Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2092964 times)

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 announced!
« Reply #165 on: February 11, 2012, 11:04:06 am »

It seems to me you're desperately trying to justify your own lack of merit by dismissing others.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 11, 2012, 11:29:24 am »

Sorry for intrusion, but there is currently a lot of threads dedicated to merits and flaws of piracy. I don't think you need to hijack another one.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 11, 2012, 11:47:37 am »

And if you do insist on doing so, I proclaim that you hereby must call it "looting Byzantinum" rather than "pirating".
Love, scriver~

jashman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #168 on: February 11, 2012, 12:51:22 pm »

*latest rant*

Well, I see I was misunderstood a tad bit.  I don't care in the slightest what you think of my actions.  I'm not justifying anything I do, simply stating I'm perfectly fine with doing it.  Reviewers can be bought, demos are not always commonplace, and sometimes I just want to give a game a try that I have no intention of ever buying.  I run the gamut of reasons, "right" and "wrong".  You can see going against their release wishes as disrespectful; that is a decent point, but I see it as no more disrespectful than them pushing back the release date for marketing purposes.  And I don't really care either way, which is the opinion you seem to respect.  If I bought a Mercedes from a dealer and got it home only to see a news release from the company saying they didn't mean for anyone to have it for five more days... I'm driving that Mercedes.

You can spend/throw away your money however you like, more power to you, but the self-righteous tilt just makes you look silly.

It may be a marketing decision, but it also means the game is releasing as 1.03. The leaked version is the shitty, pre-release version, with a pretty big bug (that has been fixed).

You may consider that a shitty, pre-release version, but I consider it veritable gold.  I've been playing Paradox games for many years, some have had release-day patches, others not.  This is like the immaculate conception compared to a majority of their releases.

And if you do insist on doing so, I proclaim that you hereby must call it "looting Byzantinum" rather than "pirating".

Yeah, was never the intent. I think it mostly started with people joking about how Chattox is staring longingly at a disc.  Then someone decided to kick it up a notch.

Edit: And to have an actual gameplay slant to this post... has anyone seen an option for an adult character to convert religions? I've read there is an event chain if your liege is of a differing faith, and of course the option to force your vassals to convert.  Anything like a "Bam, unleavened bread ftw!" decision, though?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 12:55:09 pm by jashman »

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 11, 2012, 01:07:37 pm »

Well, I see I was misunderstood a tad bit.
...rant...
And you were, for that I apologize, I just kind of assumed you were the standard 'I don't hurt anyone, its not stealing' looter of Byzantium, seeing as you are not my post was misguided and inappropriate. As long as I now understand that you are a willful thief of intellectual property, I have no issue with you and I apologize for my previous attacks. As I said, its not about the action but the lies told to justify the action. And I realize now you do not attempt to justify the action and admit it is stealing.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 01:09:50 pm by Goron »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 11, 2012, 01:18:48 pm »

Anyway, I just discovered you can play as any character in the demo, not only the Christian ones.
New goal: Romuva HRE.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 11, 2012, 01:30:35 pm »

I long for the day when the only copy protection was it asking you to copy words from the manual  :'(

Or code wheels. I'm pretty sure I still have my code wheels from the SSI Gold Box D&D games.

As far as the other thing, I've...uhh...looted Byzantium probably more times than the real Crusaders did. Paradox in particular, because of the difficulty of finding local distributors who even carried their games. I am now a fully legal owner of over half a dozen of their games, providing yet another example that if you make a good product (and find a convenient way for people to get it, like Steam), they'll buy it if they like it. I grabbed a less-than-legal copy of EU: Rome and was so glad that I did, because I might never had trusted Paradox again if I had plunked down $40 for that steaming turd.

If I like it, I'll buy it. If I don't, I'll delete it. It's that simple.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 11, 2012, 01:35:09 pm »

I have pirated most 'big' Paradox games and only bought EU3 (Steam). I will definitely buy CKII but as I need to save some money I'll just pirate it a few days after release and buy it as soon as I can afford to spend money again :).

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 11, 2012, 01:38:56 pm »

I had hoped to have squirreled away enough gold to buy it at release, but I had a severe winter and had to keep the peasants from starving.

But since I still have so many freakin' games from the Steam winter sale that I haven't even touched, I'll probably just dink around with the demo until I can save up. By then they'll have had a good chance to find and squash any more herpaderp bugs.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 11, 2012, 01:55:53 pm »

Did you try Rome with the expansion, RedKing? It's a big improvement over the base game. Then again, I always loved Rome less because of what it was and more for all the damn potential it had. It really didn't get the love it deserved from the devs. Point in case how their last patch left it with w game-breaking alliance cascade bug... Well, all that hope is on Rome2 now, whenever it shows up.
Love, scriver~

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 11, 2012, 02:09:15 pm »

Come on, there are so many Paradox games and expansions. Are you seriously suggesting he spend more dollahs on an expansion for game he didn't like?

Let it go and focus on CK2 already.

Why can't I hold all those duchies?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 11, 2012, 02:16:19 pm »

No, I was wondering if he was saying Rome was crap with or without the expansion. He also didn't spend any money on it :P

Why can't I hold all those duchies?

Because it's feudality, of course.
Love, scriver~

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 11, 2012, 02:23:59 pm »

I had a fun game in Ethiopia today. Starting as the duke of Axum, I immediately swore fealty to the Shia Caliph and started conquering Abyssinia and Harar to form the kingdom of Abyssinia myself. My 2nd ruler got converted to Shi'ism and after my heir and his educators started to convert as well I just playing as Shi'ite from than on. I didn't change my Ethiopian culture though.

Nothing really happened near me from than on, except the Shia Caliphate being very stable thanks to my support (read: I didn't start BS wars like '7th war of Mameluke Independence.' >.>). I wish I could say the other nations were as stable as that. The Spanish Christian states only fought each other and were quickly eaten by the Sunni's. Aquitaine got independent, expanded south and reformed the kingdom of Aragon. Normandy left France a few years later. England was conquered by Norway, as they always seem to do, and one succession later it was split between York, Lancaster and some smaller counties. Scotland fragmented as well, and the Isles conquered Brittany. Ireland than formed and conquered parts of Provence. Wales and al-Andalus quickly followed. The Byzantine Empire was very fragile and my glorious Shia Caliphate than conquered it. The Holy Roman Empire dissolved very soon as well and resulted in various semi-large duchies and Bohemia. Persia, formed by the Seljuk Turks, fragmented as well, although it was still 99% Seljuk (Dynasty).

Too bad you can't save :|

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 11, 2012, 03:02:25 pm »

Hold the phone. How do you play as other kingdoms in the demo?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 11, 2012, 03:04:02 pm »

A customer who bought the game can't play it. When he complains it's is called greediness. What has this world come to?

Anyway, did you guys watch Crusader Kings II - Seven Deadly Sins trailers? That's what I call marketing! I'm too lazy to check the pages but I'm sure somebody posted a link to one of them here.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 1002