Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2094256 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #5520 on: June 11, 2014, 02:28:44 am »

Okay, what would be the best way to down an Abbasid Empire. It's just so big it'll take forever to grab enough lands to usurp the title. My current strategy is to focus on Muslims holy site to destabilize the thing.

Chip away at it. The holy site idea is good; capture lands in Arabia and Egypt if you can, possibly consider splitting the empire in two by going for Mesopotamia or something. It depends on how big the empire is.

The thing is, it's still massive (~500 holdings), and it's going to take forever with Holy Wars.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5521 on: June 11, 2014, 02:59:23 am »

Once again... just assassinate the leader.

You can conquer all the revolting provinces with a separate war for each rebel from the inevitable succession crisis, as well as declare war on the main body. Then kill the leader again when you're done and repeat.

It really shouldn't take longer than 80 years to wipe it off the map.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5522 on: June 11, 2014, 04:48:27 am »

Elder Kings mod is hilarious. I started as a king of Alinor that I ruler designed to hell and back with 50 INT and Master Mage education, converted all the lords of the land to Necromancy Cult with some aid from Daedric Secret Police, became immortal, then over the years Attractive, Strong and Agile as well, making my character so attractive that even when I raided the Wood Elves the ladies had the hots for him when they were imprisoned.

And now, to boot, he wishes to become a warlord, so CBs errywhere!
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5523 on: June 11, 2014, 05:41:48 am »

Okay, my last save are corrupted or something, when I load them they just have a blank map. But it's weird, because some time a save will work and some time it won't.

Can someone try to load them. Here at the two last.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #5524 on: June 11, 2014, 06:43:26 am »

I thought I was gettings decent at this game but then I tried republics. Another republic conquers me, game over. Restart. Doge immeaditely dies and I can't get elected again with my low prestige and small income, then conquered by italian duke. Restart. As a swedish merchant, conquered by vassal Duke of the king. Restart. King of Croatia and Emperor of Byzantium take my counties. Ragequit.

I don't seem to get to build economy before I lose elections (less money for me) or I am attacked by a larger foe. What would be the easiest time and person to start as if I want to try a republic?
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5525 on: June 11, 2014, 06:47:27 am »

I never had any problem with being a republic. Loosing elections is not a problem, and will happen for a while until you get a family large and rich enough. Just build trade posts. Also, if you start as Venice, a possibility would be to swear fealty to the Byzantine Emperor to have his protection until you feel strong enough to be independent.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5526 on: June 11, 2014, 08:26:26 am »

I never had any problem with being a republic. Loosing elections is not a problem, and will happen for a while until you get a family large and rich enough. Just build trade posts. Also, if you start as Venice, a possibility would be to swear fealty to the Byzantine Emperor to have his protection until you feel strong enough to be independent.
You are de jure part of ERE.  It's for the best. Plus you don't have to worry about outsiders trying to gobble up your counties as you are under the aegis of the Basileus himself.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5527 on: June 11, 2014, 08:27:44 am »

So, my last session was all kinds of awesome.
I got my republic vassal sorted, courtesy of a county "offered" by the french king. They have built their first trade post now, how cute.
My king of skotland prepared-invasion frisia, which annoyed me for a few years as it prevented me from usurping the ducal title I needed, but he eventually suceeded. Amongst the vassalised christians was a young boy with dark skin. It intrigued me. Turns out his mother was some muslim princess, and his father the king of lotharingia. I didn't think about it too much since my chancellor FINALLY fabricated a claim on the norway holy site, so I embarqued my retinue and personnal levy on a scandinavian vacation. Much looting was had, such victory.
And then, as I was taking a break on Gotland (which belongs to me through the vassalisation of sudreyjar a couple years prior), my son spymaster started flooding my inbox with news of catholics trying to murderize each other. Annoyed, I had them imprisoned and ransomed to fund my parties. Then, after a while I started to wonder where the hell did they come from, I didn't have that much christian count vassals last time I checked.
Turns out that last time I checked, the little brown-skinned prince wasn't the bloody king of lotharingia yet. And now he was, and still my vassal thanks to the king of skotland. And nobody thought that my realm inheriting a whole thor-damned kingdom is important enough to warrant a single letter informing the empress of it. What the Hel.
Shortly after that, my chancellor managed to frabricate another claim, on the last holy site held by christians. One quick war later and I was a Fylkyr. Fylkir. Filkyr. Whatever. The important part was that I could raise crown authority to medium, tanking the malus in opinion with a +33 long reign bonus, and a bunch of christian gold. Now I only have to wait for the (newly-converted) Little Brown Prince to crush his first revolt, and I can switch to elective.

On a side note, my daughter-in-law, the princess of sweden, died giving birth to her second son. The two have a weak claim on that big kingdom, and the first is Quick. Also, the only son of the 60-years-old kind of sweden, died in suspicious circumstances (*feign innocence*). So when the old man kick the bucket, we'll have a jolly succession war.

Rikissa is best empress.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5528 on: June 11, 2014, 09:26:28 am »

I don't seem to get to build economy before I lose elections (less money for me) or I am attacked by a larger foe. What would be the easiest time and person to start as if I want to try a republic?

I like to pick Amalfi, mostly because of their flag. Republics are way, way too easy. I also like to play at the not-Amalfi republic that's right near Rome for hardmode. Genoa/Venica is instant-win for me as they start out so strong anyways. It's kinda hard to lose as a republic when you have 10+ income the first months.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 09:30:39 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5529 on: June 11, 2014, 10:26:42 am »

I like to pick Amalfi, mostly because of their flag. Republics are way, way too easy. I also like to play at the not-Amalfi republic that's right near Rome for hardmode. Genoa/Venica is instant-win for me as they start out so strong anyways. It's kinda hard to lose as a republic when you have 10+ income the first months.

Modding in republics is a nice way to get more challenge with one, pretty much everywhere that's not Italy has 0 trade practice in 867 so you can't make trade posts for the first few decades, and modded republics don't start out with any upgrades in their mansions.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5530 on: June 11, 2014, 10:59:27 am »

In an older Scandinavian Empire game I made the mistake of making Gotland a republic in like 900, and sure enough, without any trade practices tech they weren't able to make trade posts.

I don't know if there's any way to form a republic like that and switch to it in ironman.  In non-ironman you can just load as the grand mayor of course.  In ironman it might be impossible to switch to or from republic status... I'm not sure how the inheritance works.

I'm also having a Casus Belli issue (too used to playing pagans).  I'm currently the catholic Grand Mayor of Gotland, vassal of Sweden, medium crown authority in 1089.  To the SE are Romuvas, and the NE are Suomenuskos, and there are even some Norse counties left to the north, but I can't holy war any of them.  Says I don't have a valid casus belli...

I'm also pretty sure I was unable to City Conquest any fellow Swedish vassals even *before* medium crown authority was instated.  The interface says I have a casus belli against the mayor, but not the counts or dukes. 

Not a big deal since I'm trying to play nice anyway, but it's weird that I can't holy war these pagans.  When I get a chance I'll try putting a trade port in a nearby non-Swedish Suomenusko county and see if I can City Conquest it then.  (A lot of the Swedish coastal counties didn't have any cities, but the problem occured on Oland which does.)

As for my pagan trade republic goal, it's going better than expected.  Half my children are growing up Norse thanks to Pegn the Liberator.  Too bad my oldest son got himself killed in the Varangian guard when he should have been educating his siblings :/  I should have refused to let him go.  Lets just hope my liege doesn't exercise his medium crown authority right to revoke pagan titles... If that even works at all on merchant republics.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 11:02:25 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5531 on: June 11, 2014, 11:04:05 am »

No, if your heir is a patrician, it's game over. Anyone tried my saves?

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5532 on: June 11, 2014, 02:18:51 pm »

How's Sengoku gameplay wise?
I tend to hear "A more combat centric CK2". How's the combat system?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5533 on: June 11, 2014, 02:28:09 pm »

I understood it to be more like a "CK2 tech demo"...essentially a practice run before they shipped CK2 out with deeper and more refined mechanics

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5534 on: June 11, 2014, 02:44:22 pm »

Elder Kings mod is hilarious. I started as a king of Alinor that I ruler designed to hell and back with 50 INT and Master Mage education, converted all the lords of the land to Necromancy Cult with some aid from Daedric Secret Police, became immortal, then over the years Attractive, Strong and Agile as well, making my character so attractive that even when I raided the Wood Elves the ladies had the hots for him when they were imprisoned.

And now, to boot, he wishes to become a warlord, so CBs errywhere!
Well duh. Starting as King of Alinor is like starting a vanilla game as an Emperor or King of France. You have to try not to win in order to have a challenge. Only thing more OP is to start as the King of

Now starting as a Breton petty king, or an Argonian count...*that* can be fun.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 1002