Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2093530 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #4215 on: October 29, 2013, 03:42:47 pm »

I wonder if Appointment will give you the title when the appointee died or if it will work like Investure.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4216 on: October 29, 2013, 04:00:46 pm »

I wonder if Appointment will give you the title when the appointee died or if it will work like Investure.
I hope the first, because the second would be so tedious. I never bother appointing successors for bishops with free investiture except for trying to get a son as bishop, and I would hate if appointment just meant random successors being generated if I was lazy.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4217 on: October 29, 2013, 10:43:40 pm »

-10 to -20 relationship with vassals. Combined with a -16 short reign it sort of hurt, yeah.
I could deal with it but I'd rather not for a first game.

You could start another game (possibly as a king or something), then come back when you have more experience.  It's fairly easy to manage, but it does take a little familiarity with the game.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4218 on: October 29, 2013, 10:47:04 pm »

You don't have to be friends with everyone too.

Belligerent tyrants get a lot more done than peacehappy goody-two-shoes.

Lukeinator

• Bay Watcher
  • Kophey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4219 on: October 30, 2013, 06:30:41 am »

As I found out today, you know you are really old when your son dies before you.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135480.0 My second FOOTBLEED game.
This thread is Bay12 incarnate.

Like the mermaid bones farm and the Kill-your-baby machine.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4220 on: October 30, 2013, 06:47:45 am »

As I found out today, you know you are really old when your son dies before you.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #4221 on: October 30, 2013, 07:54:29 am »

This bullsh!t happened twice to me in a row.
Good stuff: my reign was absurdly long, something like 40 years. Maimed. Mugron the second promise to reign even longer.
Bad stuff: screwing up inheritances, skipping promising characters.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4222 on: October 30, 2013, 09:53:19 am »

I seem to live very long quite often. I think my oldest character was 97 (and then he died on the battlefield, though I'm wondering how he did to even get on the battlefield). Hell, I even had a great grand daughter inherit because everyone else was dead. It's like I'm immortal and everyone around me dies  :(

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4223 on: October 30, 2013, 10:00:32 am »

Heh. I had an old character marry a greatgranddaughter once xD

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 10:02:29 am by Dutchling »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4224 on: October 30, 2013, 10:06:45 am »

I used to kill my wives as soon as they were past childbearing age, so this kind of stuff happened all the time.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4225 on: October 30, 2013, 11:06:58 am »

I think the oldest ruler I had was 124.
Won the crusades - twice. Saw three generations of his own spawn. Claimed Scotland, devastated Wales, tamed England. Excommunicated no less than four times. Lead every battle even into his old age. Hammer of the northern cathars. Wearer of the longest beard. bearer of nine bastards, legitimiser of none. Died making passionate love to a nearly underage courtier.

oh Art mac Iacob Ua Conchobair, you were too beautiful for this world. You're storming castles in heaven now.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4226 on: October 30, 2013, 11:08:56 am »

Sometimes bad luck rules the day. It always seems that the perfect heir you've groomed since birth dies or has something horrible happen to them leaving your ugly clubfooted bastard to rule for the next 40 years.

Last time it happened to me it was the fault of one of my concubines. She murdered my perfect heir, then she murdered me leaving her lousy son as ruler of the Kingdom. She was the most murderous character I had ever run into - after her son took the throne she remarried and murdered that husband as well. Talk about a black widow!

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: October 30, 2013, 11:25:19 am »

A handy trick if you have a perfect heir and you're getting on in ages is to never land that heir. Heirs that move out from your court into the big scary world get into all kinds of stupid situations and are much easily targeted by assassins and plots. They also tend to pick up some nasty traits which seem a lot less common when bumming around your court.

Your heir will lose out on prestige and most succession laws will give you a small prestige penalty for not landing sons but it's rare for a king to be wanting for prestige. It also promotes easier plots for your heir to off your current ruler so he can take the rightful place, very good for geniuses and other highly skilled successors.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4228 on: October 30, 2013, 11:57:15 am »

I like using Tanistry, and playing Heir Roulette. Land every member of my dynasty, and let everyone decide who they like more.

The only time it's bothered me is when I was trying to get a Gaelic pagan on the thone. :P Obviously with all the electors being Catholic...
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4229 on: October 30, 2013, 01:34:28 pm »

That does seem like a good way to get an heir with good diplomacy and/or intrigue... and since it's a fair system, I assume the electors get a happiness bonus?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 1002