Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 364 365 [366] 367 368 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2094300 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #5475 on: June 10, 2014, 03:40:26 am »

I don't like having to deal with a succession crisis every time a series of old biddies die. I'd rather deal with one or two extremely major succession disasters every 300 years rather than the neverending consolidation of power that dying old men go through (only to end up with that one young guy anyway). I kinda enjoy the major succession disasters too, as they're kinda fun to fight. What with you fighting the entire universe.

Also I get way more control over my stats. I always have a ridiculously awesome long reign bonus. I get to choose my successors to some degree like Kamin says. All my emperors and characters always rule for at least 30 years. Generally it's around 50 years. That's how you get shit done.

It's completely implausible in real life as in real life children aren't possessed by the body-jumping immortal souls of their fathers, and capable of rational thought and judgement. They also can't actually raise giant armies and manage globe-spanning empires. But in this game where children are identical to adults, it's the best.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5476 on: June 10, 2014, 04:50:37 am »

Having no vassals over count is ridiculously useful.

To provide a small example of why: let's say you tax your nobles by 10% (to pick an arbitrary number).  You have 4 counts and you gain 10% of their income.  Now you put a duke over them.  He gets 10% of their income, while you get 10% of his income.  That's 1% of the income your counts receive!
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5477 on: June 10, 2014, 04:56:09 am »

It's even worse sometime. Let's say you have a King vassal that decided to implement "no feudal taxations". You only get money from his personal holding, none from all his vassals!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5478 on: June 10, 2014, 04:57:14 am »

To provide a small example of why: let's say you tax your nobles by 10% (to pick an arbitrary number).  You have 4 counts and you gain 10% of their income.  Now you put a duke over them.  He gets 10% of their income, while you get 10% of his income.  That's 1% of the income your counts receive!
Actually dukes have their own tax laws, which us 0% for nobles most of the time.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5479 on: June 10, 2014, 06:12:39 am »

Also presumably you could tax them so hard they survive on their own blood and they can't do shit because they're just a fuckin county.

Anyway, anybody know if eugenics in CK2 works beyond the strong/fair/genius level?
Specifically I want to know if parents with very high base stats (Like for example, ruler designed ones mwahahaha) produce children with higher base stats?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5480 on: June 10, 2014, 06:20:36 am »

The big problems from having no dukes/king vassals arise when you play pagans. I have a pair of count who conquered stuff themselves, vassalized their neighbour, and ended up as powerful dukes. Like, 5-6 counties dukes. One would've invaded frisia and became a KING if he didn't have a bad roll and was imprisonned after a battle, ending the war instantly.
Soon after I made some people king and hope that they rectify this mess with de jure claims. They're currently busy subjugating the last independent parts of scotland though.

On the other hand, money isn't a problem when you can raid the neighbours with 9000-men retinues and steal all their monies.

Speaking of raids, the papacy was restored after I conquered rome on a whim. I think I'll do it again and try to get the pope vassalized by an emperor, in the hopes he'll enter the council, be sent in my capital to try and convert me, so I can get the event, throw him in prison and the sacrifice him to the gods for the achievement.
Seems ridiculously convoluted but that's about as much control I can get on the pursuit of the "Holy Smoke" achievement.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5481 on: June 10, 2014, 06:36:43 am »

Can't you just repeatedly raid the Papacy until you capture him in a siege/battle?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5482 on: June 10, 2014, 06:57:59 am »

You can't capture a title holder by sieging his/her land. Only courtiers/wifes/husbands/heirs.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Full Sig

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #5483 on: June 10, 2014, 07:07:30 am »

Anyway, anybody know if eugenics in CK2 works beyond the strong/fair/genius level?
Specifically I want to know if parents with very high base stats (Like for example, ruler designed ones mwahahaha) produce children with higher base stats?
All heart-shaped traits are hereditary. That's strong, attractive, genius but also stuff like harelipped, dwarf, stutter, hunchback and so on.
Base stats have no influence. Aside from congenital traits, all children are born with 0 stats and get everything through education.

I'm not sure whether health and/or fertility get inherited.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5484 on: June 10, 2014, 08:53:52 am »

On exporting: If through Sunset Invasion or Ruler Designer you had a game where the Aztec religion dominated, would that end up in the the special SI tech group or the western tech group.

For that matter, what happens country-wise if that occurs? Do the "European" Aztecs and the normal Aztecs in Mexico combine or do they become separate countries in EU4?
Yes, the conquered territory becomes part of the Aztec Empire back in Mexico. And *all* North and South American countries have "High American" tech group, which is functionally equivalent to Western.

The Incas have a large empire in South America, the Aztecs in South America, and North America is divided among a dozen or so tribes (though with proper governments rather than tribal ones -- mostly despotic kingdoms, though the Cherokee are a theocracy and one or two others are merchant republics). I've got a converted game up to 1740 and California is an Inca colony while Norway rebelled from the Aztecs and then colonized Vinland. I control a vast Mongol Empire but yet the Inca are beating me in score.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5485 on: June 10, 2014, 08:56:47 am »

Really? Well, waiting for a high-martial pope to show up, then declaring war on him and battling his troops until you capture him would work too I guess.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5486 on: June 10, 2014, 09:01:22 am »

I find dukes to be so much better than counts :
1) They give exactly the same as duke. You'll get the same levies and same tax regardless of how many people there is in between you and the holding owner. Same if you're an emperor with kings vassals, but kings are more dangerous.
2) Tech spread
3) They have less troops than counts : 4 counts rebelling against you will have much more troops than 1 duke with 3 vassals. Hell, even more than a 2 county duke with 3 vassals. Since it's the same to please a few counts or a duke (probably even cheaper)

There was a time where having counts was better, but it's no longer the case. Also, if you're muslim or byz, no reason not.

Also, your relatives aren't distant enough if they have weak claims. Breeding your dynasty is awesome because it gives you +10 opinion (which is always something), you will never lose with plenty of dynasty members landed, and they will all contribute much more to your family prestige (an empire with only your dynasty will skyrocket your family prestige, meaning you can be born (?) with plenty of prestige.
I generally use 4th sons or daughters (matrineally married to a courtier) to spawn dynasty members. Since they don't have any claims, there won't be weak claim or whatever (only the heir and the 2 pretenders get claim on a title).

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5487 on: June 10, 2014, 09:08:47 am »

Plus after a century of active breeding, you have some many family members you can easily find soe without a claim.

I'm 100% certain the "you get the same tax and levy no matter the number of rung" is false though. At least for taxes.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5488 on: June 10, 2014, 09:27:48 am »

Quick question: I married my son to the swede princess for the strong claim, do I have to land her before pressing her claim to have her stay my vassal? I'm emperor level so I can have king vassals.
Sweden controls two norse holy sites and I have another, that would allow me to reform.
Full Sig

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5489 on: June 10, 2014, 09:32:14 am »

When you press a claim, the claimant will be independent unless:
-He/She is your vassal
-You're de Jure Liege of the title you're claiming
-The claimant is of your dinasty.

Pages: 1 ... 364 365 [366] 367 368 ... 1002