Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2094252 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #3990 on: August 29, 2013, 03:03:02 pm »

I liked Ming China.  But Japan is utterly broken (I become the Shogun and reach 100% authority, my reward is... not being able to wage wars with the other Diamyos, AKA the only thing there is to do in Japan!  WTF?), Native American countries involve staring at the screen for in-game centuries counting as your tech slowly rises up to 4 and you get your first idea, and then Spain drops a deathstack on you and renders it all moot.  African nations are basically the same process but your tech starts higher and the Europeans start closer.  Asian countries beyond Japan and Ming (and maybe Manchu and Korea) have to contend with each other, then Ming, and THEN with the Europeans.

So I guess that leaves... the Muslims are pretty playable (Ottomans and Mamluks are pretty close to the Europeans in power), the hordes have very odd mechanics but are playable.  The medium sized nations around India are kind of playable but have the same problem where they have to fight the more powerful hordes just to survive and get their asses kicked by the Europeans.

So... non-Western nations are kind of playable?  Most of the AARs I've read of playing non-western, non-huge nations have involved gross exploitation of the AI.  I'll admit its been a while since I actually got going on an EU3 game, and I was never more than decent at it.  CK2 stole my heart pretty handily with its character emphasis.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: August 29, 2013, 03:11:04 pm »

I agree that new world and sub-saharan nations hardly got any attention from Paradox. Japan and the Hordes did get attention but I think whoever coded their special rules was drunk at the moment. The other nations (haven't really played Ming though) are perfectly playable, you just have to deal with superior Europeans armies and possibly westernisation in the mid-late game. I don't see how that makes them less playable.

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: August 29, 2013, 03:14:20 pm »

One thing most people don't mention is that different tech groups have periods where they are superior to others. Except probably African and American natives. But Indians get good around tech 17, Arabs start out better, and stay that way for a while, and hordes start awesome. Then they fail. Not sure about Chinese tech, though.

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: August 30, 2013, 01:22:27 am »

For the 2% of us who have CK2 through Gamers Gate, there was a post made on the official forums by Johan (Paradox's head dev) stating that placing DLC purchased through GG into Steam's CK2 DLC folder is "100% legal, and perfectly acceptable". So, no having to rebuy DLC through Steam, just the base game (or have a free copy through EU4 pre-order, etc.). This is useful because CK2 will likely be getting some Steam enhancements similar to EU4 with the next patch.

Source: Post #245 of this thread.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: August 30, 2013, 02:31:28 am »

I'm not so sure about that. I'm sure that DLC across platforms is incompatible and there were plenty of threads complaining about this. I know that DLC can't even be shared across different Steam accounts either since they seem to have unique signatures.
Unless there's some way to unpack the DLC and have the game recognise that you own them I'm not sure how this would work.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: August 30, 2013, 03:11:27 am »

You can launch CK2 without Steams so that shouldn't be an issue.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #3996 on: August 30, 2013, 06:08:14 am »

This is great stuff! As it is, I'm imagining only using it to fill characters and inspire kingdoms, since it doesn't fill everything out and empty provinces would be a waste. But I'll definitely want to use cities, names and kingdoms in the game already to lessen the creative work and give a more DF feeling.

Names would be best both translated and untranslated, actually, though untranslated is what I need ingame.

I think I'll have the starting point be 793.6.29 and not bother with earlier or later startdates, atleast for a start.

But I'd like religions and cultures, kingdoms and rulers and noteworthy cities :) Screenshots would be nice, so I could actually place the things quickly.

Here's a map for you to paint anything on if you can :)

How are you going to implement races? As culture?

I was thinking to have them as just human cultures, carrying the DF races in spirit, since implementing races is a huge amount of work and I already have a lot to do.

Can you do custom genetic traits? "Elf" could impart longevity, etc.

I suppose it's possible, but I'm not much of an artist anyway and so won't have the graphics to support it. It's on the bottom of the 'importance' list for me, atleast.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: August 30, 2013, 08:05:10 am »

I liked Ming China.  But Japan is utterly broken (I become the Shogun and reach 100% authority, my reward is... not being able to wage wars with the other Diamyos, AKA the only thing there is to do in Japan!  WTF?), Native American countries involve staring at the screen for in-game centuries counting as your tech slowly rises up to 4 and you get your first idea, and then Spain drops a deathstack on you and renders it all moot.  African nations are basically the same process but your tech starts higher and the Europeans start closer.  Asian countries beyond Japan and Ming (and maybe Manchu and Korea) have to contend with each other, then Ming, and THEN with the Europeans.

So I guess that leaves... the Muslims are pretty playable (Ottomans and Mamluks are pretty close to the Europeans in power), the hordes have very odd mechanics but are playable.  The medium sized nations around India are kind of playable but have the same problem where they have to fight the more powerful hordes just to survive and get their asses kicked by the Europeans.

So... non-Western nations are kind of playable?  Most of the AARs I've read of playing non-western, non-huge nations have involved gross exploitation of the AI.  I'll admit its been a while since I actually got going on an EU3 game, and I was never more than decent at it.  CK2 stole my heart pretty handily with its character emphasis.

I had a really enjoyable Tibet game, where I conquered India and ended with my empire stretching from the horn of Africa to the shores of China.  By the end of the game I was westernized and able to go toe to toe with the colonial juggernaut Spain had become.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: August 30, 2013, 08:10:27 am »

This is great stuff! As it is, I'm imagining only using it to fill characters and inspire kingdoms, since it doesn't fill everything out and empty provinces would be a waste. But I'll definitely want to use cities, names and kingdoms in the game already to lessen the creative work and give a more DF feeling.

Names would be best both translated and untranslated, actually, though untranslated is what I need ingame.

I think I'll have the starting point be 793.6.29 and not bother with earlier or later startdates, atleast for a start.

But I'd like religions and cultures, kingdoms and rulers and noteworthy cities :) Screenshots would be nice, so I could actually place the things quickly.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here's a map for you to paint anything on if you can :)

How are you going to implement races? As culture?

I was thinking to have them as just human cultures, carrying the DF races in spirit, since implementing races is a huge amount of work and I already have a lot to do.

Can you do custom genetic traits? "Elf" could impart longevity, etc.

I suppose it's possible, but I'm not much of an artist anyway and so won't have the graphics to support it. It's on the bottom of the 'importance' list for me, atleast.

You could make an 'Elf' trait that gives +1000 health. Makes them practically immortal, although it also makes the health effects of diseases and injuries irrelevant.

Anyway, could you perhaps create a separate thread for this? I think it deserves one :)

And is there any way I can help? If you can assign me an area or something I can give you all the data I can find, I've always liked Legends mode.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: August 30, 2013, 08:21:34 am »

Long-lived (immortal) characters tend to have a lot of children. Adding fantasy races to CK2 will be a lot of work, I'd worry other things for now.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4000 on: August 30, 2013, 08:32:49 am »

Traits can also reduce fertility so that shouldn't be a problem. Harder would be trying to find out the health bonus Dwarves need to get a higher average max age.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4001 on: August 30, 2013, 08:34:12 am »

I would just copy-paste The Elder King's basic code for preventing inter-racial marriage for now. Dwarf-elf hybrids sound hilarious but you'd get sick of them very, very quickly. Stats for races aren't necessary.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #4002 on: August 30, 2013, 08:53:22 am »

Even if Korbah would let me, I don't feel it's worth it. Where should I put the thread?

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: August 30, 2013, 09:23:17 am »

Traits can also reduce fertility so that shouldn't be a problem. Harder would be trying to find out the health bonus Dwarves need to get a higher average max age.
That approach seems to result in some couples that basically never have children, and those that do still live long enough to have around 15. It's a bad, very frustrating solution.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4004 on: August 30, 2013, 05:37:25 pm »

I'm not so sure about that. I'm sure that DLC across platforms is incompatible and there were plenty of threads complaining about this. I know that DLC can't even be shared across different Steam accounts either since they seem to have unique signatures.
Unless there's some way to unpack the DLC and have the game recognise that you own them I'm not sure how this would work.

Just tested it and it works, even launching through Steam.
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 1002