Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2094287 times)

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #3975 on: August 28, 2013, 07:17:30 pm »

Just curious, how much of that map came from DF and how much did you make up?  In terms of terrain, countries, religion, ect.

Terrain is so far 100% exported maps, provinces are from exported savagery map run through the Map Generator mod from eu3, countries and religion isn't touched at all.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3976 on: August 28, 2013, 07:37:13 pm »

There's a map generator mod for EU3 that works on CK2?  That's awesome.  I mean I never finish programing projects but still, that would make it so much easier to be partially done.

Want to post the DF save?  I'm going to be too busy in the short term to commit to helping you, but I could definitely sift through legends and find some interesting religions/countries.  Right now your map is looking a bit shattered world, there are probably kingdoms and such that should be represented.

Oh, and your map won't work.  The engine can't handle having two separate sets of sea provinces that aren't connected.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #3977 on: August 28, 2013, 08:50:36 pm »

There's a map generator mod for EU3 that works on CK2?  That's awesome.  I mean I never finish programing projects but still, that would make it so much easier to be partially done.

Want to post the DF save?  I'm going to be too busy in the short term to commit to helping you, but I could definitely sift through legends and find some interesting religions/countries.  Right now your map is looking a bit shattered world, there are probably kingdoms and such that should be represented.

Oh, and your map won't work.  The engine can't handle having two separate sets of sea provinces that aren't connected.
Oh it'll work, if portages work like I think they do, if not, it'll still work as places raiders can reach.

The map generator doesn't work for CK2, I just use the files it makes for EU3 and make it work for CK2. Like my definitions file. (Sourcecode: http://www.mediafire.com/download/9bdd93fp1fcgq9y/MapGenerator3b21source.zip )

Right now I've just tried making it all look like a drawn map with an old EU3 mod aswell:

Personally I like it and will like it more with a bit more refining, though it may not be for everyone.

As for the save it's only a fairly centered region of the whole map, you should be able to spot the area if you have the earlier test linked downloaded.

And it is basicly a shattered world atm, which isn't the intention at all, of course.

Save is uploading and will be in this post by edit once done.

Think that was all ^^;

Edit:

Save: http://www.mediafire.com/download/l75d1qppf94scia/Amethadefini.rar

Edit2:

Ah, forgot to say that the things I need the most is basicly characters and kingdoms, yeah. I find it hard to get a good idea of cultural spread aswell. I basicly want all 4, Dwarf, Elf, Human and Goblin to be present and unique on the map and I've gotten some help from a friend writing a program to generate random province names for me in the different languages, so those should be covered finally.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 09:02:48 pm by Lysabild »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3978 on: August 28, 2013, 11:49:44 pm »

"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: August 29, 2013, 02:45:26 am »

How are you going to implement races? As culture?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3980 on: August 29, 2013, 04:37:07 am »

How are you going to implement races? As culture?
Can you do custom genetic traits? "Elf" could impart longevity, etc.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3981 on: August 29, 2013, 07:22:31 am »

You could do that. Using the mechanism for the Sayyid trait, you could even make sure you always transmit it. You could also make it so race is only transferred by the mom/dad (so we don't have too many hybrids).

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: August 29, 2013, 10:18:51 am »

You could do that. Using the mechanism for the Sayyid trait, you could even make sure you always transmit it. You could also make it so race is only transferred by the mom/dad (so we don't have too many hybrids).
The easiest solution to hybrids is to make them infertile, that way you'll only have to deal with halves, not quarters.  I think being infertile would invalidate them from rule the same way being a eunuch would.

Could be interesting.  Marry a ruler from a different race so that their kids can't compete with your current ones, that kind of thing.  And since there wouldn't be many half breeds running around, you could give them some ridiculous stats if you wanted to.

Also, one thing I remembered digging through the history files is that elves are mildly matriarchal, in the sense that their leaders and generals must be female.  Having succession laws that favor women has been done in the past, by giving every female character a trait that is functionally similar to "Born in the Purple".  This has the result of throwing female characters into the front of succession.  It wouldn't be perfect unless you gave males a trait that invalidates them, and it might fuck with other race's succession if elves join their civ.  But on the plus side it would make the elves more genuine if they had female rulers.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: August 29, 2013, 10:33:30 am »

Paradox actually added female succession laws a while ago for modders, so you don't have to worry about that.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: August 29, 2013, 11:08:50 am »

Paradox actually added female succession laws a while ago for modders, so you don't have to worry about that.

Oh... I'm discovering that my understanding of modding paradox games is spotty and out of date.  Ah well.

Paradox did well with CK2 and avoiding prejudice, didn't they?  Non-Christian religions represented historically and without obvious (to me, at least) bias, non-whites who stand a chance fighting the Europeans (as opposed to EU, barring exploits or extreme skill), female characters who are still playable and interesting despite their historically accurate penalties.  And now there's support for modders getting rid of that.  The whole thing feels evenhanded.  I wouldn't call CK2 realistic in every aspect (even ignoring the obvious stuff like Aztecs), but I do feel like the devs tried to emulate history instead of their own biases.  Or their own morality, I mean CK2 characters casually do horrible things all the time, but it feels justified in-universe.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: August 29, 2013, 11:29:25 am »

I don't think Paradox is trying to be as politically correct as you describe. They just know that the mod-ability of their games is one of their greatest aspects and help the modders out. They even added a special mechanic/trait which is used only by the Targaryans in the Game of Thrones mod.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: August 29, 2013, 11:47:50 am »

I don't think Paradox is trying to be as politically correct as you describe. They just know that the mod-ability of their games is one of their greatest aspects and help the modders out. They even added a special mechanic/trait which is used only by the Targaryans in the Game of Thrones mod.

EngimaticHat's post didn't concentrate on adding the female succession thing, but the fact that despite the title, the game neither whitewashes nor demonizes non-Christian-Noble-Males.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: August 29, 2013, 01:41:57 pm »

Yeah, but then it was in a period when non-christian and non-europeans were actually pretty successful, as opposed to the setting of EU III.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: August 29, 2013, 02:00:44 pm »

EU III has always been in that awkward place where you're allowed to play as non-western civs, but the game doesn't quite support it.  EU IV is a tad better.  Japan isn't crappy anymore and the monarch points and trade systems give you something to do as non-western civs besides wait for your tech to slowly and predictably rise over decades and plot gamey westernization.  On the flip side if you're somehow more technologically advanced than a western nation it nonsensically gets better troops (even on your terrain!), but I think that was in EU III as well.  Its cool that they give you the option as playing as those nations at least.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: August 29, 2013, 02:05:54 pm »

Your EU3 must be different than mine then.
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 1002