Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2091255 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #4995 on: February 15, 2014, 10:19:14 pm »

Why the hell would anyone be capable of gathering enough mercenaries to rival an entire empire's army that don't want to be paid?
Are they not paid? If not, why do host leaders have all that gold?
IC they are doing it for the chance of loot (which in terms of gameplay still goes to you) and the promise of getting paid after their pretender is on the throne (and has access to funds/titles) ((which in terms of gameplay isn't happening, I think... although that could be what the gold is for))
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4996 on: February 15, 2014, 10:21:01 pm »

Why the hell would anyone be capable of gathering enough mercenaries to rival an entire empire's army that don't want to be paid?
Are they not paid? If not, why do host leaders have all that gold?
IC they are doing it for the chance of loot (which in terms of gameplay still goes to you) and the promise of getting paid after their pretender is on the throne (and has access to funds/titles) ((which in terms of gameplay isn't happening, I think... although that could be what the gold is for))
The events troops are not paid. Never ever. And the gold just sits there, since adventurers are too dumb to buy mercs (which could give them victory for once !).

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4997 on: February 15, 2014, 10:34:14 pm »

The events troops are not paid. Never ever. And the gold just sits there, since adventurers are too dumb to buy mercs (which could give them victory for once !).
Well there you go- more modding opportunities. Hosts can be made really fun (perhaps some political fun can be had too, with support from neighboring rulers/dynasty memebers replacing magical gold?)
I wonder if there's an actual reason while people aren't doing this... (like, maybe, hosts can't have AIs distinct from rebel ones)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #4998 on: February 15, 2014, 10:36:10 pm »

Adventurers attacking you if you NK is a good idea methinks. Also perhaps have an event where a massive rebel army with scaling troop size spawns off the cuff.

As for adventurers in general, I'd like to see it tied to the court the character came from and their skills. A well - liked character could marshal quite a lot of troops, but a disliked one wouldn't be able. Also, I don't think they should scale as hard. It just seems arbitrary.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4999 on: February 16, 2014, 03:17:50 am »

How viable do you guys think it would be to make the majority of the world's population dwarves?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5000 on: February 16, 2014, 03:19:52 am »

If everyone is a dwarf, then there would be no penalty to being a dwarf. In fact, I think dwarves look at non-dwarves unfavorably, but don't quote that.

Solution: Make everyone dwarves. And be a Muslim, so decadence becomes insanity-level due to spreading your dwarven seed without culling. Very dwarven, much wow.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5001 on: February 16, 2014, 03:20:02 am »

How viable do you guys think it would be to make the majority of the world's population dwarves?

Incredibly not so, unfortunately. I had a hard time getting just 7 dwarves into my court.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5002 on: February 16, 2014, 03:22:07 am »

Incredibly not so, unfortunately. I had a hard time getting just 7 dwarves into my court.

But do you actively breed them? I find the 'Dwarf' trait carries down quite a lot, pretty much guaranteed if it's in the bloodline of both. Of course that's probably just my luck with the negative traits.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5003 on: February 16, 2014, 04:31:02 am »

I only had a few dwarves, so I had to actively breed them for a few generations to get the numbers to what I wanted. It honestly wasn't that common that a child of a dwarf was actually a dwarf... around 1/3 kids were when I did the experiment.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5004 on: February 16, 2014, 04:44:46 am »

I think someone mentioned that inheriting a trait was 20% per parent (or was it 25%?), regardless of which (inheritable) trait it is. That would make it about a 36% chance that a child of 2 dwarfs is a dwarf. You can mod this value, but apparently not modify it for different traits. :-\

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5005 on: February 16, 2014, 08:55:04 am »

The only vassals that can convert are counts and above. He currently only has baron-tier vassals.

Are you sure? I know that when I was a patrician with only barony-level title I could convert.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Tjoh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5006 on: February 16, 2014, 09:50:43 am »

The inheritance chance is easily moddable for individual traits.
And the inheritance chance varies between the traits. Most have a 15% chance of being inherited, with dwarf and inbred having 25% and ugly being 10%. It doesn't say if it is more likely for the trait to be passed on if both parents have it.

Found in /commons/crusader kings 2/common/traits/00_traits.txt

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5007 on: February 16, 2014, 10:26:03 am »

The only vassals that can convert are counts and above. He currently only has baron-tier vassals.

Are you sure? I know that when I was a patrician with only barony-level title I could convert.
I don't think patricians were considered when umiman made that statement (or ever, really  :P ).  Mechanically, patricians are more like baron+, because they get a full court, can establish trade posts, can use those trade posts to seize other baron-tier titles (cities), and most importantly use specific baron-tier titles (again, cities) for grab county-tier titles.

So yeah, I wouldn't consider patricians as baron-tier, even if they only have the family home (which, unlike true barons, they can never lose their family home as long as the republic and their family stands, and thus can never lose patrician status purely because their lord wants an extra 20 gold a year and 600 troops).

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5008 on: February 16, 2014, 02:59:52 pm »

I switched over to feudalism and I can say now that yes, counts and above are the only ones who can convert provinces.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5009 on: February 16, 2014, 03:16:26 pm »

You need a council to convert provinces. Barons don't have councils.
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 1002