Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2091493 times)

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #735 on: April 25, 2012, 01:40:37 pm »

Just picked this up from Amazon on sale (50% off in U.S.). I've played a ton of EU3, and wanted to pick some experienced players brains' for advice before starting a game up. Any advice or suggestions for a relative noob?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: April 25, 2012, 01:49:11 pm »

Ireland. Start in Ireland :D
Love, scriver~

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: April 25, 2012, 01:51:36 pm »

Ireland. Start in Ireland :D

Based on my experiences from EU3, I detect a less than sincere protip.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: April 25, 2012, 01:55:33 pm »

It actually is. I have even seen the AI successfully form the Kingdom of Ireland so it's definitely not a hard place to start.
But if you're only a noob at CK2 and not at strategy or Paradox games in general you really do not need to start in Ireland in order to survive.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: April 25, 2012, 01:56:53 pm »

Good to know... my last EU3 game involved forming Ireland, and it required incredible luck and timing to wrest that one province away from England.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: April 25, 2012, 01:58:11 pm »

Good to know... my last EU3 game involved forming Ireland, and it required incredible luck and timing to wrest that one province away from England.

That province isn't required.

Yodamaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: April 25, 2012, 02:27:06 pm »

Try being the King of Scotland. If you want action take over the isles to the west, or various parts of Ireland until you get a grasp of the game.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: April 25, 2012, 02:32:05 pm »

That's actually why I suggest starting as a count or duke in Ireland, and then going for forming the Irish kingdom. You get to experience all of the "levels" without having a liege bossing you around, get a good feel for the game and it's not terribly difficult.
Love, scriver~

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: April 25, 2012, 02:43:03 pm »

That province isn't required.
That province isn't controlled by England, either. Ireland is a great choice because of what scriver said. Other good choices could be one of the Iberian kingdoms and someone in either of the empires.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: April 25, 2012, 02:55:58 pm »

Thanks for all the tips. I'll have to give this a go later.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: April 25, 2012, 04:49:04 pm »

So, any recommendations for mods? It seems that CKII+ is the biggest one, but is it any good?

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: April 25, 2012, 11:27:14 pm »

Other good choices could be one of the Iberian kingdoms and someone in either of the empires.
For a complete newbie? Err... Not really. When you have enough of an idea to realise that the first thing you should be doing is murdering all the other Iberian kings to get their land and then conquering all the muslims in the area sure, but first time playing it's not a good idea.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: April 26, 2012, 06:38:10 am »

In my Count of Parma, Italy game, I switched succession law type to "Elective".  I'm starting to realize how difficult it is.  My vassals keep nominating themselves, and I had to assassinate a few, and actually revoke one guy's title.  He rebelled, since I only had Parma, I immediately began sieging, won it without a casualty. 

So yeah, is there a way to manage my vassals so they consistently vote for a family member?  Preferabbly one  that I choose, so I can optimize my heir's stats.

My biological heir is next in line due to a single extra vote, I hope I can keep it up, but assuming I can actually play as my heir, I'll immediately change to primogeniture, if the stupid crown law is set to great or absolute. 

But if I can keep working the electoral system, I'd probably stay with it.  Is there a cost-effective, and not terribly maddening way to manipulate my vassals? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: April 26, 2012, 11:55:15 am »

Make them all bishops. :P That's more practical when you have a lot of land!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: April 26, 2012, 01:54:52 pm »

Managing an elective system can be tricky, and it isn't something I recommend for a count, it's easiest as a king when you can do stuff like block the formation of duke titles by owning more than half the land and not forming the title.

My best advice is to make sure you pick out your successor as soon as you take over. People like to back the winning party so that they gain favour with them, if you pick someone out immediately, they'll be inclined to throw themselves behind the only person who has a vote. They also be more inclined to pick the person you pick if they like you.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 1002