as long as possible and see if something happens to twist the tide or you can surrender now, kill him, and then recapture all the lands with your huge amounts of claims.

If it was me I'd try to draw it out as long as possible. It's entirely possible to get lucky. He could die of old age or some random plague. You could suddenly get a marriage alliance with some superpower nation (and if they decide to help you in your war, they always send an army to help.) You could fight a river crossing battle with all your best generals and utterly slam the bigger army into nonexistence. The AI might decide to split his army up, then you can crush them individually.

Stuff like that. I can tell you it's really, REALLY satisfying when you finally kill him.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5566 on: June 12, 2014, 07:54:35 pm »

They couldn't have walked into the county unless they declared war the day before arriving, though.  Only players do that  :P

I would drag it out but I'm worried my retinues in that battle will get annihilated if they try to flee.  Plus, even if I could refill my levies/retinue and hire some mercenaries, 10K troops simply does nothing to 30K.  No, I need to surrender.

I'd like some advice on what to do before surrendering, though.  Form Ireland and make it primary, in the hopes that I keep Wales and bits of England?  Or change my capital to save Gowrie then play vassal for a while?  I'm thinking the latter - with luck he'll finish conquering Britannia with his cheaty doomstack and silly "non-gavelkind" succession, then in a few generations I'll take my empire off his (cold, dead) hands.

Taking a break for now.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5567 on: June 12, 2014, 08:17:18 pm »

You could give your savegame to me. I could then crush them for you and write up what I did.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5568 on: June 12, 2014, 08:41:30 pm »

I would take you up on that, but it's an ironman save.  From what I'm reading, they can't be loaded on other computers  :'(
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5569 on: June 12, 2014, 08:58:57 pm »

Oh yeah, don't think they can. Oh well.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5570 on: June 12, 2014, 09:58:44 pm »

In my experience adventuring armies appear in the court that the leader is in.  I know, I've had an adventuring army appear in MY court, to attack someone in a different region of the world (Byzantine Empire from Nubia, although that's another story).

I'd bet money that you just got fantastically unlucky and walked up to his house without realizing it.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5571 on: June 12, 2014, 10:01:29 pm »

It's always strange when people are fighting over your home region in a game like CK2. I had my haircut last week in "Gowrie".

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5572 on: June 13, 2014, 07:32:31 pm »

Ok every one I'm playing a game as the Byzantines and I'm trying to reform Rome. I all ready repaired the schism by exterminating those pesky Orthodox Christian, now how do I invade the papacy? It's a little difficult as a Catholic to do that.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5573 on: June 13, 2014, 08:26:12 pm »

I would take you up on that, but it's an ironman save.  From what I'm reading, they can't be loaded on other computers  :'(
This is why I strongly recommend never playing Ironman ever. Paradox games are in constant development and prone to bugs, such as the game not checking that you don't have troops in the province it decides as the adventurer's "base". Being able to use console commands is essential to actually enjoy a paradox game pretty often.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5574 on: June 14, 2014, 01:31:33 am »

I understood it to be more like a "CK2 tech demo"...essentially a practice run before they shipped CK2 out with deeper and more refined mechanics
^ This.

It's not very fun.
As someone that paid $30 for Sengoku when it came out: Only pick it up if it's really cheap and you're really into the Sengoku period.  Otherwise let it pass.  It really was a CK tech demo: The developers pretty much admitted to it on the forums.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5575 on: June 14, 2014, 02:37:06 am »

Ok every one I'm playing a game as the Byzantines and I'm trying to reform Rome. I all ready repaired the schism by exterminating those pesky Orthodox Christian, now how do I invade the papacy? It's a little difficult as a Catholic to do that.

Anti-Pope and press his claim.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5576 on: June 14, 2014, 06:13:54 am »

I wish adventurers were a bit more complex and not just 'raise army, press claim'. Stuff like 'your useless nephew has married the princess of a faraway land', 'your third son has gotten into a duel while passing through a foreign court', or 'your cousin gains great fame in distant land, prestige get'. And the other way around of 'your daughter has been seduced by a shifty foreign prince and plans to elope!' and such. More personal and unusual events; them having actual 'adventures', in a way. There are examples of real-world 'adventurers' doing all kinds of unbelievable and crazy stunts.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5577 on: June 14, 2014, 07:07:14 am »

I would love a really deep and complex mod adding dragons to CK2. Nothing else, just dragons. Sort of like the "Dragons of her majesty" series, although those books are set in late EU4 time period rather than CK2.
They could have lairs, aka titular titles bound to a county, and raid and pillage stuff to hoard money, so adventurers could have SOMETHING to do rather than raise absurd amount of levies to overtake kingdoms.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5578 on: June 14, 2014, 07:31:03 am »

I wish adventurers were a bit more complex and not just 'raise army, press claim'. Stuff like 'your useless nephew has married the princess of a faraway land', 'your third son has gotten into a duel while passing through a foreign court', or 'your cousin gains great fame in distant land, prestige get'. And the other way around of 'your daughter has been seduced by a shifty foreign prince and plans to elope!' and such. More personal and unusual events; them having actual 'adventures', in a way. There are examples of real-world 'adventurers' doing all kinds of unbelievable and crazy stunts.

"Adventurer saves life of HREmperor, gets gifted 30 000 troups and ally in war and invades" ;)

But yeah, I agree. I think non-active courtiers could have something mire to do than die out in general. As it is now, in the 1066 start, there's dozens of dozens of non-ruling dynasties everywhere. I feel it's a bit of a waste that these just die out within a generation (or two, if they're lucky).
Love, scriver~

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5579 on: June 14, 2014, 09:28:17 am »

This is why I strongly recommend never playing Ironman ever. Paradox games are in constant development and prone to bugs, such as the game not checking that you don't have troops in the province it decides as the adventurer's "base". Being able to use console commands is essential to actually enjoy a paradox game pretty often.
My problem with that advice is that console commands are the slipperiest of slippery slopes, and it takes about five seconds for me to go from "I'll just use the kill command on BS adventurer and be done with this" to "EVERYONE PHEAR MAH NINE BILLION ELEPHANTS!"

Basically without Ironman I'm too much of a cheaty bastard to actually play the game and learn from the mistakes that are actually mine.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 1002