Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2092012 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #495 on: February 26, 2012, 07:43:35 pm »

insolence! Arrest him, and ransom him out of his money. :D
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #496 on: February 27, 2012, 12:15:28 am »

In my current game as the King of Ireland, the Sultanate of Africa managed to invade and kick italian ass and take over Rome. As soon as that happened, a Muslim pope was installed and I'm being called on Jihad's. Being a good Irishman, I created an antipope and am currently getting a whopping 400/yr income from all loyal Bishops. I've tried to find a way to install my antipope, or even claim Rome again, but the HRE had already reconquered it.

The Papacy, however, is still in Muslim control, no matter how many people I assassinate. Has anyone else encountered this fun?

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: February 27, 2012, 06:21:49 am »

In my current game as the King of Ireland, the Sultanate of Africa managed to invade and kick italian ass and take over Rome. As soon as that happened, a Muslim pope was installed and I'm being called on Jihad's. Being a good Irishman, I created an antipope and am currently getting a whopping 400/yr income from all loyal Bishops. I've tried to find a way to install my antipope, or even claim Rome again, but the HRE had already reconquered it.

The Papacy, however, is still in Muslim control, no matter how many people I assassinate. Has anyone else encountered this fun?

When I conquer the papacy it just moves to a random bishopry...

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: February 27, 2012, 05:22:57 pm »

Man I'm playing this game where my sister and my eldest son have been fighting a war against each other for six damn years over some completely pointless scrap of territory.  Every two weeks I find out that some member of my extended family is trying to kill some other member and I have to intervene to break up their squabbles.  Bandits freely roam the countryside but no one in my family wants to do anything about it.  But despite being the scum of the earth these people have the gumption to call themselves...

The Aristocrats!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: February 27, 2012, 07:12:51 pm »

Well whole plotting is a bit messed up for my taste. It doesn't matter if ur family have 100 relations with each other. It's caused by random choosing of ambitions by AIs. And since plots are only about wife/husband, liege and claimants/pretenders (close family in 90% cases) your kinsmen will always be trying to massacre each other.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: February 27, 2012, 11:23:44 pm »

For a period of about 8 years, my King of Ireland (who is Dutch) decided to be a Sunni Muslim just before he was able to offer vassalization to a bunch of neutral states caught in a French Civil War. Eight years later, the crisis ended when he realized "Wait, I'm not a Muslim", but by then the Holy Roman Empire had landed in Saxony and it was too late.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: February 28, 2012, 02:04:36 am »

Well whole plotting is a bit messed up for my taste. It doesn't matter if ur family have 100 relations with each other. It's caused by random choosing of ambitions by AIs. And since plots are only about wife/husband, liege and claimants/pretenders (close family in 90% cases) your kinsmen will always be trying to massacre each other.
I find that modding it so that certain traits preclude people from being evil bastards helps quite a bit. The game already has it so that the AI can't kill their spouse if they're Honest or Kind, just take that and make it so that nobody can kill someone if they're honest or kind. Plots which are deceptive can be modded to exclude honest people, and plots which seek to gain power can be modded to exclude content people.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: February 28, 2012, 02:29:24 am »

It does put you in the right mindset though. Absolutely everyone, all of them, hate you and want you dead. Opinion is just a combination of their loyalty and respect for you (i.e. how unpalitable open rebellion would seem as a way of achieving their goals), which I shouldn't think would affect the fact that what you have, they want, and they don't give a shit if you have to die for them to get it, no matter how much they respect you.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: February 28, 2012, 03:45:01 am »

I find that modding it so that certain traits preclude people from being evil bastards helps quite a bit. The game already has it so that the AI can't kill their spouse if they're Honest or Kind, just take that and make it so that nobody can kill someone if they're honest or kind. Plots which are deceptive can be modded to exclude honest people, and plots which seek to gain power can be modded to exclude content people.

I don't think Honesty really should prevent that sort of thing, but there should be a possible event similar to the one where a drunken plot member blabs about the plot. Instead it'd involve the character acting suspicious and somebody close to him/her confronting the plotter about his/her activities. The honest person would then divulge the plan and it would be up to the close friend/relative's opinion of the plotter and traits as to whether the plot is revealed at large.

Also, a lot of the 100 opinion family backstabbing is done because the check for positive opinion when removing it from AI consideration excludes characters with either Ambitious, Envious, or Deceitful.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: February 28, 2012, 09:04:24 am »

I just want one honest man.

I'm down with the idea that some people never learn and are plotting bastards 24/7.  But there should be people you can rely on, especially people that you have been very good to.  When you are near the top most people realize it's stupid to risk bringing the whole house down.

Just look at how my sister ended up in her gambit against my son.  I cut off the gravy train of free provinces and money towards her.  7 years of war depleted her holdings.  And then she got assassinated, presumably by my son (atta boy!)

Some people are going to damn the risks and toss away everything they have on a pair of sixes.  But there should be trustworthy people in the world.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: February 28, 2012, 09:30:43 am »

I do have to say the game currently seems to be channelling Game of Thrones a little bit more than it should be and the whole "trust no-one" vibe is a little too strong.
I think the AI should be more careful with kin-slaying and trying to bump off the king/ruler. Hell, in Hamlet we had horses eating other horses when the true king of Denmark was killed.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: February 28, 2012, 09:50:28 am »

It does get pretty bad, which is why I've been modding it a bit. I made even Envious/Ambitious/Deceitful characters check opinion, albeit at a much higher threshold. So they'll still be inclined to go stabby but not murder their best friend for wanting the same crumpet at dinner.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: February 28, 2012, 07:01:48 pm »

My disgust at Paradox making the Modding forum private has made me decide to release my changes to this game's rather poorly thought out mechanics. First will be the Female issues, then re-balancing of buildings [idea from a Paradox forumite], to making the entire game less of a gamey 'I have to wait for this cooldown to finish before I can do ANYTHING' experience and more of a dynastic medieval simulator. Traits are ridiculous too, as someone on the forums pointed out:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm not doing their completely fudged event system, though. I'm not that dedicated. If anyone like me wants to help and make an Unofficial Improvement mod, then let me know. Otherwise I'm doing this on my own, since Paradox is doing a great job of proving to me that they definitely don't deserve my money. Case-in-point, DLC for the dynastic coats-of-arms of a majority of the houses included in the game.

DLC. For the coat-of-arms. Of Noble Families. The game is called Crusader Kings, for fuck sake, are you serious?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 07:03:43 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: February 28, 2012, 07:06:45 pm »

Haven't the modding and tech support forums been private on all of their recent games?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: February 28, 2012, 07:07:48 pm »

Haven't the modding and tech support forums been private on all of their recent games?

In the name of combating piracy and making my time a million times more difficult. Pretty ridiculous considering they used to give a damn about the modding community's support for their often flawed games.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 1002