Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2091759 times)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #555 on: March 02, 2012, 02:04:52 pm »

Well, I had a pretty hefty army of ~65k on standby. I figured that was probably comfortable enough to take on whatever the Mongols could throw at me, with some elbow room once all of the mercenary groups are figured in (easily another 10-20k troops if needed).

Ilkhanate showed up with 140k troops (two stacks of 60k and one of 40k) and proceeded to wipe the floor with my entire army. I didn't even manage to knock out one of their ~60k stacks.

However, I got INCREDIBLY lucky. My retreating army got caught in a battle with half of their 40k troop stack, which they'd split in two in order to siege two counties. My army got its ass handed to it, since there were only seventeen thousand men left and they were fresh out of a defeat.

But the khan died in the battle. The Ilkhanate immediately declared peace and the war ended.  :o

Holy crap.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 02, 2012, 04:47:13 pm »

The game is infuriating at times.
So here I am trying to invite another noble to my court. (Yeah I know it's almost impossible....)
They had the be married ambition. So I thought jay extra friendliness points. So I set up a marriage....
And the stupid liege where I want to ste.. Invite the noble from gets the points instead of me.

Anyone have any tips?

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: March 02, 2012, 09:34:52 pm »

Matrilineal marriages, since you obviously were able to do a marriage in that case. I generally don't bother with inviting people to my court unless I want to press their claims, in which case there's generally at least one who will be happy to come, since I'm able to press their claims for them, and if there aren't then I just ignore that county for a bit (until the current ruler of it dies) and focus my attention somewhere else.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 03, 2012, 01:13:46 am »

Well, I had a pretty hefty army of ~65k on standby. I figured that was probably comfortable enough to take on whatever the Mongols could throw at me, with some elbow room once all of the mercenary groups are figured in (easily another 10-20k troops if needed).

Ilkhanate showed up with 140k troops (two stacks of 60k and one of 40k) and proceeded to wipe the floor with my entire army. I didn't even manage to knock out one of their ~60k stacks.

However, I got INCREDIBLY lucky. My retreating army got caught in a battle with half of their 40k troop stack, which they'd split in two in order to siege two counties. My army got its ass handed to it, since there were only seventeen thousand men left and they were fresh out of a defeat.

But the khan died in the battle. The Ilkhanate immediately declared peace and the war ended.  :o

Holy crap.

That...is quite historically accurate.  Can assassins be sent after the khan? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 03, 2012, 02:40:00 am »

Yes, but it doesn't do any good; after a very brief period of peace they will go right back to war.

Spoiler: Crap. (click to show/hide)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: March 03, 2012, 02:45:14 am »

Well...if you have a lot of money ( and high espionage ) you can just slaughter the khan's bloodline right? 

Also, marriage?  Wow.  No society, civilization or person in human history has ever thought of that.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 03, 2012, 04:13:47 am »

Well...if you have a lot of money ( and high espionage ) you can just slaughter the khan's bloodline right? 

Maybe. I think they have some kind of weird exemption from normal succession laws, at least when they first arrive in Eastern Europe.

Also, marriage?  Wow.  No society, civilization or person in human history has ever thought of that.

Know what else they've never thought of? Tasteful use of sarcasm.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 03, 2012, 04:15:23 am »

Sarcasm? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 03, 2012, 04:21:21 am »

I think we're having two different conversations.  ??? Or I'm just confused.

Anyway, I've stopped playing for now. Got a bit annoyed that my entire kingdom would surrender to the Ilkhanate despite having at least a mediocre chance of taking out most of their armies, since they split all of their stacks up into more manageable ~20k chunks.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 03, 2012, 04:24:43 am »

Confusion and unintended sarcastic comments ( that I cannot tell are sarcastic ) is my middle name.  I have a really long name. 

So, all your vassals just surrendered? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 03, 2012, 04:28:30 am »

Yep. I had four stacks of roughly 20,000 troops apiece. I was thinking that with any luck whatsoever, I would have been able to take out at least half of the khan's army through strategic maneuvering. So much for that. The entire kingdom just turned over all at once before my troops even got to the front lines.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 03, 2012, 01:09:18 pm »

I went on an expansion spree and crowned myself the King (or Despot) of Africa, and actually had a 12-year period where all my children liked me (and I had a lot of them, lustful wives are nice) until I changed the kingdom laws from Gavelkind to Primo, yelp. I still gave my third son (second son had gone and turned Polish and catholic, grr) my original duchy and got him back on the green, but I don't doubt that he's going to hate his brother once this succeeds to the throne.

And the Mongols have just arrived and are running wild through blobby Persia, ooh. Can't wait for them to reach the Byzzie borders.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: March 03, 2012, 05:06:55 pm »

Okay, so one of my vassal's heirs currently works for Scotland so when he dies (and he is ooooold) I'm going to lose my claim to the title King of Ireland. And, if I assassinate him, the guy's brother, also a Scottish pawn, will become the heir instead. And I don't have the money to pull two assassintions that have a low chance of succeeding anyway.

My normal approach is useless here.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 03, 2012, 06:34:29 pm »

Okay, so one of my vassal's heirs currently works for Scotland so when he dies (and he is ooooold) I'm going to lose my claim to the title King of Ireland. And, if I assassinate him, the guy's brother, also a Scottish pawn, will become the heir instead. And I don't have the money to pull two assassintions that have a low chance of succeeding anyway.

My normal approach is useless here.
Now, I know this may sound crazy, but you could always cut your losses and simply fold.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 03, 2012, 06:36:43 pm »

Or just strip said vassal of his title. Can't lose it to a foreigner if you own it, now can you? :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 1002