Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2094373 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #3930 on: August 25, 2013, 01:08:39 pm »

-snop-
That's why I'm planning on converting natives to the religion and setting them up as pagan kings. Keep the culture, keep them independent, and help them pacify their region~
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3931 on: August 25, 2013, 01:31:22 pm »

In those kinds of situations, I recommend saving, then loading as a different country, ideally one with a different culture. Then try and fight back what you initially created.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3932 on: August 25, 2013, 01:35:19 pm »

You can also go on observe and see if it falls apart. It usually will, but sometimes the AI's done golden ages for me too. With infinite patience for dealing with independence revolters they can get much more done than I can.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3933 on: August 25, 2013, 02:01:42 pm »

In those kinds of situations, I recommend saving, then loading as a different country, ideally one with a different culture. Then try and fight back what you initially created.

Well, that quite a good idea in fact. The game is less interesting as the avatar of Odin now, but could be more interesting as the oppressed christian people in iberia. Thanks!

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3934 on: August 25, 2013, 04:20:26 pm »

been playing the europa universalis 4 demo on steam. or trying to. this game is like that one right?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3935 on: August 25, 2013, 04:26:39 pm »

Kinda

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3936 on: August 25, 2013, 04:27:22 pm »

At best, I would say 25% the same. The games both have very different priorities.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3937 on: August 25, 2013, 04:42:55 pm »

EU4 is a conventional strategy game that happens to also be a complicated (alternate) history simulation.  Crusader Kings 2 has some of that, but i would more describe it as a medieval dynasty management game.  Make sure you have an heir, set up favorable arranged marriages, rebel against your liege or prevent your vassals from doing the same, that kind of thing.  The economy and military stuff is there, but its almost a chore compared to the personal interaction stuff which is the meat of the game imo.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3938 on: August 25, 2013, 07:57:27 pm »

I have learned from my experiences that vassals are kinda dicks, willing to jump on any and every chance to rebel.
I suppose the best solution would be to make it so that they can't, but that's really hard when they keep making factions.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3939 on: August 26, 2013, 01:35:29 am »

Well, first you can breed your lines so your leaders have lots of likeable traits. Second, you can make sure all your vassals are family. Third, you can try to arrest some members of a coalition if you have a reason to do so. They'll either go to jail (no more factionning!) or revolt, at which point you can crush them one by one. Fourth, getting your vassals to send their kids to your court as hostage will help preventing them from attacking.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3940 on: August 26, 2013, 01:54:16 am »

Making your family members vassals can have a lot of ill effects. For one it can create a hell of a lot of pretenders with certain succession types. It will promote even more intrigue across your vassal base and lead to some vassals inheriting lots of land and snowballing out of control. It also promotes inbreeding which can really set back your dynasty in an elective succession. Finally some sucession types have a pretty large malus for dynasty members that should be considered.

Ultimately if you want to make the most sustainable and secure empire your best bet is to either go elective and abuse arch prince-bishops or go tanistry and make sure that only family members hold titles.
If you plan to play the tainstry game you have to fan out your dynasty as quickly as possible. Wed all your males even if they're not heirs, matrilineally marry off any unwed females of your dynasty and have them pumping out new lines. Only give out titles to each new line so succession snowballing is completely impossible. If you don't have any dynasty members to hand titles to, grant them to heathens so you can revoke them later to hand out to a new line. Using this method I was able to make a super stable dynastic empire that not even the AI was able to lose in 200 years.

If you really want to power game Scottish is the best culture for this since they can have tanistry and they get the unique Pikemen retinue which when coupled with the unique Scottish cultural tactic become one of the best units for both attack and defence. Welsh is another decent choice for longbow spam but expansion will be slower, Irish and Breton units are about on par and also have the slowest rates of expansion. 

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3941 on: August 26, 2013, 02:42:13 am »

If you're willing to go the gamey route, when an independance faction gives you an ultimatum, just pause the game and grant independence to the faction leader. The rest of the faction will quietly drop their demands, and with the +50 "granted independence" modifier, you can probably get your vassal back by diplomacy (except if he's a King).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3942 on: August 26, 2013, 07:55:35 am »

I feel like someone should update the thread title.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3943 on: August 26, 2013, 09:03:32 am »

Why? It's still true.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3944 on: August 26, 2013, 10:13:23 am »

CK2 back in jail again. 12 charges of incest and 9,000 charges of murder.
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 1002