Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 [338] 339 340 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2091210 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #5055 on: February 24, 2014, 09:37:48 am »

If it doesn't disinherit him, try making your son a Doge by giving him a duchy with a harbour. Then when you die, you should begin being a merchant republic?

I tested it out, and it looks like you can't grant your son titles once you give him a city.
The easiest way to do this is to just land your heir as a patrician, save and reload as him/her.

I don't think you can transition in-game without getting a game over.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5056 on: February 24, 2014, 02:39:18 pm »

He didn't say "highest primary title" he said "castle holding".

Bleh. I'm dumb. Unfortunately, you can't give away all your castle holdings either- you must retain at least one.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5057 on: February 24, 2014, 05:59:48 pm »

If it doesn't disinherit him, try making your son a Doge by giving him a duchy with a harbour. Then when you die, you should begin being a merchant republic?

I tested it out, and it looks like you can't grant your son titles once you give him a city.
The easiest way to do this is to just land your heir as a patrician, save and reload as him/her.

That used to be how to do it, but IIRC paradox patched it so that you couldn't make your first heir a patrician, just a mayor. Similar to how you can't give your heir a bishopric.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #5058 on: February 24, 2014, 06:03:33 pm »

Re The King Vassal Issue :  Not good, unless you really want the extra prestige / the king to take lands for you. If the King rebels you can find yourself in deep trouble.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5059 on: February 24, 2014, 06:08:29 pm »

Re The King Vassal Issue :  Not good, unless you really want the extra prestige / the king to take lands for you. If the King rebels you can find yourself in deep trouble.

It does have a few advantages, though. For one, when you get levies from them they all show up as a single group. This can be VERY convenient if said King is on your side during a civil war, as those levies are split up all over the place and prone to getting squashed by larger rebel armies before they can coalesce.

Obviously, the reverse is also true, but I find that rebels tend to have an easier time grouping up and fighting at high morale than my troops do, so it isn't as much of an issue in practice.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5060 on: February 24, 2014, 06:15:36 pm »

That used to be how to do it, but IIRC paradox patched it so that you couldn't make your first heir a patrician, just a mayor. Similar to how you can't give your heir a bishopric.
Can you still give it to, say, your second son? You can then play as him and just assassinate anyone in the way of succession.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

somebody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5061 on: February 24, 2014, 11:20:23 pm »

Can you still give it to, say, your second son? You can then play as him and just assassinate anyone in the way of succession.
Unless he has a higher title then you, he will automatically turn into a kingdom.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5062 on: February 26, 2014, 02:16:17 pm »

My ironman Zemgale playthrough is going okay.  I managed to form the Kingdom of Lithuania (and get all its de jure counties save one, which is next on my list), although I've gone a little bit North Korea and I'm holding a desmesne of 11 out of a maximum of 6.  ::)  I've got eight(!) children, four of whom are male.  Gavelkind succession is going to be a bitch.  I'm trying to arrange it so that my heir is due to inherit two duchy titles and all the counties under them (ideally), but it's proving tricky to do, as the game won't let me simply give him those by choice.  Obviously this is to stop me gaming the system.

However, it does apparently still allow him to demand territory that he desires.  I managed to give him one of the duchy titles that way, after granting him one of the counties within it.

Still, dividing up the territory is going to be painful, particularly with the short reign modifier after my first king dies.  I'm holding four of the five Romuva holy sites, so I'm tempted to make a push for the fifth and reformation before I die, hoping that I'll have enough swing to change the succession law immediately upon reforming (to primogeniture, I guess).  It'll be tricky, though - the fifth site is a fair distance away, I have no casus belli, and the ruler has multiple allies.  Hrm.  :-\
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5063 on: February 26, 2014, 02:18:33 pm »

You know that you only need to hold 3 of the sites, right?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5064 on: February 26, 2014, 02:35:05 pm »

Your succession crisis is going to be very fun.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5065 on: February 26, 2014, 02:53:31 pm »

Yes, but having 5 allows for 50% religion. Since Romuva are fairly small and he's king of Lithuania, there probably isn't any other Romuva that can give some points. So, to reach 50, either he needs lots of conquest (1% per conquest is tiresome), or 5 holy sites.

Also, to have your heir inherit the duchies you want with Gavelkind : just give a duchy title to the other sons. Since you're King, they'll be out of the succession. If you have 4 duchies titles, you can give 3 away, and the heir will inherit everything that is not under the titles given away. Careful though, since if you get more duchies after that, or one of them die, it can be a mess.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5066 on: February 26, 2014, 03:16:55 pm »

Yes, but having 5 allows for 50% religion. Since Romuva are fairly small and he's king of Lithuania, there probably isn't any other Romuva that can give some points. So, to reach 50, either he needs lots of conquest (1% per conquest is tiresome), or 5 holy sites.

Exactly this.  I theoretically can reform with three sites, but the Romuvan faith ain't doing so healthy right now.  Getting all five sites is, pragmatically, the only way I'm going to hit the 50% moral authority I need to actually trigger the reformation.

Also, to have your heir inherit the duchies you want with Gavelkind : just give a duchy title to the other sons. Since you're King, they'll be out of the succession. If you have 4 duchies titles, you can give 3 away, and the heir will inherit everything that is not under the titles given away. Careful though, since if you get more duchies after that, or one of them die, it can be a mess.

This is my main hope for avoiding the inevitable backbiting after succession.  I'm waiting for my inheriting sons to come of age before granting them titles (so I can keep them in my court and marry them off to someone decent first, rather than letting them pick their own inevitable chaste-inbred-slow-syphilitic matches), but hopefully I can then shove enough duchies at them to keep them away from what will end up being my core lands.  :P

Your succession crisis is going to be very fun.

!!FUN!!  Although hopefully I'll avoid my heir being burnt at the stake.  :P
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5067 on: February 26, 2014, 08:03:29 pm »

How did I manage to not post in here yet?  Meant to do that months ago.  Posting to watch these silly shenanigans, and possibly add some later.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5068 on: February 26, 2014, 08:55:59 pm »

So I was given an aged gaming rig that can run Crusader Kings 2 pretty well. The problem is that not long after I got the drivers for sound running, the game crashed mid-play. Now it will not run AT ALL if there are sound drivers installed/enabled; it crashes on trying to load audio. I've tried system restore and installing TWO other, different sets of Realtek drivers, but it still crashes. Other games have no issues like that. I have no idea why it's doing it, but between that and every mod crashing on load, I'm getting a little frustrated with it. It's nice to play vanilla at all at an acceptable speed, but it gets pretty annoying to have no sound. :-\
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5069 on: February 26, 2014, 09:28:02 pm »

Go post that on the Paradox technical support boards.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 [338] 339 340 ... 1002