Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2092171 times)

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #4560 on: December 12, 2013, 11:39:24 am »

Welp, my genius son got assassinated by one of my wife (one of his mother in law), so I guess I'll let my strong son be the heir, especially since he is a charismatic negotiator (not the best, but nice). Though, I'm facing an issue, as in, the Abassids. I'm the Ummeyyads trying to reconquer their empire, but as of right now, the Arabian Empire dejure is evenly split between me (Mauretania, Africa, a chunck of Syria, and a chunck of Arabia) and them. In addition, I have Spain, and they have Mesopotamia. I can beat them (we have around the same army, 50k each, biggest realms in the world, Persia and Byz are third and 4th with 20k, though Seljuk is coming with 40k soldiers), especially with retinues.
But I don't have a cb (other than a few dejure, and conquest) and they have subjugation. I want to smash the empire, but if I attack, vassals will start loving the emperor (defending vs foreigners). What's the best way I could cause them to implode ?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4561 on: December 12, 2013, 06:34:37 pm »

You could ignore them and conquer France?  And then maybe the HRE.  Alternate between holy warring weak states and then invading big ones, works every time.  Then once you're so big they stand no hope of stopping you, then worry about finding a CB.  Just make sure your armies don't drop too far beneath the other guy's, or he could attack you.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Lukeinator

• Bay Watcher
  • Kophey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4562 on: December 12, 2013, 09:09:30 pm »

So... Any tips for someone who has never played this before? Any particular DLC to get? I mean, I've played /tons/ of EU3, specifically modded with MEIOU. Any mods like that for CK2?
Get the Old Gods, Sword of Islam. These let you play as almost any character on the map and TOG gives you an earlier start date.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135480.0 My second FOOTBLEED game.
This thread is Bay12 incarnate.

Like the mermaid bones farm and the Kill-your-baby machine.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4563 on: December 12, 2013, 09:47:28 pm »

Getting the most out of your own holdings is different in the new version. You'll want to have as many baronies as possible in your capital duchy, with as many baronies as you can fit in your capital county. With good martial, a marshal training troops and maxed out improvements you can raise around 6k soldiers per barony in your capital county. With the mongols coming you'll probably want to prioritize the martial stat on your sons to have as many good generals as possible as well as ensuring you get the +50% more troops bonus from your holdings.

Can you explain this a bit for me? I used to recall that cities were the best.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4564 on: December 12, 2013, 10:11:58 pm »

]A retinue is a standing army. It's a nice feature, and if you ever plan on playing Byzantium Legacy of Rome adds a nice bit of flavour.

Can you explain this a bit for me? I used to recall that cities were the best.

You get less levies from vassals now than you used to.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 10:14:30 pm by Wiles »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4565 on: December 13, 2013, 12:17:14 am »

Sunset Invasion is pretty worthless.

Republic is silly since you'll only see the use if you actually play them as they get unlocked in the game for free anyway. Playing as a Republic is very boring.

The rest are good.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4566 on: December 13, 2013, 12:35:42 am »

When do the Mongols show up? When you are about one to three duchies away from forming Russia as Poland.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4567 on: December 13, 2013, 01:13:35 am »

Swear Fealty. Who wouldn't wanna be a Mongol chief?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4568 on: December 13, 2013, 01:26:09 am »

I'd rather fight them, and besides, if I was to do that I'd just do it with the HRE which is right next to Poland. Also I'd have to destroy the Wendish Empire title, which is really easy to form as Poland. Now that I think about it though, perhaps forming a second Empire title isn't such a great idea unless new Empire titles use the Crown laws of the first, which would be Primogeniture preferably as otherwise the second son would inherit an independant Russia.

I don't have any expansions either, so I'd be a Catholic in a Tengri realm.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4569 on: December 13, 2013, 05:16:09 am »

I'm fairly certain new titles get the laws of your title at the time of creation. As for being a catholic in a tengri realm, it's okay, especially since you'll be big. Just beware of having your heir converted, or you'll loose if you don't have TOG.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4570 on: December 13, 2013, 07:12:19 am »

I'm fairly certain new titles get the laws of your title at the time of creation. As for being a catholic in a tengri realm, it's okay, especially since you'll be big. Just beware of having your heir converted, or you'll loose if you don't have TOG.

Just created Kingdom of Ireland, which mirrored the laws of the Kingdom of Alba I owned, so I think this works.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4571 on: December 13, 2013, 09:45:45 am »

You could ignore them and conquer France?  And then maybe the HRE.  Alternate between holy warring weak states and then invading big ones, works every time.  Then once you're so big they stand no hope of stopping you, then worry about finding a CB.  Just make sure your armies don't drop too far beneath the other guy's, or he could attack you.
I could, but I'm not really interested. It'd be really easy (France is controlled by Welsh, has 6k army). The biggest catholic kingdom is Lotharingia/Italy, at 11k soldiers atm. It wouldn't even be a challenge (and Tulunid, the sultan of Egypt, invaded Aquitaine btw, though he lost Egypt to the Abbassids). That wouldn't be a problem to invade the catholic world but I want to usurp the Arabian Empire, and I'm only at 54% (need 81%). Abbassids has the other 46% and there's 124 counties. I'd need to take 34 provinces from them to usurp the title, but I only have single counties cb (which are not really worth fighting a war over). Once I have a title, the rest of their realm will implode, since there's plenty of dukes and not a king title.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4572 on: December 13, 2013, 10:46:17 am »

I'm actually having a lot of fun as a republic.  It does throw a lot of gold at you, and you're basically exempt from the marriage game so you don't have to worry about all that, so it's relatively easy to play.  Easy enough to keep me from getting frustrated and quitting.  (CK2 is apparently really easy once you've properly learned it, but I must be too dim or lazy).

The more relaxed difficulty lets me get into character a little.  I don't just assassinate the other households, for example (unless they try it first).  I might even let one of them win the doge election soon.  There's probably less replayability, but I'm having fun pimping out my trans-dimensional sky mansion (basically a city you'll always own, can't be attacked, with a flavorful and overpowered upgrade tree).

One non-republic thing I have trouble with - how do I know whether starting a war is a good idea or suicide?  Thinking about adjacent duchies, mainly.  I've started browsing their realm adding up the levies in my head, but that's slow *and* inaccurate.  Not even worrying about allies.  I try to keep a mercenary fund, but that gets so expensive (when I'm not a republic).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4573 on: December 13, 2013, 12:19:52 pm »

I've started browsing their realm adding up the levies in my head, but that's slow *and* inaccurate. 
Click on someone's (anyone in the enemy realm will do) portrait and go to realm view to see the total levies of the top liege. It's one of the three buttons near someone's dynasty shield. The levies shown there is way higher than their actual levies, but if your total levies is higher than theirs you probably have more troops.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4574 on: December 13, 2013, 12:37:18 pm »

I've started browsing their realm adding up the levies in my head, but that's slow *and* inaccurate. 
Click on someone's (anyone in the enemy realm will do) portrait and go to realm view to see the total levies of the top liege. It's one of the three buttons near someone's dynasty shield. The levies shown there is way higher than their actual levies, but if your total levies is higher than theirs you probably have more troops.
Not that much. At least it's pretty accurate for what I can levy.
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 1002