Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2092176 times)

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #4575 on: December 13, 2013, 12:48:00 pm »

I'm fairly certain new titles get the laws of your title at the time of creation. As for being a catholic in a tengri realm, it's okay, especially since you'll be big. Just beware of having your heir converted, or you'll loose if you don't have TOG.

Just created Kingdom of Ireland, which mirrored the laws of the Kingdom of Alba I owned, so I think this works.
Just make sure you CREATE the title, do NOT usurp it. A usurped title keeps its crown and investiture laws, so if you, say, usurp England (especially in the 800's start), you might have 2 or 3 Kingdom titles that are free investiture medium crown primogeniture, and one Kingdom title that is papal investiture no crown law gavelkind. You *could* usurp it and change the laws over the course of 3 or 4 rulers, but I find it's always easier to just wipe out a current ruler completely so the title dissolves than to usurp a title and change the laws over 150+ years.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #4576 on: December 13, 2013, 01:44:25 pm »

Or you just make one of the not-gavelkind ones your primary title.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4577 on: December 13, 2013, 02:29:54 pm »

I've started browsing their realm adding up the levies in my head, but that's slow *and* inaccurate. 
Click on someone's (anyone in the enemy realm will do) portrait and go to realm view to see the total levies of the top liege. It's one of the three buttons near someone's dynasty shield. The levies shown there is way higher than their actual levies, but if your total levies is higher than theirs you probably have more troops.
Not that much. At least it's pretty accurate for what I can levy.

The ledger also has an "independent realm size" entry, so you can see how your army stacks up versus everyone else.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4578 on: December 13, 2013, 02:50:29 pm »

I've started browsing their realm adding up the levies in my head, but that's slow *and* inaccurate. 
Click on someone's (anyone in the enemy realm will do) portrait and go to realm view to see the total levies of the top liege. It's one of the three buttons near someone's dynasty shield. The levies shown there is way higher than their actual levies, but if your total levies is higher than theirs you probably have more troops.

Oh, the "realm tree"!  I was clicking the realm shield and seeing the realm ledger, which is sorta helpful but in a different way.  Thanks, this helps a lot!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4579 on: December 13, 2013, 03:17:04 pm »

There's a button on the bottom right called the ledger. It looks like a bar graph.

Just click next a few times to see realm information to get levies of realms, vassals, etc. It's also useful to see who is rich, so you know who to plunder / banish.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4580 on: December 13, 2013, 06:20:42 pm »

Not that much. At least it's pretty accurate for what I can levy.
The ledger also has an "independent realm size" entry, so you can see how your army stacks up versus everyone else.
Hm, possible that's what I've been using.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4581 on: December 13, 2013, 09:34:32 pm »

If the title is already created and you usurp it, it doesn't use what your primary title is, is what I was trying to say. It will just use what it was before you usurped it.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4582 on: December 13, 2013, 09:40:12 pm »

It doesn't matter, as long as your primary heir has more top-tier titles then the other heirs, he will lose the gavelkind title. It's actually (probably) better to make the gavelkind title primary and get the demesne size bonus.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4583 on: December 14, 2013, 04:24:32 pm »

I almost lost the Empire of Britannia in my Ironman game. I had just gotten done being retract/revoke happy trying to fix my ducal dejure lines, and lo and behold, my 80 year old ruler didn't die until he was 95. During those 15 years I had a horrid time bribing everyone and crushing uprisings. Lesson learned, don't retract/revoke unless you are depressed and can suicide immediately, because the RNG will let you live much, much longer than you thought you would.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4584 on: December 14, 2013, 04:48:43 pm »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4585 on: December 14, 2013, 05:31:37 pm »

I got the ruler designer DLC for kicks and... holy shit.  Its like a min maxer's wet dream.  Want a sixteen year old with 60 intrigue (or any other stat)?  How about a Sayyid Muslim as the ruler of the HRE?  Maybe you want a billion kids?  Or perhaps you just want to be loaded up with unambiguously good stats right from the start?  You can do all that, and it isn't terribly hard.  My favorite thing is that you can start with the excommunicated trait and then immediately issue a declaration of repentance, netting you +20 in any stats in exchange for >100 gold.

I'm probably not going to play many games with designed rulers (the game is easy enough as it is) but maybe I could think of something to mix up the normal gameplay.

I almost lost the Empire of Britannia in my Ironman game. I had just gotten done being retract/revoke happy trying to fix my ducal dejure lines, and lo and behold, my 80 year old ruler didn't die until he was 95. During those 15 years I had a horrid time bribing everyone and crushing uprisings. Lesson learned, don't retract/revoke unless you are depressed and can suicide immediately, because the RNG will let you live much, much longer than you thought you would.

Still think this is exploity.  The nobles should be as mad at the heir as they were at the parent (at least until he returned the titles and vassalages they "rightfully" own), and one of the specific symptoms of depression is not feeling the energy to do things.  Its really out of character that someone would jump into a flurry of activity right when they became depressed and piss off many of the people they know.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4586 on: December 14, 2013, 05:35:31 pm »

Still think this is exploity.  The nobles should be as mad at the heir as they were at the parent (at least until he returned the titles and vassalages they "rightfully" own), and one of the specific symptoms of depression is not feeling the energy to do things.  Its really out of character that someone would jump into a flurry of activity right when they became depressed and piss off many of the people they know.

However, if you think of it as someone that is about to commit suicide, it makes a lot of sense that they would "set their house in order" before offing themselves.  When a person knows they're going to die, they tend to get anal-retentive about how the world will be after their gone.  It's certainly a trope in stories, if not a real thing.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4587 on: December 14, 2013, 05:51:38 pm »

Yeah, but that's not setting their house in order.  That's setting their house on fire.

Look at it this way.  Their entire life, they've been living according to the rules of the nobility.  Then, right before they die, they start trampling all of their vassal's rights.  In real life, that would A be a very confrontational, active thing for a depressed person to do and B almost certainly result in a succession crisis, or the assassination of the heir.  But in CK 2's logic, these sort of actions actually make the heir safer, because AIs don't remember which holdings they used to own or how they lost them.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4588 on: December 14, 2013, 06:58:48 pm »

Look at it this way.  Their entire life, they've been living according to the rules of the nobility.  Then, right before they die, they start trampling all of their vassal's rights.
It could make some sense if he was secretly angry at some of them, but did not consider dealing with it to be worth the fight (in retrospect his depression probably shouldn't have been a surprise...) until they decided to clean house. This obviously should only affect vassals you personally hate (let's say less than -25 relations) rather than everyone.

But I actually think that vassals that are imprisoned/released/get a title should have a 10 (or 5, whatever makes the most sense) year relations boost to the title in addition (or instead) to a smaller relations boost to the person who did it (the net result being about as much as we have now). I wonder how hard it would be to mod in (my guess is: very.)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4589 on: December 14, 2013, 07:26:31 pm »

So 1.4 of the Elder Kings (Elder Scrolls Mod) finally came out after 5 months of incompatibility http://www.moddb.com/mods/elder-kings
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 1002