Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2091371 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #4965 on: February 14, 2014, 03:15:45 am »

North Korean mode.

Is this a thing that people do often?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4966 on: February 14, 2014, 07:10:00 am »

North Korean mode.

Is this a thing that people do often?

I'm not sure if I would say often but people do it. Right now it is a pretty damn broken tactic, so anyone who just wants to stomp for awhile can abuse it.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4967 on: February 14, 2014, 08:15:57 am »

NK mode is the optimal way of playing, so plenty of people do it yes.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4968 on: February 14, 2014, 08:33:33 am »

One final bit of advice when looking for people to give land to:
You can give land to people in the courts of vassal counts and up (barons don't have courts).  Those given land promptly leave with no further ties to their former hosts.

So you can just give out land to all the nobles you have, wait one day, optionally save and reload (sometimes it gives courtiers to small courts, like those you've just generated by creating new counts and up), then just assign more land to the new courtiers in your vassals' courts.

Overall, make sure that after you finish, those with the ambitious/evious/conflicting traits end up vassals to somebody else.  Also make sure anyone not of your culture/religion is also vassal to somebody else.  And for any titles you give out but want back, give them to celibate characters.

ShoesandHats, what kind of feudalism will you be re-establishing?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4969 on: February 14, 2014, 12:34:03 pm »

My current game is going well. Started out using the Old Gods start as Halfdan Whiteshirt's army (But with a custom Brythonic druidic(mod) religion character). I have, since then, moved on to conquer all of the British Isles but with the Kingdom of Wales as my first kingdom, so it's Prydain and not Brittanica. It was kind of amusing seeing Wales as this giant red blob covering most of GB before I made the Empire title.

I have also conquered all of Brittany, Normandy, and some of bits of Flanders and France. The Brythonic religion has been reformed into the Druidic religion, so I'm now on even footing with the christians and the land is rapidly converting over.

I have two major allies on the Continent, Hungary and Rus, based on a very early matrilinial marriage to a Hungarian Prince who them became king. Hungary got huge and at one point owned most of eastern Europe. Eventually that broke apart, but not until a fair number of kinsmen of mine got set up. I periodically help them out to keep the power base of my Dynasty up out there.

Question it, what do I do now? It's ~1000 AD and my main goals have been met. All of the Breton lands are under my control and returning to the Druidic faith.

Anyone have any fun ideas?

My current plan is to start taking over large chunks of Europe, starting with France, and then setting them free as independent Kingdoms led by distant relatives who don't have a claim on my throne. That'll give me some buffer room against the Christians if they decide to start crusading against the Druids and will get more people spreading the faith without me having to do all the work. But I don't know if there is anything else really interesting I could try.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4970 on: February 14, 2014, 12:41:59 pm »

One final bit of advice when looking for people to give land to:
You can give land to people in the courts of vassal counts and up (barons don't have courts).  Those given land promptly leave with no further ties to their former hosts.

So you can just give out land to all the nobles you have, wait one day, optionally save and reload (sometimes it gives courtiers to small courts, like those you've just generated by creating new counts and up), then just assign more land to the new courtiers in your vassals' courts.

Overall, make sure that after you finish, those with the ambitious/evious/conflicting traits end up vassals to somebody else.  Also make sure anyone not of your culture/religion is also vassal to somebody else.  And for any titles you give out but want back, give them to celibate characters.

ShoesandHats, what kind of feudalism will you be re-establishing?

If you really want to minimilize chances of revolts, give everyone one province each, including dukes. Also give dukes a province that isn't in their duchy, and claim two full duchies for yourself, with no territories in other duchies, and noone else in your duchies.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4971 on: February 14, 2014, 12:43:17 pm »

Or don't make any duke.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4972 on: February 14, 2014, 01:09:25 pm »

I like playing CK2 as a game instead of rigging the system like that.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4973 on: February 14, 2014, 01:14:44 pm »

Plus, I'm pretty sure completely eradicating the concept of nobles in the timeframe of the game would have more consequences then just your vassals despising you.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #4974 on: February 14, 2014, 01:25:11 pm »

I usually never get powerful enough to do that...

Also, I wonder why this hasn't been posted here yet:

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4975 on: February 14, 2014, 01:26:50 pm »

You can try to split them up, but with a large enough empire, I guarantee the various lords will unify their powers eventually. Even if you don't want to make any duchies, the counts themselves can create them if they're powerful enough... and they will.

In fact, it's even scarier if you let them do it organically, as it means they had more time to build up a strong powerbase without you noticing. When you realize your count of Nowhereizisztan has 8 demenses and is going to inherit another 8 more, you're going to go... "oh shit...".

However, other vassals will try to undermine each other too, so generally you can get early warning from one of your brown nosing vassals that tells you to take land from a guy that has too much. Or you might get super powerful dukes in a 100 year war with another duke, so they have no time to rebel against you. Or they could invade other countries in your name, that's always fun as you get all the benefits.

But regardless, the only way to be 100% safe from revolts is to have no vassals at all other than the powerless barons. That's of course, the extremely boring way to play, but it's the safest.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4976 on: February 14, 2014, 01:42:05 pm »

That's pretty good, Cthulufaic!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #4977 on: February 14, 2014, 01:57:23 pm »

That's pretty good, Cthulufaic!
You talkin to me boy?  The devs posted it on the forums, I just posted it here :P

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4978 on: February 14, 2014, 02:41:32 pm »

I bet the option to deal with it yourself has a 30% chance of ending up with the maimed trait.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4979 on: February 14, 2014, 03:00:05 pm »

And the giving it a good tumble option, 60%.
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 1002