Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 334 335 [336] 337 338 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2091261 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #5025 on: February 17, 2014, 05:56:40 pm »

If you're curious, the most popular way rulers raised large sums of money in short time throughout history was option 1. This was generally during peacetime. During wars they'd just loot their enemies instead of their own people.

The CK2 version is actually a lot tamer than what history was actually like. More often than not Ruler X would simply murder anyone that was rich and take his money to fund wars or public works. Or if they didn't want to kill them, they'd just enslave them.

Everyone from Alexander the Great to Augustus Caesar to Henry VIII to Chairman Mao did it.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5026 on: February 18, 2014, 01:08:37 am »

I really wish custom avatars on the Paradox forums didn't require 35,000 posts. If they didn't, this would SO be my avatar:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For now, I'll just have to be content with my bear holding a halberd.

casserol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5027 on: February 18, 2014, 08:27:54 am »

Interesting enough, I believe I have a free copy of the game via a gaming magazine for anyone to grab...

I'd love it if no one else wants it ?

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5028 on: February 18, 2014, 02:40:18 pm »

Well, my efforts sort of almost paid off - I got enough money together to form the Duchy of Iceland!  Yay!

...except that this didn't happen until shortly after I'd been invaded by a gung-ho Norwegian duke and soundly thrashed.  So I now own two counties, have the money to form Iceland, but can't do so because I'm vassal to a duke now.  D'oh!

So I've pulled out all the stops - I'm plotting to kill my liege (in the hope of causing disruption), I'm a member of the independence faction (along with a couple of other vassals), I'm raiding and saving up as much cash as I can (to pay for Iceland/mercenaries) and I've even tried to invade the (still independent) Faro islands to get a third title (so that at least my heir keeps two)...to no avail, damn amphibious defenses.

My character is now 59 years old and has been ill twice (and recovered twice).  I fear his days are numbered.  :P
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5029 on: February 18, 2014, 05:16:27 pm »

When I was in your position I raced with my Duke liege to conquer Norway.  I had about 8 provinces (with a desmense limit of ~5) by the time he formed the Kingdom of Norway and I could become a Duke.

It served a double purpose: it made me more powerful relative to my liege, and it sped up his quest to become King because my provinces counted towards how many he had in the Kingdom.  A generation later I rebelled after a prepared invasion of... I want to say, Wessex or something?  It was in England.  Anyway I would have had more levies than he did even if no one had joined my independence faction.  Then I used the become king ambition to subjugate my old realm-buddies and become King.

That being said I think I was like 10 years younger than you when I tried this.  But hey you might have 20-30 years left in you, which is plenty of time to guide your liege into becoming King.  Also even if you die, once you take over your eldest son you should be able to wage war on/murder your brothers and reclaim all the lands anyway.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5030 on: February 18, 2014, 08:46:12 pm »

The inheritance chance is easily moddable for individual traits.
And the inheritance chance varies between the traits. Most have a 15% chance of being inherited, with dwarf and inbred having 25% and ugly being 10%. It doesn't say if it is more likely for the trait to be passed on if both parents have it.

Found in /commons/crusader kings 2/common/traits/00_traits.txt

This is fabulous news. Simply up the values to more appropriate values (50% per person?) and then kaboom, Dwarf Fortress.

Would probably be imba if you did that for Quick and Genius though.

Actually, the inheritance chance for dwarfism is roughly 33%, since homozygous dominant kills the fetus.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5031 on: February 19, 2014, 01:41:14 am »

Is there any reason I couldn't/can't nominate my niece/cousin? She's a genius, and would probably be the best ruler the empire has yet seen if only I could put her on the throne. That 35 diplomacy looks really juicy.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5032 on: February 19, 2014, 02:28:48 am »

Is there any reason I couldn't/can't nominate my niece/cousin? She's a genius, and would probably be the best ruler the empire has yet seen if only I could put her on the throne. That 35 diplomacy looks really juicy.
I'm going to assume from context that you have elective succession.  To be nominated someone has to either hold an elector title, or be one of the current ruler's legitimate children.

So you'll have to give her an elector title to nominate her.  If you don't want to revoke a title you could just give her one of your own; provided she wins the election, you'll get it back once she inherits.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5033 on: February 19, 2014, 08:05:33 am »

Ofc, unless you're on cognatic you can't land females, so you might be just SOL anyway. Though you could land and nominate her father than nominate her when he succeeds.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5034 on: February 19, 2014, 08:59:15 am »

Plus there's no guarantee you will be actually playing AS her when she inherits. I think.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5035 on: February 19, 2014, 11:52:28 am »

Nope, if she wins the election, he will play as her. In elective you always play as your dynasty member who is winning the most in the election.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5036 on: February 19, 2014, 12:51:26 pm »

The game also tells you who is gonna be your heir.

Anybody got advice for playing this game on linux?  Everything was weird and black and there's no launcher to select mods.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5037 on: February 19, 2014, 12:56:23 pm »

Since when do Linux users play games coded by someone other than themselves?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5038 on: February 19, 2014, 01:31:29 pm »

I'm not a primary linux user, I just dont have a copy of windows at the moment.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5039 on: February 19, 2014, 07:03:58 pm »

You can use a command line option to select mods. You'll probably want to trawl the paradox forums for a solution to the "weird and black" problem.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: 1 ... 334 335 [336] 337 338 ... 1002