Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2093835 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #4095 on: October 09, 2013, 05:17:14 pm »

If you do a single county, I'd do it as a republic. You can't "ruler design" a republic, but you can make a republic by giving a coastal mayor a duchy.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4096 on: October 09, 2013, 05:26:02 pm »

You have to technically be a duchy as a maritime republic and they can exploit serious amount of gold out of trade posts. I'm going to try and go full generic catholic feudal lord which can't expand past a single county.

I'm not sure if I'll allow myself to play the marriage game so I can expand my dynasty all across the globe and get a galleyload of prestige.
On one hand I like the idea of a single small yet strong dynasty ruling over the same small area for centuries holding back any opposition but I think it might be too boring if I can't affect the world outside my lands nor would I be able to game it too much since anyone important won't marry a count.

I won't play Muslim since I don't think you can manage decadence as a count nor will I play Norse/pagans since it's pretty much cheating even with project balance.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: October 09, 2013, 06:23:45 pm »

I don't believe there is any landed zoroastrians in 1066 or at any later date. You can of course ruler designer but then you might as well make a generic pagan (has no features) and plop them down next to the Seljuks.

There's actually one or two buried within the Seljuks and the Muslim states around there IIRC. I know that there's a couple provinces still Zoroastrian by 1066 though.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4098 on: October 09, 2013, 08:48:43 pm »

I don't believe there is any landed zoroastrians in 1066 or at any later date. You can of course ruler designer but then you might as well make a generic pagan (has no features) and plop them down next to the Seljuks.

There's actually one or two buried within the Seljuks and the Muslim states around there IIRC. I know that there's a couple provinces still Zoroastrian by 1066 though.
Well no matter when you start there aren't any around France, which is what I was saying. Kinda interesting to use Ruler Designer to throw someone in a place that they REALLY shouldn't be.
Like putting an Aztec in Russia. Hilarity Ensues.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: October 10, 2013, 01:23:07 am »

It's hard to decipher that last paragraph, but you can't become the vassal of another king if you are a king.

And if you marry a countess, your son will inherit both if both the succesion laws are the same. You die, wife dies, son inherits, he has both of them. If he inherits a title at the same or higher level of his liege, he goes independent without a fuss. If he inherits a lower title than that of his liege, then if he's already inherited the vassal title, you will become the vassal. If he inherits the independent title, then he goes independent and pulls the vassal title out of the lieges grasp.
Didnt know that. It's historically inaccurate, since the king of england was vassal of the king of france at some point, due to the fact that he was duke of normandy as well, but I'm not gonna complain x)

And yes, my son is listed as heir in my wife's character sheet, so I do believe he's going to inherit it.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4100 on: October 10, 2013, 08:55:31 am »

Didnt know that. It's historically inaccurate, since the king of england was vassal of the king of france at some point, due to the fact that he was duke of normandy as well
In name only. While it did occasionally serve the French kings as justification for their actions with or against the Angevins(English), there was in practice no money changing hands or troops being levied from them.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #4101 on: October 10, 2013, 09:11:34 am »

Didnt know that. It's historically inaccurate, since the king of england was vassal of the king of france at some point, due to the fact that he was duke of normandy as well
In name only. While it did occasionally serve the French kings as justification for their actions with or against the Angevins(English), there was in practice no money changing hands or troops being levied from them.
True dat.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Full Sig

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4102 on: October 10, 2013, 11:30:54 am »

The lands of the English king were subject to the French king but the English kings themselves were not subject to the French sovereign.  IIRC there were examples during the Hundred Years War where the local lords in the English territories in France supplied troops to both sides.  CKII has to abstract away a lot of complicated situations like that.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4103 on: October 10, 2013, 11:39:13 am »

The de jure system is kinda supposed to semi-model that.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #4104 on: October 12, 2013, 03:57:40 pm »

News from ireland: Cajoling vassals, giving up ducal titles, etc... made me reach 5k+ troops, making the wars much easier. I unified Ireland, bar from a single county, which belongs to Jorvik England.
Oh yeah, I didn't tell you? Jorvik became england. And later inherited northern scotland. They have 13k troops. She has 46 state intrigue and doesn't like me... AND she's not even 35 yet. Damn. I'm very afraid.

I continued marrying my fuckton of daughters to kings and whatever, often making bad decisions at that. But I married my penultimate daughter to the inheritor of the Byzantinium Empire's throne. Yay!

I have now so many prestige that only the Lotharingian Emperor is above me. The third guy is a random sultan, the fourth is... The Queen of England... And the fifth is my wife, yay.

I managed to put my daughter-in-law on the throne of Scotland, and won her a second county (yes, scotland is a clusterfuck).  However my son DIED, setting a trend of skipping generations. This time it's sad because he was sooooo promising... I do hope that my maimed old man will survive long enough for my grandson to reach adulthood. I'll try not to get this one maimed.
Full Sig

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4105 on: October 12, 2013, 09:08:20 pm »

Well, I tried to mod in a creatable Aztec empire, but I don't know how to make it so that you have to have two kingdom titles to create it. When I try to launch the game in its current state, it crashes as soon as it begins loading the database.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4106 on: October 12, 2013, 10:54:44 pm »

News from ireland: Cajoling vassals, giving up ducal titles, etc... made me reach 5k+ troops, making the wars much easier. I unified Ireland, bar from a single county, which belongs to Jorvik England.
Oh yeah, I didn't tell you? Jorvik became england. And later inherited northern scotland. They have 13k troops. She has 46 state intrigue and doesn't like me... AND she's not even 35 yet. Damn. I'm very afraid.

I continued marrying my fuckton of daughters to kings and whatever, often making bad decisions at that. But I married my penultimate daughter to the inheritor of the Byzantinium Empire's throne. Yay!

I have now so many prestige that only the Lotharingian Emperor is above me. The third guy is a random sultan, the fourth is... The Queen of England... And the fifth is my wife, yay.

I managed to put my daughter-in-law on the throne of Scotland, and won her a second county (yes, scotland is a clusterfuck).  However my son DIED, setting a trend of skipping generations. This time it's sad because he was sooooo promising... I do hope that my maimed old man will survive long enough for my grandson to reach adulthood. I'll try not to get this one maimed.
I must ask. Your daugthers, are you marrying them in Matrilineal Marriages or regular ones? It's very fun to get all of them in matrilineal marriages with high ranking nobles when you can, even if you end having to get them on your court first. :P
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #4107 on: October 13, 2013, 04:22:02 am »

I managed a single matrilineal, but it was with the future basileus :P
Full Sig

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4108 on: October 13, 2013, 09:17:11 pm »

Heads up, Steam just leaked the next CK2 DLC:

http://steamdb.info/app/203770/#section_depots

"Songs of Arabia" and "Sons of Abraham"

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4109 on: October 13, 2013, 09:29:09 pm »

Sons of Abraham?

... Well it's either Jewish or Theocracy. Religiousness, youknow.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 1002