Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2091579 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #4815 on: January 15, 2014, 08:37:03 pm »

How can I minimize the fallout from one of my characters dying?
-Don't be an unreformed pagan
-Have a high (that tech that increases your demesne size as well) tech level in your capital.
-Have an heir with great diplomacy.

That + everything else you'd normally do to keep vassals happy. The first two are just to decrease the "short reign" penalty btw.

Also make sure to die with a giant pile of gold, both to bribe vassals and buy mercs in case of civil war. Focus on making your most powerful vassals happy by bribing them and using your chancellor. Or just make them not a threat by using your spymaster to discourage factionalism (if you have time, it can take forever) or if you have a reason, just imprison them.

Also, if a faction gets strong you can go park your army on top of the leader of the faction's capital, so they can't get any even troops when civil war hits.
It helps if your child inherited a large territory from his mother previous to inheriting from you.   :P

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4816 on: January 15, 2014, 10:44:22 pm »

How can I minimize the fallout from one of my characters dying?
-Don't be an unreformed pagan
-Have a high (that tech that increases your demesne size as well) tech level in your capital.
-Have an heir with great diplomacy.

That + everything else you'd normally do to keep vassals happy. The first two are just to decrease the "short reign" penalty btw.

Also make sure to die with a giant pile of gold, both to bribe vassals and buy mercs in case of civil war. Focus on making your most powerful vassals happy by bribing them and using your chancellor. Or just make them not a threat by using your spymaster to discourage factionalism (if you have time, it can take forever) or if you have a reason, just imprison them.

Also, if a faction gets strong you can go park your army on top of the leader of the faction's capital, so they can't get any even troops when civil war hits.
It helps if your child inherited a large territory from his mother previous to inheriting from you.   :P
For the holdings, and also for the prestige that they gained prior to your death.  Enough prestige can really help with feudal vassals.  Another reason that I like to give land to my family members, particularly children.  Though granting land to future pretenders is terrible for stability.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4817 on: January 15, 2014, 11:15:04 pm »

Could someone have a link to Lux Invicta?
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4818 on: January 16, 2014, 01:11:38 am »

I started a new County level character to see if I can get me some steam achievements. First thing I do is go on a hunting trip. I meet a bear and elect to slay it myself. It maims me and I die after the wounds become infected and get a game over before the first year. Fun times. Perhaps I won't invade Bearlandia quite so quickly next time.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4820 on: January 16, 2014, 05:58:38 am »

I started a new County level character to see if I can get me some steam achievements. First thing I do is go on a hunting trip. I meet a bear and elect to slay it myself. It maims me and I die after the wounds become infected and get a game over before the first year. Fun times. Perhaps I won't invade Bearlandia quite so quickly next time.
I tried to do the count to other tiers on one character recently as well, got the duke and emperor done but the count to king game ended abruptly due to a rebel doomstack. : /

Started out as the count of Naumadal (Norway) who has two counties so there's enough troops to actually invade someone right off the bat before the big bad guy in Norway beat me. I immedietely set sail for Ireland and managed to grab a new county there just as I lost the ones in Norway. Managed to work my way up to five counties and while three of them was recently conquered life was good. Would probably grab the rest in just a few years more when suddenly...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Feels a little unfair to get instant rebels with over three times the total armies of entire Ireland and certainly well-equipped as well.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4821 on: January 16, 2014, 06:05:42 am »

I tried to do the count to other tiers on one character recently as well, got the duke and emperor done but the count to king game ended abruptly due to a rebel doomstack. : /

Started out as the count of Naumadal (Norway) who has two counties so there's enough troops to actually invade someone right off the bat before the big bad guy in Norway beat me. I immedietely set sail for Ireland and managed to grab a new county there just as I lost the ones in Norway. Managed to work my way up to five counties and while three of them was recently conquered life was good. Would probably grab the rest in just a few years more when suddenly...
Feels a little unfair to get instant rebels with over three times the total armies of entire Ireland and certainly well-equipped as well. Needless to say, this was game over.  :(

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4822 on: January 16, 2014, 07:51:00 am »

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?612823-MOD-Lux-Invicta
For some reason it says I don't have access... I have my account linked and all that.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4823 on: January 16, 2014, 10:57:24 am »

For some reason it says I don't have access... I have my account linked and all that.
Are you logged in? I know it's a somewhat silly question, but I had something like this happen to me.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4824 on: January 16, 2014, 02:27:40 pm »

Are you logged in? I know it's a somewhat silly question, but I had something like this happen to me.
Yeah I am logged on

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4825 on: January 16, 2014, 02:30:16 pm »

Feels a little unfair to get instant rebels with over three times the total armies of entire Ireland and certainly well-equipped as well. Needless to say, this was game over.  :(

That is the normal 'x rebellion' stack size. Heresies, religious rebels, nationalist rebels all get that same event stack. Pretty OP but hey, that's what happens. I dealt with plenty of those along my Celtic games especially. They become easy money once you can regularly suppress them.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4826 on: January 16, 2014, 10:55:22 pm »

Damn Hungary, I nearly lost my ironman Georgia game when the high priest of Reformed Tengri declared an holy war on me. The Byzantine accepted to join me but they were dealing with a small civil war and I was left alone to fight. With the help of mercenaries I was able to defeat the original attack. Has the war dragged on, I had to cut some mercs to avoid being bankrupt and then a second attack came and destroyed my army. So I was reduced to watch my country being overrun by Tengrists while the Empire was still too busy to come to my help. Thet eventually put down the rebellion and came to my help, but a smaller rebellion happen and they Georgia before coming back again just in time to save the day for real.

Hungary is so scary actually that I decided to become a vassal of the Empire, which started to convert to catholicism during the holy war for some reasons...

Also, I've named one family member Stalin just for fun and at 37 years he turns out to be scarred, homosexual, celibate, envious, arbitrary, proud, sociable, cruel, avaricious, gluttonous, paranoid, possessed, depressed and he is the Voice of Satan... So probably as much a good guy than his namesake.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4827 on: January 17, 2014, 06:22:37 am »

That is the normal 'x rebellion' stack size. Heresies, religious rebels, nationalist rebels all get that same event stack. Pretty OP but hey, that's what happens. I dealt with plenty of those along my Celtic games especially. They become easy money once you can regularly suppress them.
Yeah, I had finally gotten boats again from tech and conquering the Norse province in Ireland so a few more years and I would have the money to recruit mercenaries to beat them up. But it kind o seems like they should base it on something along the lines of what's available in Ireland (in this case) maybe current tax to avoid crazy-large stacks and levies to decide unit types to avoid things like those 360 knights. I guess you can avoid them by keeping away from wrong culture/religion provinces.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4828 on: January 17, 2014, 06:40:02 am »

Am I missing something regarding life expectancy? Both times I have tried playing this game, everyone in my family dies young or is in a bad position to rule. I always get up to a point where I own multiple kingdoms and everyone likes me, and then I get 2-3 deaths within a few decades and then everyone makes factions at once (these are people who still have claims that my guy's grandfather took from them, that's how fast I am dying in comparison).

These aren't assassinations either. It's getting sick, or from a wound during a battle my king sneaked into...... 3 times.... Yep, 3 times he made his way into some small levy, and 3 times he got wounded in the 3 battles he fought in. Same guy. Survived the first 2, died on the third.

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4829 on: January 17, 2014, 07:42:06 am »

There's an hidden health stat that characters inherit from their parents. One of your king might inherit a low one and pass it up to his heirs. Also if you don't want your king on the battlefield always check who leads the levies before putting them together.
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 1002