Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2091698 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #4725 on: January 01, 2014, 03:05:48 pm »

I was really freaked out when I saw that. I don't even want to know how that worked. The Duchy of Anatolia is independent, but the horribly tortured Duke's daughter is married to the Duke of Trebizond, which is a vassal of Byzantium.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4726 on: January 01, 2014, 03:21:13 pm »

It's generally a punishment used for traitors and rebels in the Byzantine empire. Castration is another.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4727 on: January 01, 2014, 03:31:38 pm »

But if they could capture him, why did they allow him to become independent?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4728 on: January 01, 2014, 03:40:22 pm »

Maybe he became independent post-blinding?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4729 on: January 01, 2014, 03:43:02 pm »

I just checked through history by looking at my old savegames. I managed to pinpoint a time when he had become independent through warfare, but was actually captured during the rebellion by the Byzantines who knew they couldn't defeat him in battle. They castrated and blinded him, meaning he had no choice but to marry off his daughter to some Byzantine Duke.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4730 on: January 02, 2014, 02:10:18 pm »

I apologise for double posting like this in a bid to bump, but I really need to ask a question that's been eating at me for a while.

I've found that I can make infinite merchant republic/theocracy vassals by granting Duke-level titles to burghers or priests while owning all the counties in the duchy. They don't try to take a county for themselves, they just become Duke (or Rabban or Archbishop and so on). I then give the counties away to courtiers and transfer the vassals over to the Dukes. Through this method I can create as many Merchant Republics/Theocracies as I like without going over the county limit. It tells me I have 6 counties in vassal theocracies but my Archbishops have no counties to their name, just vassals and a few temples/cities. It still doesn't say I am over the limit (which is listed as 1), even though I clearly am, unless Duchies are being half-considered to be counties or something.

It may be of note that in the duchies I was creating, I only owned one of the counties in each. All the rest of the counties belonged to other counts. When I made the Archbishop/Rabban, maybe he didn't try to take my county because it was the last one in the realm and my power/authority supersedes his.

Is this a massive exploit that I should stop doing right now? My head is exploding.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 02:13:21 pm by Owlbread »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4731 on: January 02, 2014, 02:13:20 pm »

Well, I don't really see the problem. They'll probably loose their duchy title to rebellious vassals soon if they don't have counties to provide them with troops.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4732 on: January 02, 2014, 02:15:18 pm »

Well, I don't really see the problem. They'll probably loose their duchy title to rebellious vassals soon if they don't have counties to provide them with troops.

Well, you'd say that... but...

When I was creating my new Theocratic Duchy/Archbishopric I already had one just above it that contained a county under the Rabban's direct control, along with about 4 counties under noble control but in turn were vassals of the Duke. I hadn't had any problems with him for a long time, he kept good order and never had any problems with rebellious vassals. The only issue was when we fell out over my own personal tyranny that he started an independence war against me.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4733 on: January 02, 2014, 02:16:21 pm »

Technically just a Duchy without any counties would be a titular title, if you're granting a duchy to someone with just one church, it should change that holding to the capital of the county. Unless I remember wrong.

In the same vein, you can give Arch-Bisphorics/Super Bisphorics as many in-county holdings as you want because it won't go above the x% of provinces limit.

Of course, I don't make them big as that anymore. Succession laws in theocracies blow, if you make a super-bishop you're basically setting a fuse on a rebellion.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4734 on: January 02, 2014, 02:17:50 pm »

Free investiture?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4735 on: January 02, 2014, 02:21:17 pm »

So this is generally considered acceptable (i.e. not an exploit) because the titles are just titular? The Rabban doesn't hold any counties because I held the last county in the duchy when I created it and he didn't try to take mine.

I've got two Merchant Republic vassals at the moment and I'm about to go to war with one of them to create a third, but I'm wondering whether I shouldn't.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4736 on: January 02, 2014, 02:33:27 pm »

Generally, you want only one merchant republic around you (and preferably your vassal). Having several will make them rival, as well as diminishing the trade effect.

Technically just a Duchy without any counties would be a titular title, if you're granting a duchy to someone with just one church, it should change that holding to the capital of the county. Unless I remember wrong.
I'm pretty sure it doesn't, since you can have dukes without a single county (and only a barony).

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4737 on: January 02, 2014, 02:34:32 pm »

What's the benefit of having a theocratic duchy?  I've only tried it with pagans and for fun/flavor (landing my daughters, dedicating Rome and Jerusalem to Odin...)  The daughters-thing didn't work out because, afaik, the theocracies were inherited by some generated courtier instead of remaining in my dynasty at all.

The trick might be useful for merchant republics though, if you don't have access to those funky one-county duchies which clearly exist for trade republics (Gotland, Venice, Amalfi are the only ones I know of).  In my last game I set up Gotland and the duchy of Finland as trade Repulics.  Gotland made a lot more trading posts, but Finland had more land, and neither were particularly rebellious.  The main downside was that I couldn't keep my dynasty in control of them, but meh.  Finland actually took about 30 years to get the tech for trading posts, which was annoying but ended up not being a big deal.  Except I heard trade posts actually improve the income from counties they're built in?

To be honest I didn't pay attention because I was making money head over fist by raiding with my retinues ;D
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4738 on: January 02, 2014, 02:37:22 pm »

So I should just make one super-republic? I can do that. It means I won't have to go to war then, I know the warfare will come when I try to retract a vassal you see.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4739 on: January 02, 2014, 02:45:39 pm »

You don't need to have a super republic. One republic which owns a county is largely enough already, and if the duchy is bigger, make sure the other counties are held by noble vassals (to weaken the republic). The strength of a republic lies in its trading post and being coastal.
It makes money as well as makes the counties they have trade posts in more rich. It gives you their money, their boats, and makes your regions richer. Having more than one won't bring much more, except trouble (vassals republic can be quite unruly and dangerous due to them having lots of money).
You'd really need to have a big empire to need more than one republic (say, from the baltic to ireland)
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 1002