Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2091887 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #510 on: February 28, 2012, 07:10:58 pm »

...All you have to do is register the game on the site. It's the least problematic anti piracy policy ever. It's literally a "we provide a better service if you actually buy the game" stance.

Also, what's wrong with the event system?
Love, scriver~

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: February 28, 2012, 07:30:44 pm »

Also, what's wrong with the event system?

Well, personally I'm somewhat disappointed by the lack of variable manipulation in their scripting language, but I might be wrong on that because the worst thing is lack of documentation. Otherwise it's pretty easy to work with (what is known) and I like how they've done random events from pulses.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

jashman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #512 on: February 28, 2012, 09:55:09 pm »

Yeah, Paradox has about the best anti-piracy policy of anyone. The ire is almost comical. Your life is a million times more difficult because... you have to log in? Like you did to make these posts?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: February 28, 2012, 10:39:18 pm »

I'm gonna say that Paradox DRM is pretty durn refreshing.

Also... really?  You can't sign into a forum and input that serial key they gave you?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: February 28, 2012, 10:40:07 pm »

He pirated it, I believe.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: February 28, 2012, 11:06:22 pm »

Just nearly had my empire come across at the seams.  My Empress outlived her son by two years, leaving the throne to her underage grandson and giving a claim to his uncle, the king of Portugal (and Leon, and Castille).  At the same time the kid has horrible stats and a reputation for cruelty just to make sure he pisses off every duke in the realm.  About 1000 gold in bribes later I manage to get the revolt risk down to manageable levels but there's that nasty pretender there.  So I just bite the bullet and agree to marry his daughter.  Of course he's my uncle so that makes her my... half sister?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: February 28, 2012, 11:09:26 pm »

First-Cousin. That one is fairly straight forward.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: February 29, 2012, 07:02:41 am »

He pirated it, I believe.
^

Not paying 60+ dollars for this, waiting until they realize their DLC is a losing battle and release a real bugfix [still do not get any vassal opinion change from MOST events that are supposed to change them, other various things wrong or outright silly (too weak for allies even though you have 20k+ personal levies)] or two to consider spending my hard-earned dollars on it.

Also, about the fudged events, it annoys me because events typically boil down to two or three options:
Choice 1, get a positive attribute which has zero negative penalties to respect or any skill.
Choice 2, get a negative attribute or make someone hate you
Choice 3, render the entire 'event' useless and pick the option that does... nothing!

Not like CK1 where both negative/positive traits had their tradeoffs, and events can actually be refreshing and exciting due to the boons/curses not being such a blatant 'you get this' scenario. In CK1 most event decisions had multiple different factors that could kick in and make the seemingly-best choice end up terrible [such as child raising, which is dumbed down by about 10,000 factors now]. I dunno. It just all feels very unfinished, I mean, you people have checked out their common files? A majority of them seem very conspicuously empty. Seems like an excuse to make DLC to me.

I'm not trying to get you folks all e-pissed at me because I dislike this marketing strategy, what happened to Paradox being laid-back and not grabbing for every dime they can like EA (who people here hate unconditionally for the most part)? I bought HOI2, all the expansions, and had fun with every minute of it. That was my final Paradox purchase following EU3 being so horrible at launch and HOI3 being a terribly ugly and unbalanced beast at it's release. I'm tired of shoveling my money to companies I don't agree with and if that's an issue take the snottyness and leave it to yourselves. Tell me you've read the Paradox staff's posts on the forums and tell me they deserve your money with how high-and-mighty they all sound when confronted with a legitimate concern from the fans.

All I wish to do is mod, anyway.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 07:05:08 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: February 29, 2012, 08:38:09 am »

So you're upset that the small-enough-to-almost-count-as-indie niche game studio that hardly gets by on their own game (Crusader Kings was almost completely funded with the money their publisher-half got from Mount&Blade) doesn't want you to use their forums unless you pay for their game. Yes, that's extremely draconian of them, and just like EA's way of doing business, and not you having an overblown sense of entitlement at all.

There's nothing stopping you from making or finding another Crusader Kings modding forum, you know, and nothing stopping you from modding the game. I see no reason why Paradox should cater to people who don't even have the starch to actually pay for their services, however.

And about the coat-of-arms DLC - it's just flavour content. Paradox really doesn't make much money, and yeah, selling extra flavour to those who want it to get a continual income is not some kind of evil income. It doesn't add anything important to the game (and it certainly isn't comparable to, for example, when Bioware or Bethesda leaves out content that should have been in - and leaves a hole in - the base game from the beginning to sell as DLC's later), and nobody is forcing you to buy it. Hell, as far as I know, there isn't even anything stopping you from modding those shields into the game yourself.

Tell me you've read the Paradox staff's posts on the forums and tell me they deserve your money with how high-and-mighty they all sound when confronted with a legitimate concern from the fans.

Yup, I know, almost exactly like you sound now, you know. With the difference that they also have good reasons for changing to a DLC format, like not having to pay for things you don't care about, and being able to make use of new mechanics and patches without having to buy a new expansion.
Love, scriver~

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: February 29, 2012, 08:56:57 am »

I actually like their take on DRM. Tired of folks in modding forums of games like Total War having people openly admitting they had pirated (without even knowing it was illegal) the game and requesting for support.

Looking forward to this on sale, on my bloated buy-when-on-sale list

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: February 29, 2012, 08:58:09 am »

To be fair, CK2 is one of the finest quality games Paradox has made in-house, and I think it deserves the pricetag. If you whine about a couple of non-critical bugs as a reason for not buying, then I think you're just being defensive.

jashman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #521 on: February 29, 2012, 08:59:06 am »

Meh, pirate what you're going to pirate. I had this conversation earlier in this thread, as it is. But if you're going to then bitch about Paradox's no-DRM and minimal anti-piracy measures, expect to be mocked.

CKII was a full price purchase for me, first in years. No regrets. I do miss some aspects of CK1, but I couldn't even imagine going back to it without the Deus Vult expansion, either.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: February 29, 2012, 09:13:57 am »

Well I think I'm gonna end my Limoges France campaign, I achieved my goal essentially of rising a count to king. made it well into the 1300s.

Now I think I shall pick one of these Georgian counts. I was gonna pick the independent count but he had a family member as a Duke. If I wanted an well established dynasty I would play the Capets or something. :P
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 09:15:37 am by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: February 29, 2012, 10:53:12 am »

Yeah, Paradox has about the best anti-piracy policy of anyone. The ire is almost comical. Your life is a million times more difficult because... you have to log in? Like you did to make these posts?

Yeah it's awesome policy. Johnny buys CK2 for 25$ from a cdkey trader site, and shares the mod forum content with 20 of his buddies. [Even tho it's the best selling Paradox title AFAIK, you still got the picture.] .. not to mention that the best mods will be hosted outside of the Paradox forum anyway so.....heh. I am not saying that Paradox should use Starforce or crap like that, but this mehod won't stop the pirates either anyway.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: February 29, 2012, 11:07:24 am »

It's awesome in the sense that it doesn't hurt innocent customers.  So complaining about it shows that you are most certainly a pirate.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 1002